Woosh Woosh Rio eMTB - alternatives

namwos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2020
Hi all,

New to eBikes, looking to get something mostly for commuting. I'm 5'7 and around 60kg, my commute is >50% off-road (dirt tracks), so a MTB seems appropriate, and the Rio looked like a great option.

However, having spoken to Woosh yesterday, it looks like there won't be any more stock until Summer 2021! I don't really want to wait that long.

So, what are my options? What other comparable eMTBs are out there in a similar price range?

Woosh - if you're reading this - is there any chance you'll be getting these any sooner than next summer?!

Thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
re-ordering is easy enough, but we run out of space and manpower.
I wish we could take on extra help but we can't because of COVID distancing, only members of the same family can work in the same room. So we are stuck with more or less the same capacity albeit we have more orders and work extra hours.

namwos

Mar 22, 2020
Thanks Woosh, I do appreciate that things are difficult at the moment.

I would like to wait for the Rio, but if you are 100% sure it won’t be earlier than next summer, then I will investigate other options.

In that case, what would people suggest as other options?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can ride the Camino and Gran-Camino.
They are really lovely bikes, perfect for commuting in comfort.
Smooth and quiet.

namwos

Mar 22, 2020
Thanks Woosh. Couple of questions on the Camino:
1. The web page says it suits height over 5’8. Will it be too large for me?
2. Will this suit the dirt tracks / gravel paths on my commute?
3. When will these be in stock?

Thanks again

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
1. I think it's OK for your height
2. yes
3. please have a word with Hatti (01702 435566)

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
Wow I must have got one of the last RIO's in stock as mine was delivered early July. So glad I did as It is a lovely little bike that's for sure. :D Thanks Woosh!

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
re-ordering is easy enough, but we run out of space and manpower.
I wish we could take on extra help but we can't because of COVID distancing, only members of the same family can work in the same room. So we are stuck with more or less the same capacity albeit we have more orders and work extra hours.
what about out sourcing certain jobs to people like on a production line?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
what about out sourcing certain jobs to people like on a production line?
Then Woosh loose the in house control and possibly quality control of said bikes, the production runs would also have to be massively greater.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

namwos

Mar 22, 2020
Looks like the Rio has gone even from the Woosh website now.

Will it ever be coming back?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
possibly next summer, depending on demand.
Covid inflated demand for bikes this year, forcing us to choose which models to prioritise. We chose the new models to the detriment of older models: Camino, Gran-Camino, Faro, Rambla and Rambletta.
The older models being relegated to next year are: Krieger, Rio MTB, Big Bear LS and Crusa

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think maybe some mtb 's have had their day and hybrid's with 700c and better tyre choice are more in vogue now.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Then Woosh loose the in house control and possibly quality control of said bikes, the production runs would also have to be massively greater.
only suggestion neal but I can’t see why not if he needs to gear up operations. Source out various jobs not the whole build, then completely check before shipping.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
demand has been exceptionally high this year but the signs are that it's only transient. Things will get back to normal again very soon.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Hi all,

New to eBikes, looking to get something mostly for commuting. I'm 5'7 and around 60kg, my commute is >50% off-road (dirt tracks), so a MTB seems appropriate, and the Rio looked like a great option.

However, having spoken to Woosh yesterday, it looks like there won't be any more stock until Summer 2021! I don't really want to wait that long.

So, what are my options? What other comparable eMTBs are out there in a similar price range?

Woosh - if you're reading this - is there any chance you'll be getting these any sooner than next summer?!

Thanks!
Not sure of the price of these, but I (along with several others on here) have bought an Oxygen S Cross MTB, which are, I think, a similar spec?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi all,

Thanks!
You do not need an MTB for the off road paths and dirt tracks you specify.

Almost any ebike of reasonable quality will be well capable of those conditions, and in most cases, more suited to those conditions.

If you fancy a Woosh, the Camino would do the job.

About the worst that might happen is the mudguards will clog if it's very muddy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Camino and Gran-Camino are back in stock next week.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
possibly next summer, depending on demand.
Covid inflated demand for bikes this year, forcing us to choose which models to prioritise. We chose the new models to the detriment of older models: Camino, Gran-Camino, Faro, Rambla and Rambletta.
The older models being relegated to next year are: Krieger, Rio MTB, Big Bear LS and Crusa
What about the Santana3 which fits what I'm looking for nicely?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they are in stock. Lead time is about 1 week for a build slot.

LSR

Jul 1, 2020
Wigan
Thanks Woosh. Couple of questions on the Camino:
1. The web page says it suits height over 5’8. Will it be too large for me?
2. Will this suit the dirt tracks / gravel paths on my commute?
3. When will these be in stock?

Thanks again

I took delivery of the Gran Camino about 4 weeks ago. It will certainly do what you're asking in your original post and will handle dirt tracks with ease. Only caveat is if it's really loose/muddy a more specific off road tyre might be in order. The tyres it's fitted with are great and do what they're supposed to but are not MTB tyres.

You can also lock the suspension out form the handle bar when you hit the road. It's pretty much a great commuter.

Cheers

Les