Woosh Woosh RIO fb Throttle

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
The throttle on my 2017 Woosh RIO FB only works if I'm moving.
In other words it won't start the bike from standstill.
Can anyone tell me if this function can be enabled.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's programmed into the controller to comply with the law.
after it's activated, it will stay on until you let go of the throttle lever or squeeze the brakes. So it's possible to ride for a while on throttle.
If you brake, pedal again for a couple of seconds to re-activate it.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I have found a way of setting off without pedalling. For example, if I arrive at a junction with the throttle applied and brake to stop, if I keep the throttle applied, I can set off again as soon as I release the brakes without pedalling. But be much easier, if it worked as any other throttle worked. Can it be re-programmed?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
theoretically possible but...
some people use the Lishui bluetooth adapter to do that.
I have never tried.
I only reload the firmware that comes with each model, never tried to change anything myself.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the bluetooth adaptor, I see that you sell it, can you assure me it works ok with the controller on my bike before I buy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
no. The LCD on your Rio FB is not a King Meter.
(I've tried it, the software loads but the protocol is wrong).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want to 'upgrade':
the cheapest way is to get a KT 36V/48V controller and KT LCD. They are flexible.
The motor can also be run safely at 48V if you want to do that.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
if you want to 'upgrade':
the cheapest way is to get a KT 36V/48V controller and KT LCD. They are flexible.
The motor can also be run safely at 48V if you want to do that.
Thanks again, could you be more specific. For example would the conversion be a straight swap plug and play so to speak. Any wiring problems? Can you supply or are you able to link me to a supplier of the type you suggest. I have just watched a video on how to set the KT-LCD3 up it looks very comprehensive and as you say is very flexible. Something I'm very interested in. Incidentally the bike has been excellent in the time I've had it, a credit to you. I eventually changed the tyres to Schwalbe Space we spoke about some months ago, I like them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the last time I had a KT kit was 6 years ago. Things have changed since.
There are a few members who run KT kits on their bikes like vfr400 and NealH.
You need an HL controller, a KT LCD and a new waterproof cable.
I am not sure that the Polly controller from KT would fit Hailong battery case.
They are very similar but may not be identical.
You have to ask the vendor, they should know.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
the last time I had a KT kit was 6 years ago. Things have changed since.
There are a few members who run KT kits on their bikes like vfr400 and NealH.
You need an HL controller, a KT LCD and a new waterproof cable.
I am not sure that the Polly controller from KT would fit Hailong battery case.
They are very similar but may not be identical.
You have to ask the vendor, they should know.
You're confusing me, you first said the cheapest way is to get a KT 36V/48V controller and KT LCD. Now you've just said I need an HL Controller and a KT LCD, a new waterproof cable and possibly a new battery case. That's just about everything except the motor. What's an HL Controller?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I should have said 'You need an KT HL controller'.
Like Lishui, KT make their controllers in HL format and other formats, like their Polly controller.
It's the same circuitry packaged differently to be integrated into the battery base of main models.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I should have said 'You need an KT HL controller'.
Like Lishui, KT make their controllers in HL format and other formats, like their Polly controller.
It's the same circuitry packaged differently to be integrated into the battery base of main models.
Thanks, Gotcha.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I've spent all day looking for a KT HL Controller. And have found one in China that might fit. Nothing in the UK. I guess the country isn't ready for EBikes yet. So giving up. I'll probably buy a rear wheel kit complete with KT Controller and build my own bike. All I wanted to do was program the throttle to work from standstill.

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
On the woosh Rio you can hold in minus button which will pull you away to walking speed

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
On the woosh Rio you can hold in minus button which will pull you away to walking speed
Yes, I was aware of that, thanks. But not as good as the method I have recently discovered. The Bike accelerates really well and keeps on going without pedalling. There should be a way of enabling it, making it much easier to use.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
I've spent all day looking for a KT HL Controller. And have found one in China that might fit. Nothing in the UK. I guess the country isn't ready for EBikes yet. So giving up. I'll probably buy a rear wheel kit complete with KT Controller and build my own bike. All I wanted to do was program the throttle to work from standstill.
I have an FB and I was looking to update my display also. I love the bike, but have decided to build another bike next year to include all the things I want after learning more about ebikes. I'll probably still keep the FB though.

Anyway I believe you can get the KT HL Controller from aliexpress if you do a search for KT Hialong Controller.

BTW what size Schwalbe Space tyres did you get and how much were they?

Cheers

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I have an FB and I was looking to update my display also. I love the bike, but have decided to build another bike next year to include all the things I want after learning more about ebikes. I'll probably still keep the FB though.

Anyway I believe you can get the KT HL Controller from aliexpress if you do a search for KT Hialong Controller.

BTW what size Schwalbe Space tyres did you get and how much were they?

Cheers
Thanks Mike, yes a custom build is the way to go I think, rather than hack the FB. I've not tried shopping from Aliexpress, I must give it a go. I actually bought my Schwalbe Space tyres from Bikester, I've just had a look and they appear to be out of stock. I paid £26.97 for two inc delivery via DPD. They look good on the bike and ride well. I used the existing tubes. The tyre spec is:-
SCHWALBE Space Wired-on Tire 26" K-Guard SBC black (Wheel width 60-559 | 26x2.35")​

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
You can get just about get anything off aliexpress. Just watch out for customs tax. If the item is small enough you can ask the seller to declare the item as being less than £15 value. But generally speaking most of the time it's not a problem, just be aware that items are randomly selected for customs duty, plus handling fee.

I like my 3" tyres, so will probably stick to them, but would be nice to find some spare ones.

Reactions: richardg6paj

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Recently all of my buys ( four) via Aliexp have been opened and relabelled, I assume to check goods vs values quoted. No duty to pay as they fall under the rated value but multi buy bike chains, chain rings etc,etc have been checked.

Reactions: richardg6paj