Woosh Sirocco PAS not working

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Hi All,
I'm working on my son-in-law's 2013 Woosh Sirocco which hadn't been ridden for a couple of years as the battery was dead.
I've fitted a new 36v 10Ah bottle battery. The bike now runs well on the throttle but the PAS isn't working.
I have some questions members may be able to help with.
1. The PAS led is continually lit; does that indicate a fault?
2. Should the PAS magnets be visible?
3. Does the speed inhibiter play any part in the PAS setup?
4. How can I check the speed inhibiter is working?

I've attached pictures of the both the PAS sensor and speed inhibiter.

Many thanks in advance.
Jim

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
1. The PAS led is continually lit; does that indicate a fault?
yes.

2. Should the PAS magnets be visible?
No. The magnet disc is behind the silver cup.
If the magnet disc is stuck, it may cause the LED to stay on.

3. Does the speed inhibiter play any part in the PAS setup?
No. The maximum speed is set in the LCD. Please note that we don't support derestriction.
4. How can I check the speed inhibiter is working?
Your second picture shows the spoke magnet of the speed sensor.
Did you mean the speed sensor? There is a LED on it which should flash when the magnet passes in front of the sensor.
LCD manual:
Bike manual:

Email support@wooshbikes.co.uk for replacement parts and assistance.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
yes.

No. The magnet disc is behind the silver cup.
If the magnet disc is stuck, it may cause the LED to stay on.

No. The maximum speed is set in the LCD. Please note that we don't support derestriction.

Your second picture shows the spoke magnet of the speed sensor.
Did you mean the speed sensor? There is a LED on it which should flash when the magnet passes in front of the sensor.
LCD manual:
Bike manual:

Email support@wooshbikes.co.uk for replacement parts and assistance.
Thanks for that.
Answer 2. Is it possible to free up the magnets?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for that.
Answer 2. Is it possible to free up the magnets?
yes but you'll need a tool (£5) to remove the silver cup.

Reactions: Poolepete

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
yes but you'll need a tool (£5) to remove the silver cup.
Thanks Woosh.
PAS problem. I removed the crank on the PAS side and the sensor. When I rotated the crank I could see the magnets revolving; does that mean they aren't sticking?
Jim

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have a meter test the PAS wiring if possible to see if a fault shows up, the one can stop guessing at the issue.
Place the probes up the back of the PAS connection & on V+/Red and V- /Black one should see 5v. Next place the Red probe on the other wire/Signal, rotate the cranks and the voltage should switch in the region of 0.6v - 4.3v or so.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
PAS update. I disconnected the PAS SM connector and cleaned the pins up a bit and hey presto it's now working as it should. I'm a bit surprised Julet connectors weren't fitted seeing how close to the road they are.
I'm also pleasantly surprised how quiet the Bafang crank motor is after all these years; much quieter than my newish hub motor.
I've given the bike back to my son-in-law who is over the moon because his last mile home on his daily commute is up Portsdown Hill from Portsmouth.
When he doesn't need the bike I shall try and fix the speed/trip sensor.
Thanks again.
Jim

Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's the beauty of SM connectors the pins are stronger so not easily damaged unlike Julet pins, also damn site better if ever needed to take voltage readings.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Woosh Sirocco latest. My son-in-law commuted to work on his bike all last week but on Sunday he switched on and is just getting a blank display; is there a standard test procedure I should do to try and track down the fault?
The controller is located in the base of the bottle battery holder and is totally encased in gel.
Any ideas most welcome.
Thanks.
Jim

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A blank display usually means no power to it. Some KM displays have a back up battery, can't remember now if this is just for time etc and whether it actually affects the operation. Check the battery discharge voltage in case the internal or external accessible fuse has blown.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
One step forward and two back. To clarify my son-in-law's bike is a Sirocco Sport CD (2013).
Andy at Woosh kindly sent me a King Power J-LCD to try after confirming the one I sent him was dead. Andy is away for the weekend so I haven't been able to tell him that after switching on the display following about 8 seconds of normal appearance it comes up with an error 30 indicating 'abnormal communication'. I haven't attempted to ride it but with the bike off the ground everything is working, throttle, PAS, brakes for about 25 seconds then display and motor shut down.
The controller is built into the bottom of the battery holder. Whilst testing I have partially removed it from the battery holder and can see the circuit board which is encased in gel. When I switch on the display unit a red led on the circuit board flashes until shutdown.
The only component I haven't tested is the speed sensor which hasn't worked for ages and didn't seem to effect performance.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Error 30 (communication error) is usually caused by a faulty sensor such as throttle or speed sensor or pedal sensor or a short circuit in the wiring loom.
Unplug one at a time, then check again.
in order:
- throttle
- speed sensor
- pedal sensor
If the error does not go away, then email Andy again.