Woosh Sirocco Sport CD 2013 controller

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
A bit of advice needed please.
The J-LCD display on my son-in-law’s crank driven ebike packed up, I replaced it but got an error 30. Hoping it was something simple like the wiring loom that comes from the controller up through the frame to the handlebars I replaced that but still got the error 30. I am now suspecting the controller is duff.

With the battery disconnected I tested the loom pin outs for continuity with a multimeter and found two of the sockets on the connector to the display are shorted. I checked the wires coming out of the controller to the loom and black and orange in the middle of the picture are shorted; would this indicate the controller is duff?

Sirocco controller.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Error 30 can originate from one of the sensors. Basically, the 5V line is shorted to ground somewhere. Start by unplugging the speed sensor, pedal sensor and throttle.
If that does not clear the error, email support@wooshbikes.co.uk - Andy will help you.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks Woosh but I didn't have any of the sensors connected. Am I right to suspect the controller if two of the wires (black and orange) coming out of it are shorted?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's possible but you have to ask Andy@wooshbikes.co.uk. he is the one with the soldering iron.
I only know things superficially.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes if showing up as a fault then the controller is potted/siliconed so replacement will be simplest as it is a few years old.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks Neal. I am led to believe the new display may be one of a faulty batch so I haven't 100% confidence in it. I've read elsewhere it may be possible to bypass the display by fitting a jumper between two of the connector pins; is that worth a try? If it is which two pins?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Red and Blue, Red is battery power and Blue is power to controller, if the motor works then yes you can rule out the controller as faulty.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You may need to jump Black to Yellow possibly as well you do with the KT's,

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Hi Neal, I'm having trouble identifying which pins to jump. A while back I fitted a new wiring loom with HiGo connectors hoping that was causing the error 30 so I have a spare loom. I cut the 5 pin Higo connector off the old loom and the wire colours are not the same as you describe. See below.
The orange wire socket is giving battery voltage and the black one is ground but I don't know what the green and white do. There is a purple wire but it isn't terminated at either end of the loom.
Can you suggest which of these sockets I should jump?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You're missing a wire. You can't work an ebike LCD with 4 wires. You need:

Battery voltage to power the LCD (normally red or orange)
Switched (by LCD) battery voltage to power the controller (normally blue, pink or orange)
Transmit data (green or white)
Receive data (white or green)
Ground (black)

In Your picture, if the orange has battery voltage on it when disconnected, the wire that powers the controller is missing, and it would explain why the LCD can't communicate with the controller. It's because the unpowered controller is fast asleep, which can ve verified by checking any of the 5v wires, which will also be fast asleep.

Reactions: Tony1951

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
There is a CR2032 battery inside the display which I did thought was just for the clock but perhaps it supplies operating power as well.
At the controller end of the loom I can see the purple wire which is cut off as it emerges from the outer insulation.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There is a CR2032 battery inside the display which I did thought was just for the clock but perhaps it supplies operating power as well.
At the controller end of the loom I can see the purple wire which is cut off as it emerges from the outer insulation.
There's your problem. In order for the controller to get power, that purple wire needs to be connected to the orange one, which is what the LCD does. The battery in the LCD has nothing to do with the ebike control system. It's just for the memory in the LCD.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Here is a picture of the eight wires coming away from the controller into the loom. You can see the end of the purple wire as it enters the loom. That's how it has always been.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I count 8 wires, not 4, and that doesn't include the purple!

The 8 wires are:
Battery
Switched battery
Tx
Rx
Ground
Throttle 5v
Throttle sig
Brake sig
9th wire is probably lights.

Why didn't you spread the wires out so that we can see the colours?
Purple is usually the throttle 5v, so did your throttle ever work?

Here's Julet colours and connections that I did a few years ago. It might be Higo. Nobody knew the difference then:

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Higo wiring loom, was the previous wire loom also a Higo ?

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Yes the bike has always had the old style HiGo connectors which have an orientation flat rather than a pip.
I've just checked the loom for continuity and there is a path between the socket in the connector going to the display, which I had as not being used, to a pin on the 9 pin connector coming from the controller; the colour of that wire coming from the controller is buff.
Assuming this pin on the display connector is the Controller Power Control wire and going back to my original question re bypassing what I think may be a dodgy display unit, shall I fit a jumper from this pin to the pin carrying battery voltage? And if need be jump from the ground pin to the display data tx pin?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't guess. If you connect the wrong wires, you can do a ot of damage. Only a meter will show you which wire is switching when you switch on the LCD.

Mappier

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2020
Here is a sketch showing wire connections coming from the controller. Should I be concerned that black AND orange connect to the middle socket?