would love my new Haibike sduro 7.0 to go 10mph faster

Gnomes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2019
Im new to Pedelecs and hi everyone ;) . ive have recently purchased a new Haibike sduro 7.0 that i will use mostly for commuting to work . i would LOVE if i could get another 5 - 10mph top speed . i have been googling dongles for the last four hours and there is just so much out there .
the Badass looks the simplest as it simply just clips on but im not keen of the false speed readings . then there are the SPEEDBOXS , BIKESPEED RS , and many others .
they are all fairly expensive at £130 - £150 and i would love to get some advice what would suit my needs best and what is the most reliable .
i have seen this one that looks good and quite reasonable at £85 https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/eplus-spdunlk2km-ebike-tuning-kit-racing-speed-unlocker-20-bosch-real-speed-and-distance/439850/
this one is just under £56 https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/polini-950830031-tuning-kit-hi-speed-ebike-bosch-active-performance-cx-line/111146/
this is under £70 https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/polini-950830036-tuning-kit-hi-speed-2-ebike-bosch-engine-actaul-speed/415757/
are all dongles maintainence free and basically work forever or will updates stop them working .

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I guess a dongle itself should be reliable (as long as it works in the first place), but will put more stress on the motor and make it less reliable; and therefore almost certainly void the warranty. And of course, make the bike illegal for road use unless you get tax, license and insurance.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
the Badass looks the simplest as it simply just clips on but im not keen of the false speed readings .
You can get a cheap bike computer from aliexpress for about a tenner.

Reactions: Gnomes

Gnomes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2019
I guess a dongle itself should be reliable (as long as it works in the first place), but will put more stress on the motor and make it less reliable; and therefore almost certainly void the warranty. And of course, make the bike illegal for road use unless you get tax, license and insurance.
are there any dongles that do not put so much stress on the motor as i only really want another 5 or 10mph for short periods... as regards to it being illegal , how can one tell if its the cyclist doing the lets say 22mph or its the dongel contributing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles dont do anything bar remove the speed limit there just a electromagnet i have a bad ass dongle and has been on my bike since 2014 with no problems.

others need wiring in to the motor but will give you the right speed on the display but you need the right one for the motor on the bike.

Reactions: Gnomes

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
are there any dongles that do not put so much stress on the motor as i only really want another 5 or 10mph for short periods... as regards to it being illegal , how can one tell if its the cyclist doing the lets say 22mph or its the dongel contributing
It's illegal to ride an e-bike that isn't restricted (unless you have it taxed/insured etc. as an electric moped). It would void your warranty and probably your bike insurance.

It does of course depend upon the manufacturers/insurers/police ever becoming aware of it.

This is unlikely in most normal commuter use situations, and I'd agree that an extra 10pmh or so would be ideal on road commutes to keep up with traffic flows more easily, but if you use a dongle or similar, hit someone and cause serious harm and the police do find out, you could be a fair amount of trouble.

Reactions: mike killay