Would wiring three 5W LED lights to the 6V wire on the BBS01b be too much for the controller?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You don't need anything - just wires. The lights already can run off any voltage up to 80v. It's not very efficient to run them off the 6v supply because there are too many conversion losses. Running from the battery, there is only one conversion, and that's inside the light.
Thank you, that's good to know - I'll add inline fuses, they seem like a good idea before I connect anything up.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Below are the light's spec ,they have an integral buck converter. As vfr says wire direct off the battery/controller supply and run them off a switch and if you like an inline fuse.

985CS Features:

1. Power: 3 W

2. Input:DC 6 V-80 V

3. Brightness:5050 3 V LED >60 lux

4. Standard:Europe DC-6 V/9 W System

5. Material:Aluminum,high quality e-bike light

6. Wire:Length 1.5 meter

7. IP X 3 waterproof,heavy rain waterproof

8. Temperature:<48

EF-707CS Features:

1. Power:5 W

2. Input: DC 6 V-80 V

3. Brightness:5050 3 V LED >100 lux

4. Material:Aluminum,high quality e-bike light

5. Wire:Length 1.5 meter

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Below are the light's spec ,they have an integral buck converter. As vfr says wire direct off the battery/controller supply and run them off a switch and if you like an inline fuse.

985CS Features:

1. Power: 3 W

2. Input:DC 6 V-80 V

3. Brightness:5050 3 V LED >60 lux

4. Standard:Europe DC-6 V/9 W System

5. Material:Aluminum,high quality e-bike light

6. Wire:Length 1.5 meter

7. IP X 3 waterproof,heavy rain waterproof

8. Temperature:<48

EF-707CS Features:

1. Power:5 W

2. Input: DC 6 V-80 V

3. Brightness:5050 3 V LED >100 lux

4. Material:Aluminum,high quality e-bike light

5. Wire:Length 1.5 meter
Thank you for taking the trouble to look those details up. I've just found this, which might be worth buying - it goes between the controller and the battery, lights are switched on via the display and it also provides brake light functionality:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's a 3A limit on that group adapter, but at 36V and 5W per light = 0.13888888889A per light, would that mean I could have 21.5999 lights connected? Not that I would, of course ;)o_O... I wonder if that's a buck converter down to 6V, on the cable?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It tells you if you scroll down the page 5v - 24v input so yes with 24v output.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not great with electronics, terrible in fact - if none of you eletro boffins can see anything wrong with trying this out, I'll just buy it because it avoids my having to learn anything new, or indeed attempt soldering, which nearly always goes badly.

The green "Brake light signal output" - I'm guessing that needs to be connected to the black wire (the black of the red and black pair) for the rear light?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've ordered it, let's see if it works as advertised. Via Speedpak, about two weeks.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd like to install an inline fuse - where would be the best location and which ampage of use should I use? I'm thinking of putting it on the black wire, where the big yellow arrow is pointing:

...or should it go on the red wire? Sorry, I'm a bit hopeless with electronics, but the main reason why I'd like to make sure of avoiding moisture caused short circuit problems is because a couple of weeks ago, the entire motor was briefly submerged in water due to a sudden short thunderstorm and I found myself in a large puddle deep enough to cover both pedals of the bike. If it hadn't had been an ebike, I couldn't have pedalled my way through... but it powered ahead making a bow wave. I've got video of it somewhere, the motor and some connectors were completely submerged in dirty water for about 15 seconds - I worried that the controller inside the motor might have been soaked and damaged, but there's no external sign of that ... I dried the bike out ASAP next to a radiator for a day. A bit of water dripped out of the motor while it dried, but the bike still works great. I think that covering all of the connectors with self amalgamating rubber tape prevented short circuits, which brings me back to why I want an inline fuse on this device: that looks like that's only heatshrink covering the "Power module", so when it arrives, I'll put that in a little (aluminium, for cooling, if I can find a very small one) waterproof box.

Would one of these quick blow fuses be suitable?

...it shouldn't be drawing more than 3A with those lights (5W+5W+3W), therefore a 3A fuse?

Inline fuse holder:

Do Bafang cover their bbs01b controller circuit boards with silicone? My washing machine controller has a thick layer of some sort of clear silicone (or other plastic) all over it, bloody good idea - it's been functioning perfectly for 10 years, apart from a house move dislodging a wire which frayed (jolted out of a plastic retaining clip during the move) while on spin cycles, intermittently flaying about as it did so and touching the metal shell causing a short, but I digress (it's fixed [soldered{badly}]).

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fuse on the Red v+, other wise the current will keep popping the fuse on the Black v-.

The Bafang's are potted completely in a Grey silicone.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Fuse on the Red v+ is usually normal.

The Bafang's are potted completely in a Grey silicone.
Thank you, that's good to know - electronics are not my forte, but neither is laying down loft insulation, but I did that yesterday. Thank goodness for Dysons and HEPA filters is all I can say...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Look for mini/micro blade inline fuse holder.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Look for mini/micro blade inline fuse holder.
Are those quick blow fuses? I couldn't find a micro blade fuse for 36V, at any amp, or doesn't the voltage matter?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 12v car ones work fine.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This mount works very well indeed - can be adjusted precisely on the handlebar:

I plan to have three in total (for now), two on the handlebar and one in the fork.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ideally, I'd like the two on the handlebar to strobe:

They're allowed to strobe 240 times (or more) a minute. Might better alert dosy drunk drivers at night.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I should receive this 6V group adapter this week - it's "Arrived at the destination hub". I'll enclose the power module in one of these of the right size, to waterproof:

...wrapped with self amalgamating tape. The flanges will make it easier to mount with zipties, somewhere. I'd use an aluminium box but unless it gets very hot, plastic should do? I can't find very small aluminium boxes with flanges on ebay delivered fast from the UK.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It arrived today - 10 days to delivery from China, not bad. There's a small roll of solder included in the bag, and a couple of heat shrink sleeves. The power module is covered in what might be self-adhesive heat shrink, but I doubt that it would prevent water ingress if my bike was submerged again. I never imagined that all of the lower electrical connections on my bike would ever be completely submerged... I'll cover the power module completely with self amalgamating rubber tape, and hope it doesn't oveheat too much in use. I'll order a 3A blade fuse and holder. The pins on the round connecting cables were not protected in transit with temporary covers - rather a lot of small things rattling around in the bag, which could have bent pins. Anyway, here's a photo or two:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've also ordered another one of these:

Why am I so obsessed with lights? BECAUSE DRIVERS ARE CYCLIST-BLIND! One of the two lights on the handlebars will be pointed at a 25 (or 30) degree angle towards the left, to wake up those idiot, drowsy or drunk drivers who continue to rush out at me at intersections and roundabouts, unseeing and suddenly hitting the brakes, very shortly after accelerating, then swearing, at intersections. The other one on the handlebar will be pointed at drivers directly ahead - the beams cannot be altered... I'd prefer a wider dispersion via an adjustable lens, but I suppose I could stick a thin diffraction grating magnifying lens over that light. The one on the fork will light up potholes. Maybe I should get a third light on the handlebar to point 25 (or 30) degrees to my right, for unseeing drivers rushing at me at roundabouts. Bloody drivers!

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggyGun