Wren Freego electric bike

margot

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2023
I need to replace my wren freego battery. The company has dissolved now.
I don't know how to remove it from the bike.
Any advice. Also where to go to get a new battery. I live in Leicester
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Freego Wren uses a battery case type known as a ' Silver fish' simpy input the word in to ebay and plenty will come up also e-bikesdirect bought up all of the spares so take alook at their website. One has to just make sure that any new battery matches the bikes operating voltage so 24v or 36v , the battery wh /ah doesn't matter as it is simply an indicator of capacity which = how far one can ride and for how long.

One should have keys that turn on the battery and lock the battery in-situ, it then simply lifts out from behind the seat post.

Nearly all Silverfish type batteries come with anew fitting kit , so should the case be slightly different or longer /shorter or dimensions differ a few mill a compentent person can swap out the parts. If retro fitting the base plate with the electrical connection then one must make sur ethe wire polarity is correct ( this means that the +/- pins orientation match those on the battery).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The Freego batteries are slightly different to standard silver fish ones. A competent person might be able to adapt the bike to make the change.

First step is to remove your battery and photograph it. To remove it, you insert the key, push the lock inwards and rotate the key. Tilt the saddle after operating the release lever under the back, then you pull the battery upwards using the folded handle on top of it.

Powabyke have some Freego batteies, but you need to check that your one matches exactly because I think there might be different versions between old and new Freegos.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Here is an example of what thousands of buyers of bikes with built in batteries have to look forward to in the years to come

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here is an example of what thousands of buyers of bikes with built in batteries have to look forward to in the years to come
In this case, it's not exactly difficult - take the battery out, check that it's the same as what the seller is offering and buy it. I think you're going to find that replacing your battery is not going to be as straight forward as you think, though, like everything, it's easy when you know how. If you take it back to the shop, I'm sure that they'll be able to sort it out for you when the time comes, but, of course, you'll have to pay for that.

The main point, though is that any battery of the right voltage will work on these bikes. You just have to figure out the way to fit it. It's the bikes with special-shaped batteries and those locked behind comms protocols that cause replacement problems, which often restrict the future use of your bike to either a non-assisted one or a nice trellis for your peas.