X-Fusion shock absorber service kits

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
Many ebikes have front and/or rear suspension - a must for those of us that like to get out of the city and into the countryside. My bike is a Riese and Müller Homage and is fitted with an X-Fusion O2 Pro shock absorber in the rear suspension. The generic owner’s manual lists the service intervals for removing the air canister, clean and lubricate - every 25 hours and air sleeve maintenance (replace seals) every 50 hours. A full damper system rebuild and oil change “should be carried out by an Authorised Service Centre” every 100 hours/annually.

Servicing every 25, 50 or 100 hours to the levels required would seem to me, as a bit over the top. In my case it would mean a visit to the dealership over 40 miles and a train journey away. Depending upon use, this could be every few weeks and during a pandemic is practically impossible.

The X-Fusion website has a helpful video showing how to service the shock absorber and replace the seals safely. It is something that most reasonably competent people can undertake, leaving the rebuild as part of an annual service. Having viewed the video, my next thoughts were to source the service kit with the replacement seals. So far I have had no luck in obtaining a service kit. There is a UK distributor who doesn’t supply spares but is happy to service the shock absorbers. I haven’t got a price yet but, seriously - every 25 or 50 hours, send it to the UK agent. This seems to me like a cartel - “an association of manufacturers or suppliers with the purpose of maintaining prices at a high level and restricting competition.” Alternatively, it could be the manufacturer providing themselves with a get out clause in the event of a warranty claim.

Have any other forum readers experienced this form of restrictive practice? Has anyone managed to source an X-Fusion service kit for the O2 Pro?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will be about 100 quid for a fork service it is a easy job but if you cant find the seals ect pretty much stuffed.

my m8 has a fox fork on his bike and never had it serviced and is still holding air after 7 years.

might be a better idea to dump the fork for something you can get the parts for like fox or rock shock that you can service your self every 12 months.