Woosh XF07 hub running backwards.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Woosh converted a couple of bikes for my wife & I about 18 months ago with XF07 front hubs. We have moved house & my bike was in store for a few months. Today I pumped up the tyres & charged the battery. All seemed good except it’s unrideable because the front wheel is running backwards! I couldn’t understand what was wrong until I put the bike on a stand & turned the pedals round by hand & realised that the front wheel was going backwards so when I was trying to pedal forwards I was fighting the front wheel trying to go in the opposite direction.

I’m sure there is a simple explanation as I seem to recall threads on Hall effect sensors & self-learning but am not sure what has gone wrong. As far as I am aware no cables have been disconnected. The battery was stored separately from the bike. I just charged the battery & popped it into the rack this evening then switched on. The display looks normal with no error codes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
1. If the wheel is turning backwards with power, then you've put the wheel in the forks the wrong way round because the clutch only works in one direction.

2. If you can hold the wheel, stationary with two fingers while the motor whirrs, then it's an electrical issue.

Can you tell us which of the two it is? By your description of fighting the motor, it sounds like 1 because you'd still be able to pedal the bike with the motor running backwards if the wheel were in the correct way.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
It's got a disc brake. The wheel only fits between the forks one way besides which the wheel hasn't been removed & the cabling hasn't been touched.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Try turning the bars 180 degrees. If you've loosened them for storage it's easy to turn them back the wrong way and have the forks the wrong way round. If the disc brake is on the right, then there lays your problem.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Try turning the bars 180 degrees. If you've loosened them for storage it's easy to turn them back the wrong way and have the forks the wrong way round. If the disc brake is on the right, then there lays your problem.
Brilliant! As soon as I read this I knew it had to be the answer.
I hadn't loosened the handlebars but I'm guessing that the removals guys had. All our worldly goods were in store for three weeks in between completion & moving out of our old house & moving into the new one.
I've just nipped down to the garage & turned the handlebars round. Problem solved. It's not immediately obvious & presumably without the powered hub would have been rideable.
Thanks a lot for the quick response & for the other suggestions.