Xiongda front hub problem

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
I have 2 Swytch kits and one of them is giving me trouble.
The motor makes a loud clunky noise and stutters. I tested it with the bike on a stand and it works perfectly, at every power level, but as soon as I try it on the road the problem shows.
Since the motor is fine when on the stand I guess it's some kind of fitting problem, not en electronic/electric one.
Could it be that the motor axle is a little bit too thin than my fork's opening? Maybe a torque arm could help?
Also the fork is a little wider than the motor itself and it gets closer to the motor only after I tighten the bolts. Maybe this could cause some issues too.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Washers inboard may sort out the motor fitting width if that is a problem.

If the motor though works as a test bed with no load then the problem could be a load issue either a wiring fault manifesting it self when a load is applied, a controller issue or a battery fault.
Stuttering is an indication of an electrical fault often phase or halls.

A vid of the issue under load may help with diagnosis.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Washers inboard
do you mean fitting the torque washers inside the fork? Or fitting one more?

I will double check all the connections and try to make a video. Thank you for your help

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Motors that spin with no load and stutter on the ground usually are having battery issues. Maybe that rocking Swytch connector on the handle bars had a dirty contact.

Try switching the battery box from the good kit to the bad one. If problem moves with battery box, you know what part needs to be replaced by the Panda guys.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Washers inboard
do you mean fitting the torque washers inside the fork? Or fitting one more?

I will double check all the connections and try to make a video. Thank you for your help
You can doe either easiest is to try the tab washers inboard first.

infopete

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2017
Leicester
I'll swap the battery packs on my Bromptons and see if there is any difference. It would be great to solve this problem as Swytch are being useless.

David Coffey

Just Joined
Oct 27, 2018
I am in similar trouble - also Swytch kit, on a Bromtpon - if the assistance level on the battery is set to zero , the battery will power the front light, and correctly register the speed , and not cut out . But if i move the assistance level to 1 or higher , there is a low screech/grating noise, with resistance felt , from the front hub motor and the battery powers off . The first 5 minutes after starting tends to be ok , but after that the issue occurs very very frequently

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
I tried fitting one of the washers inside and fitting the torque arm. At first everything seemed ok, but after a few km it started again. As soon as it stops raining I will try and swap the battery and the harness with the working kit and see what happens.

infopete

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2017
Leicester
I've swapped the battery with my wife's and it is still jerky. Sadly the top speed now appears to be 14.4 and it takes several pedal revolutions before the power cuts in. I'm going to charge up the smaller battery pack and try that.

It is very strange that the same packs from the same supplier are so different in their characteristics.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
I tried that too and my result is the opposite. The problem immediately showed on my wife's bike, while mine was perfect.
Maybe it's all about some faulty connections. Mine might be inside the pack, maybe others' might be on the harness itself?

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Also I just noticed that my battery pack has a sticker that shows 32km/h on it. Could that be a problem? Maybe the controller does not fit my 25kmh motor or something like that?

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Well...I got a reply, but they suggested to fit a torque arm, even if I told them that I tried that and told them about the battery swap test...now I'm waiting for a second reply

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Update: I think I might have found where my problem originates from.The power pack doesn't fit the harness properly, thus it's able to move around a tiny bit. This movement might be the cause of the connection problem I'm experiencing. I did a quick test with a couple of shimmers to prevent the power pack to move around and it seems to work. I'm currently in contact with Swytch support and I hope I can solve this.
Worse case scenario I'm going to create the shims using Suguru.

Reactions: Djap and harrys

infopete

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2017
Leicester
Update: I think I might have found where my problem originates from.The power pack doesn't fit the harness properly, thus it's able to move around a tiny bit. This movement might be the cause of the connection problem I'm experiencing. I did a quick test with a couple of shimmers to prevent the power pack to move around and it seems to work. I'm currently in contact with Swytch support and I hope I can solve this.
Worse case scenario I'm going to create the shims using Suguru.
When did Swytch inform you about the software issue?

I was going to go out on my wife's Brompton to see if it was any better but, if there is a software issue with the controller, I'll wait for a fix.

This is assuming there will be a fix.

Djap

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2018
I am in similar trouble - also Swytch kit, on a Bromtpon - if the assistance level on the battery is set to zero , the battery will power the front light, and correctly register the speed , and not cut out . But if i move the assistance level to 1 or higher , there is a low screech/grating noise, with resistance felt , from the front hub motor and the battery powers off . The first 5 minutes after starting tends to be ok , but after that the issue occurs very very frequently
I'm having a very similar issue. Swytch kit delivered 3 weeks ago; installed carefully and accurately; front hub works for 5 mins max but makes grinding noise and stuttering - and then stops working altogether. Most frustratingly, it worked last week perfectly, just for one ride. Silent, smooth, powerful. Then when I tried it next day the problem was back. I'll try playing around with the mount fitting as others suggest. No reply at all from useless swytch customer service - great product in theory, rubbish service in practice.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It must be very frustrating for all you Swytch owners who are experiencing running problems with your new kits. You would think with the long delay in release and delivery that they would of had plenty of time for extensive testing and managed to iron them out. The lack of support just rubs salt in the wound.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Swytch support solved my problem. It was caused by a loose pin connector on the power pack. They sent me a new bag, I transferred all the content (battery, display etc) to that and now everything works perfectly. They were a little slow at getting a first answer, but then everything proceeded quick and smooth.

Reactions: jdunphy