Yamaha 500w battery 2017

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Really don't understand this business model. A lot of the large purchases I have made have been due to the service I have received when making smaller purchases. If you limit the opportunities to show and prove your great service then this is surely detrimental to potential future purchases.
Plus all those sales add up, what a daft way to run a business. :confused:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Whatever you think about Martin's business model, £849 rather gives the lie to those on here who assert batteries are going to drop in price.

And to be fair to Martin, he does often have stock when no one else does.

He was one of the very few retailers who had a Bosch Classic battery when I wanted one.

I was also allowed to buy it, even though I've never bought a bike from him.

Andrew Ford

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2016
Rotherham
Really don't understand this business model. A lot of the large purchases I have made have been due to the service I have received when making smaller purchases. If you limit the opportunities to show and prove your great service then this is surely detrimental to potential future purchases.
Simon

I totally agree with what you say, if don't have confidence in a somebody / business you will proberly stay clear of them

Andy

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Whatever you think about Martin's business model, £849 rather gives the lie to those on here who assert batteries are going to drop in price.

And to be fair to Martin, he does often have stock when no one else does.

He was one of the very few retailers who had a Bosch Classic battery when I wanted one.

I was also allowed to buy it, even though I've never bought a bike from him.
He might have a lot of stock but if you bought your bike somewhere else that's neither here nor there. I'm not even sure he can trade legaly by picking his customers!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
He might have a lot of stock but if you bought your bike somewhere else that's neither here nor there. I'm not even sure he can trade legaly by picking his customers!
As I said, he sold me my battery - at a small discount - as a first time customer.

No business is obliged to deal with anyone.

To use the quaint legal phrase, an offer of something for sale is an 'invitation to treat'.

Strictly speaking, when you buy anything you make an offer to the seller who is at liberty to accept it, negotiate with you, or simply refuse your offer.

For the vast majority of transactions the process is streamlined, you offer the advertised price and the retailer automatically accepts it.

But it doesn't have to be that way.

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
  1. hats the great thing about a free economy you can buy from anywhere you like, This opens up free competition and as product become more and more popular then you will have more and more competition.
    Take home computers in the late 80s there where lots of places you could buy them Time, Tiny, Crown, just to name a few the big retailers staid away at first as they where not classed as mainstream products. The service at the time from these other retailers was a joke if you had a complaint or needed help with your new tech it didn't exist. Once the product became popular and mainstream the larger retailers moved in PC World, Comet, Currys, Best Buy etc. The market further develops and the pricing becomes ultra competitive fantastic for the consumer but the competition kill each other. Leaving just a couple of players in the market place.

The same will happen with E bikes now with the growth of Evans Giant Halfords stores etc they will soon dominate the market forcing prices down again great for the consumer however not so great for the smaller independent retailers who will survive from their reputation of service .

Just my thoughts

• Agree
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

cheekee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
UK
I found an e bike shop that refurbishes E bike batteries and I Emailed them to see if it would be possible in the future when I need it.

They said it was possible but may be restricting it in the future to existing customers only.

Seems silly to me if E bikes are becoming more popular.

A giant battery costs £599 for my dirt E+2. Luckily I found a ex demo battery on ebay for £260 with only 30 miles on it. Want to try and future proof my investment a little.

The giant batteries are different to the yamaha batteries as they are more integrated into the frame even though the giant uses a yamaha motor.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Manufacturing cost for that Yamaha battery and is probably sub £200 including cells and electronics.

That leaves a kings ransome of a margin for the manufacturer, Distributor and Retailer alike, nice business if you can get it.

It's all about to change though, as battery cell production is ramped up by an order of magnitude never seen before, the current Panasonic cell is to be replaced by a higher density unit, then the fun will begin.

Retailers will not loose out, as volumes will increase, just a case of profit per unit will be less, the retailers will just have to work a little harder!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the 500w bosch batt from magura is £485 when dealers order it ;)

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep soundwave, I guess that says it all.

I have asked my Son (31), what price he can get the Bosch batteries for, and this will be interesting as he is a Bike Tech that works in a retail bike shop, that does the Haibike Ebikes etc.

cheekee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
UK
When I spoke to giant initially they told me a replacement battery for my dirt E +2 was £425. Then they changed it to £599. That was interesting. At the moment giant are keeping the batteries for warranty claims. So would have to pay a high price to get a second battery at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad