Yamaha motor removal

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
The Yamaha motor of the wife's 2019-model Batavus E-go is well past its best-before so it's time to see about getting it fettled. What sort of a job is it likely to be to remove it? Having spent a large part of my life rebuilding motorbikes it's not the mechanical aspect that concerns me but the electrics. Is it likely to be a simple matter of uncoupling connectors, or am I in for something less straightforward?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not sure about your bike but I removed Yamaha motor from Haibike,(crank drive) and stripped it down partially to send bits for reconditioning. (performance line bearings)
All electrics simply unplugged, fairly straightforward.
You will be fine with it.

Reactions: danfoto

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I'm Shimano, but this probably applies to other mid drives too...

The connectors are just plugs, but they are highly engineered for waterproofing and reliability. So give them the kid gloves treatment. Some specify a special tool for carefully gripping the plug rather than pulling on the cable. So far I have managed without.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I'm Shimano, but this probably applies to other mid drives too...

The connectors are just plugs, but they are highly engineered for waterproofing and reliability. So give them the kid gloves treatment. Some specify a special tool for carefully gripping the plug rather than pulling on the cable. So far I have managed without.
Yep, agreed. Most, if not all, car electrics connectors are same nowadays. Usually some kind of O ring seal and click /wedge type lock mechanism. Small screw driver, pincer pliers and bit of care will nearly always work. Pulling on wires not a good idea with any.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Some pictures showing the electrical connections when my motor was taken out to send to Performance Line bearings. The non drive side crank arm would not come off, but performance line bearings said this was common and they have all the tools to do that job. I found performance line bearings to be excellent.

Motor Refurb 18 11 22 002.JPG

Motor Refurb 18 11 22 003.JPG

Motor Refurb 18 11 22 006.JPG

Motor Refurb 18 11 22 006.JPG

Reactions: danfoto and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Some pictures showing the electrical connections when my motor was taken out to send to Performance Line bearings. The non drive side crank arm would not come off, but performance line bearings said this was common and they have all the tools to do that job. I found performance line bearings to be excellent.

View attachment 50666

View attachment 50667

View attachment 50668

View attachment 50669
I had to use extractor on both sides to get crank arms off. Luckily had one that fits..

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Thanks guys. That's all very helpful :)