Yamaha or Bosch mid drive

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
No apparently its designed to do it that way, not sure why. Somebody will tell us, somebody in an earlier post mentioned about avoiding traction problems but I cant see that myself but ??
To fully understand my point you need to ride a Chinese bike, say a Woosh CD, then you'll appreciate that a Bosch is actually giving assistance in that 3/4 of a pedal revolution, it just doesn't come in as strongly as on the Yamaha.

Mar 9, 2016
To fully understand my point you need to ride a Chinese bike, say a Woosh CD, then you'll appreciate that a Bosch is actually giving assistance in that 3/4 of a pedal revolution, it just doesn't come in as strongly as on the Yamaha.
I have, that's why I,ve gone for Haibike. The cadence delay was felt on Bosch but not on Yam. The technician explained it to me as I have on here. Perhaps its a little simplistic and torque comes in gradually with Bosch but its certainly a noticeable difference, and it is that. A difference , not a fault. I,d happily have Bosch, just slightly preferred yam. Both brilliant.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The only time I notice any delay is is starting off on full power, not something I usually do. Otherwise it as a normal bike but assisted, as it should be.

I currently have two Bosch motored bikes and have had another, it's not something noticeable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get on the bike and start peddling with no power the motor will not engage till you stop if you try and turn it on at the same time that is.

also in turbo will not kick in straight away as the bosch system can also sense gear change so cuts power for a micro second or 2.

engage last gear and you can do this from a standing start

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Like you Flud I test rode both the Bosch and Yamaha haibikes off road and preferred the Yamaha. The Yamaha motor felt slightly stronger and I preferred the way the power was there straight away with no delay. On paper at that time the Yamaha had a bit more torque than the bosch. I found the Yamaha system a more intuitive way to ride, particularly off road, as it gives you more sensitive control. You can adjust the power you put down very precisely with your legs. The lack of delay actually makes it easier to control in slippery conditions as you can add or remove power very quickly and with immediate control through your legs.

However my bike is a sDuro that I bought almost exactly a year ago and since then I thought Bosch, perhaps in response to the Yamaha competition had reduced or removed the delay. I think on road a small delay is of no consequence, but off road the lack of delay gives you better control of the power you want to put down.

However when I test road both systems in March 2015, they were both a revalation and very good with nothing much between them. I was choosing between the Haibike hardtails at the time and the bosch one was £500 more expensive, so I would be lying if I said that price did not come into it as I wanted the bike to perform a specific task to enable me to commute to work and leave the car at home as much as possible.

I am sure I would have been pleased with either bike but I am still delighted with the sDuro after a year of ownership and 2500 miles. To have two such good systems available can only be a good thing for the consumer as it brings more choice and keeps both manufacturers on their mettle and this should lead to improvements to both systems.

Last edited:

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
I have a Bosch CX motor and I can confirm there is no delay when putting down the down, but the power does increase as you start pedalling. It seems to be a smoother take up than the Yamaha System, I tested both and preferred the Bosch system, but I did have my heart set on the Yamaha system. I prefer Japanese products to German products. I would never buy a German car, over a Japanese Car, in fact I would never buy a German car.

Mar 9, 2016
Proof of pudding etc...
I,ve only done 300 miles in last month, so its not long term, but Yam CD has performed perfectly..
Tried Bosch CX yesterday and I honestly would have struggled to say which bike I was riding. I think the older Bosch system didn't feel as powerful initially but probably felt stronger on higher cadence than yam...
Like earlier poster I prefer yam ( and now cx) power immediately. I also think the new CX system is more sensitive than old.( as is Yam)
You can really control motor with very fine pressure changes in pedals. ( or I,ve just got better at it)
To be fair I,d be happy with any of the systems..but cant fault mine at all...
Its shocked me how capable bike is in every department, from slow technical climbs over rocks to long drawn out ascents on road, and the ones in between...
Getting 28 miles hard off-road use, up some really big climbs..
If I could upgrade to a 500wh battery I would be I,m tired well before battery is.. ( its a 400 but suspect its a good deal more!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i get 28 miles if left in turbo on the flat, long as i dont go over 25mph for to long that is so prob avg 20mph.