Yet another 'which pedelec should I buy' thread... :)

BertEddie

Just Joined
May 19, 2012
Evening all,

I'd appreciate suggestions on suitable pedelecs for me to look at please.

Budget of £1000-£1500 ideally, would stretch to £2000 if it was clearly the right bike.

I'm fairly fit, currently ride either a road bike or mountain bike on a 10mile round trip commute.

Going to be doing a 25mile round trip commute from 1st of July along various terrain from hilly roads for 3 miles, 7 miles along canal tow paths that can be muddy in parts and then 2 or 3 miles in the city centre.

Looking for a mtb style bike but dont know where to start, which is where you fine people come in please :)

Thanks in advance!

Rob

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Welcome Rob.
Where are you based? We might be able to point you towards a local dealer with a good range to try, hopefully one with a Merlin in stock for you to compare:)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Please look at the following from £1295 to £2300

Commuter

The Comp

A note from a customer who just finished a charity ride 250 miles on his bike which is now a year old in use every day

Boys

For info - scroll down..

The bike had it's most gruelling road-test ever last week; 250 miles of roads and muddy towpaths in storm conditions, persistent rain, hail stones, long climbs (often 1 in 4), averaging 65 miles on a single charge each day for 4 days.

No punctures (thanks to Dutchperfect) just a knackered pedal and new front brake pads. Oh and I think the chainrings are on their way out and the freewheel wants changing again.

Interestingly the electrics were the most reliable part of the set up despite the awful weather. All credit to you.

Cheers!

Thanks Frank

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi Rob, there is certainly plenty of choice
I would suggest trying as many different models as you can. Worth contacting a ebike dealer that has a good range of demos - onbike, atmosphere and ebikes direct spring to mind, as you can try a number of bikes 'in one go' so to speak
Happy Hunting!

C

Cyclezee

My advice Rob is read all you can, ask lots of questions and ride as many bikes as possible before parting with your hard earned;)

The best advice is usually impartial and from non trade members, although some non trade members can be quite blinkered and not entirely unbiased, anyway I will shut up now:(

Regards

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Dave, I am not sure, we have so many superb bikes!

I think most sellers have good web pages that can all be accessed from this site and we should tell our stories there. I truly believe that when such questions are asked we should all show a little restraint, back off and let the real pedelecers without any gain to be made finically give advice.

All the best

David

Marmotte

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2012
Ireland
Hi Rob,

I was in a similar situation to you. I commuted by regular hybrid bike into the city centre everyday, 16km round trip, hills on the way home and sometimes heavy traffic. Our section got moved to an office on the south side of the city where it would realistically take 2 hours to commute using public transport. The other option is by car on the motorway which would leave me no time to exercise daily, except when kids are in bed.

Anyway, it is now a 40km round trip, city roads, some hills. I’m 42 and reasonably fit but don’t have enough energy to do that commute on a regular bike, so I chose to go electric. I bought an Alien Aurora just before Easter.

I had few criteria for the bike, one of the biggest being comfort. I did not want to be dealing with sore wrists/neck/bum usually endured after a long cycle on an MTB or hybrid bike. I also didn’t want a bike with the battery just behind the seat post as I would not be able to attach my existing child seat to it. I also felt that the 15mph assistance limitation on most ebikes was not sufficient for me, I can do greater speeds that than on my regular bike, just not for long trips.

I’m happy with my choice, just as others are for their given set of criteria. I have generally completed my 20km commute in 45/50 minutes. I put in as much effort as I’m able to (I need the exercise), so I’m still sweating buckets when I get into work (nice shower afterwards) but I don’t feel like I’m going to fall over with tiredness. Obviously, with Alien being online only, I didn’t get to try the bike out before buying but I recommend you try out a few bikes if possible. It will help you to focus on what you want out of the bike. Remember 40km is a fairly long commute to be doing every day of the week, in all weathers.

Good luck with it all.

C

Cyclezee

My advice Rob is read all you can, ask lots of questions and ride as many bikes as possible before parting with your hard earned;)

The best advice is usually impartial and from non trade members, although some non trade members can be quite blinkered and not entirely unbiased, anyway I will shut up now:(

Regards
Personally, I think this guy came up with the best suggestion:D