Yose kit on road bikes

StelvioStu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 3, 2020
New to this forum, just added 28" Yose rear hub kits to my Rourke and partner's Roberts road bikes in an attempt to get us back into cycling. Hoping that a bit of help on the hills will do the trick. Aiming for a 40km test ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
New to this forum, just added 28" Yose rear hub kits to my Rourke and partner's Roberts road bikes in an attempt to get us back into cycling. Hoping that a bit of help on the hills will do the trick. Aiming for a 40km test ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Good luck to you and all who sail in you.

Reactions: StelvioStu and sjpt

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
ive got one of their kits and not had too many woes. Good luck and enjoy the ride. I dont know how far 40km is in english, but on a 250w/36v- it might be ambitious - so dont keep it on 5- stay on 3 for the PAS.

Reactions: StelvioStu

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
if you've got the 12.5ah battery 40km should be easily achievable unless you hit strong headwinds and big hills

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
ive got one of their kits and not had too many woes. Good luck and enjoy the ride. I dont know how far 40km is in english, but on a 250w/36v- it might be ambitious - so dont keep it on 5- stay on 3 for the PAS.
Agree. Same here 350w/36v 12.5 Ah battery on a Carrera MTB winter hack.
Quite hilly where I live at present in Kent.
Mainly use levels 3 - 5 PAS. Battery is pretty much done at 20 miles/32k.
The Yose batteries are OK, but not the best...........

Reactions: PatM and StelvioStu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
12.5ah is good for 40km/25miles and a bit more in low power setting.
I use to get about 60km from my 11a and about 70 from my 13ah ones using 5a Samsung(22F&26F )cells, however they did both lose capacity within two years.
If one is able to source one a 14.5ah battery using Samsung 29E's would be a very good bet.

Despite reporting claimed mileages it is prudent to note that no two riders will get the same range, any range/mileage expressed will vary widely.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Frame of reference! Just in case people didn't realise, OP has fitted the kit to a road bike.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I use to get about 60km from my 11a and about 70 from my 13ah ones using 5a Samsung(22F&26F )cells, however they did both lose capacity within two years.
If one is able to source one a 14.5ah battery using Samsung 29E's would be a very good bet.

Despite reporting claimed mileages it is prudent to note that no two riders will get the same range, any range/mileage expressed will vary widely.
As I said, I dont think the cells in the Yose 12.5ah battery are the best!
Went out today, and barely got 18 miles (hilly route). Will try the hub motor with an em3ev battery for comparison, I know that battery is slightly bigger at 14.3ah. Bet it will give nearer 40 miles, as it does on my 500w BBS02

StelvioStu

Nov 3, 2020
Well, not the best of starts, but have to say I'm loving having a helping hand on the inclines. Unfortunately I punctured after about 20k, but my other half easily completed the 40km route then came back for me in the car. A puncture with an ebike is a bit more of a pain than pedal only bikes so (this time) I fixed it at home rather than roadside. Will try again tomorrow, this time with appropriate tools, just in case. May look into some of those Slime filled tubes.....any opinions on those?

StelvioStu

Nov 3, 2020

I'm thinking 40km will be easily achievable for us as we are happy to stay mostly in level 3 and get a bit of exercise. Good fun when you select level 5 and fly up a hill though :)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Well, not the best of starts, but have to say I'm loving having a helping hand on the inclines. Unfortunately I punctured after about 20k, but my other half easily completed the 40km route then came back for me in the car. A puncture with an ebike is a bit more of a pain than pedal only bikes so (this time) I fixed it at home rather than roadside. Will try again tomorrow, this time with appropriate tools, just in case. May look into some of those Slime filled tubes.....any opinions on those?
Very negative experience with slime. Didn't prevent punctures, then got slime all over outside of inner tube (so it couldn't be repaired) and inside of tyre. I have seen a few people who like them, but more seem to have found the same as I did.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus is the answer for me. Some may not like their weight; and not much good on sideways mud.

StelvioStu

Nov 3, 2020
Very negative experience with slime. Didn't prevent punctures, then got slime all over outside of inner tube (so it couldn't be repaired) and inside of tyre. I have seen a few people who like them, but more seem to have found the same as I did.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus is the answer for me. Some may not like their weight; and not much good on sideways mud.
Thanks, not that bothered about tyre weight now I've added a hub motor and battery, just looking for the best solution to resist punctures. I have heard Conti's Gatorskins are quite good, I will now look at Marathon Plus too.

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Agree. Same here 350w/36v 12.5 Ah battery on a Carrera MTB winter hack.
Quite hilly where I live at present in Kent.
Mainly use levels 3 - 5 PAS. Battery is pretty much done at 20 miles/32k.
The Yose batteries are OK, but not the best...........
Kent- Famous place Squire! Say no More! (Im in Maidstone and also ride motorbikes...)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Yose controller is now said to be a Lishui speed controller by others who have bought the since the change over from KT, the speed controller will give less range then the more frugal KT current control controllers.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The Yose controller is now said to be a Lishui speed controller by others who have bought the since the change over from KT, the speed controller will give less range then the more frugal KT current control controllers.
Hi Nealh. Been thinking of changing to a KT controller and a LCD3 display on my daily use Yose kit winter hack. Motor is a 36v 350w, which controller would suit best. (Model number?). Connections are all of the waterproof? type, as per current YOSE kits.
The Lishui is very basic, nothing to configure and very restrictive!

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Kent- Famous place Squire! Say no More! (Im in Maidstone and also ride motorbikes...)
Maidstone and motorbikes..... Hope you don't use that motorcycling emporium in Hart Street? That's another story grrrrrr!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi Nealh. Been thinking of changing to a KT controller and a LCD3 display on my daily use Yose kit winter hack. Motor is a 36v 350w, which controller would suit best. (Model number?). Connections are all of the waterproof? type, as per current YOSE kits.
The Lishui is very basic, nothing to configure and very restrictive!
Is it an integrated battery controller or stand alone ?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Is it an integrated battery controller or stand alone ?
It is standalone.
I opted for the separate controller (non-integrated), after reading various posts, I thought I would be changing the Lishui out sooner rather than later!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My advice is always to use a separate controller and never use the waterproof connectors. they're great when they work, but impossible to test or diagnose if you get problems. There's no net disadvantage in having that type of controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Topbikekit sell the 22a S09s in Julet W/P form on page two of the controllers or one can buy from various sellers on AilExp. One can also use the SO6s in 17 or 20a versions though heat may be an issue depending on the riding/terrain, I use a S06s on my town/errand bike with no issues, it is flat free flowing riding.

Reactions: MontyPAS