Yose power 350w rear hub kit advice

Bluebouye

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Hi all,

Can anyone with this kit answer a couple of questions? I am a newbee to ebiking but come from a background of 30 years of riding and building bikes. I am reasonably fit, weigh 90kg but would like to add a motor to my Boardman hybrid to help with a couple of hills and days when I'm not feeling it on my daily commute.

The only ebike i have ridden is a demo Carreara Vengence which when tested on the steepest incline i ride (around 12-15% over approx 100m) it did OK for about 3/4 of the hill but began to give up towards the end meaning i was putting in alot of effort to get to the top. So my first question would the Yose 350w get me up this hill better than the Suntour kit on the Carreara?

Secondly what sort of speeds should i expect from one of these kits. I'm no speed junkie, but riding the Carreara made me realise i am peddling way above 15mph under my own steam, so would like to be achive 20mph on the flat before the motor cuts out. Is this achievable?

Many thanks in advance.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi all,

Can anyone with this kit answer a couple of questions? I am a newbee to ebiking but come from a background of 30 years of riding and building bikes. I am reasonably fit, weigh 90kg but would like to add a motor to my Boardman hybrid to help with a couple of hills and days when I'm not feeling it on my daily commute.

The only ebike i have ridden is a demo Carreara Vengence which when tested on the steepest incline i ride (around 12-15% over approx 100m) it did OK for about 3/4 of the hill but began to give up towards the end meaning i was putting in alot of effort to get to the top. So my first question would the Yose 350w get me up this hill better than the Suntour kit on the Carreara?

Secondly what sort of speeds should i expect from one of these kits. I'm no speed junkie, but riding the Carreara made me realise i am peddling way above 15mph under my own steam, so would like to be achive 20mph on the flat before the motor cuts out. Is this achievable?

Many thanks in advance.
It's technically easy to achieve assisted speeds of 20mph, but the bike is then no longer legally a pedalec. Similarly with motors rated above 250w (such as the Yose).

You should not ride such a bike on road without registration, insurance, license; and should not ride it offroad in any public place (eg no cycle path, towpath, bridleway, forest track, etc). The theoretical legal charges would include driving without insurance, driving without MOT, etc; enough possibly to lose your driving license. As you will see from many posts here, the chances of being caught are almost zero, and the chances of being prosecuted are (currently) vanishingly small. The most likely scenario for problems would be if you were involved in an accident. Many people on this forum are taking that risk; one even taunting it.

~~~
Crank drive motors that take advantage of the bike's gearing are best at extreme hills, but are more complex and have much more transmission wear. Most decent hub motors should be able to get you up such a hill. If you put in some effort even at the bottom of the hill that will help the bike maintain speed and so help it get to the top. When motors lose speed they quickly lose efficiency.

Bluebouye

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2021
It's technically easy to achieve assisted speeds of 20mph, but the bike is then no longer legally a pedalec. Similarly with motors rated above 250w (such as the Yose).

You should not ride such a bike on road without registration, insurance, license; and should not ride it offroad in any public place (eg no cycle path, towpath, bridleway, forest track, etc). The theoretical legal charges would include driving without insurance, driving without MOT, etc; enough possibly to lose your driving license. As you will see from many posts here, the chances of being caught are almost zero, and the chances of being prosecuted are (currently) vanishingly small. The most likely scenario for problems would be if you were involved in an accident. Many people on this forum are taking that risk; one even taunting it.

~~~
Crank drive motors that take advantage of the bike's gearing are best at extreme hills, but are more complex and have much more transmission wear. Most decent hub motors should be able to get you up such a hill. If you put in some effort even at the bottom of the hill that will help the bike maintain speed and so help it get to the top. When motors lose speed they quickly lose efficiency.
Many thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comments on the legal implications of these kits, which i have considered. Reaching a speed of approximately 20mph is only a goal because i already achieve these sorts of speeds unassisted but don't want to have a cut off of 15mph and then start lugging the extra weight of the kit. It's pretty obvious few of these kits are going go be street legal and going by the number of illegal electric scooters going unchecked by the police It's pretty unlikely you'd get stopped on a converted bike but the implications are there as you say.

Your comments on losing speed on hills were borne out on my test ride, which is why I'm after something, preferably rear hub, that would get me up this steep hill. Hopefully someone with this kit will chip in.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Yose kit, as it comes, won't give more power than the Suntour. You need 48v to get what you want. The woosh 48v hub-motor kit will do it or you can run any normal motor wheel with a 48v controller and battery. For 20nph max, you need a 48v 260 rpm motor or 201 rpm 36v one with 48v. For cruising at 20 mph, you need a 260 rpm 36v motor with 48v or a 328 rpm 48v one.

You'd need to ask Woosh about derestriction. The kits you buy from Ebay or from China are nearly always unrestricted, but they have a setting somewhere to restrict them if you want it.

Last edited:

Bluebouye

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2021
The Yose kit, as it comes, won't give more power than the Suntour. You need 48v to get what you want. The woosh 48v hub-motor kit will do it or you can run any normal motor wheel with a 48v controller and battery. For 20nph max, you need a 48v 260 rpm motor or 201 rpm 36v one with 48v. For cruising at 20 mph, you need a 260 rpm 36v motor with 48v or a 328 rpm 48v one.

You'd need to ask Woosh about derestriction. The kits you buy from Ebay or from China are nearly always unrestricted, but they have a setting somewhere to restrict them if you want it.
Thanks for the advice. I might need to look at 48v then.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
20mph runs the battery down quicker so with any ride you have to gauge the power and speed you ride at to manage the range. No use going on a 30 mile ride hammering the battery at 20mph and then finding out by 20 miles it is flat.