YosePower Battery Rack, could you make this work with Disc brakes somehow?

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
I am looking for a decent rack mounted battery option and coming up with very few options. I saw this one and thought that perhaps you might be able to make it fit with disc brakes, any ideas?

I know it says it is only for V brakes but does anyone have any ideas if it could be made to work? I suppose I could get a disc compatible rack and then fit this battery to that rack but I am looking to see if anyone has any ideas on how to bodge this one first.

Thanks

14ea5539f629a1fc4b7efcdc2df08e53_500x.jpg

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Since you mentioned bodging ... are you ok with basic metalwork ?

At the rear, use as-is if your frame has mounting holes, or can you fabricate a bracket (with oval hole to fit over the axle) for the rack to mount to. Not the best photo but see the white brakets on mine https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yose-350-rear-hub-kit-onto-spanish-mtb-by-mondraker.37899/

At the front you have choices. Either bend the arms so they meet on the centre-line of the bike and bolt them to the mudguard mounting hole on your frame, or get a combined seatpost clamp / rear rack mount (random link just to show the item) https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/system_ex_seatpost_clamp_with_rack_mounts-ID_54395

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

At the rear, use as-is if your frame has mounting holes, or can you fabricate a bracket (with oval hole to fit over the axle) for the rack to mount to. Not the best photo but see the white brakets on mine https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yose-350-rear-hub-kit-onto-spanish-mtb-by-mondraker.37899/

At the front you have choices. Either bend the arms so they meet on the centre-line of the bike and bolt them to the mudguard mounting hole on your frame, or get a combined seatpost clamp / rear rack mount (random link just to show the item) https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/system_ex_seatpost_clamp_with_rack_mounts-ID_54395
Good advice, and if he gets the finished result properly powder coated, it will probably never ever rust!
regards
Andy

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter

Although I would love to be a metal worker I don't have the skills, tools or space for such. Another thing to add to my list of 'things to get good at'.

I was hoping for a more bending and using different brackets sort of approach. The bike does have rack mounts but I assume that even on a hybrid bike (potential new donor bike) the rack will not have clearance to make it past the disc? They specifically say V-Brake only and so that is what I am assuming but perhaps I am wrong.

Sorry I should have been clear what I meant by bodge as I forget that many of you are proper metal work bodgers, which I can only aspire to one day!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It dpends where your caliper mounting is, if it's between the chain and seat stays, then that style of rack should fit. Post a photo of that area of your bike. This is the setup I mean.20210723_124319.jpg

Last edited:

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Depending on how much weight you intend putting on the rack, you could use a spacer to move the mounting point out beyond the caliper. I just searched eBay for m5 spacers and found these.

I wouldn't recommend it if the rack will be heavily loaded though. It's putting a lot of faith in an m5 bolt.
DSC_0378.JPG

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Thanks to you both, that is really helpful and useful. The donor bike has since changed from our original idea and we are currently sourcing as we speak, so this info about where the disc is position is very well timed. It is also worth knowing about the weight aspect, if it is just the 4kg battery then it might be ok on the M5 bolts we'll just have to not put much (or anything) on the rack.

Thanks to you both, that is very helpful indeed.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've used standard rack batteries with disc brakes before. You only need to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold the struts out wide enough to clear the brake and be stiff enough to support the weight.

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
I've used standard rack batteries with disc brakes before. You only need to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold the struts out wide enough to clear the brake and be stiff enough to support the weight.
Thanks that is helpful. I have some confidence that this could be done now so will not let that hold me back. Whilst we are looking for donor bikes it makes sense to see if they have discs ahead of the sprocket instead of above but that seems to be the preserve of more expensive bikes!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Whilst we are looking for donor bikes it makes sense to see if they have discs ahead of the sprocket instead of above but that seems to be the preserve of more expensive bikes!
Yes, but they don't have to be expensive. It's a fairly modern fassion. Older bikes are normally cheaper and in other respects often make better donors than modern bikes.

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Yes, but they don't have to be expensive. It's a fairly modern fassion. Older bikes are normally cheaper and in other respects often make better donors than modern bikes.
We've only been looking second hand but so far haven't seen many bikes with the disc in the favourable front of sprocket position. We will just have to keep looking I guess.