Your Thoughts ?

Mark *

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2021
Hi All,

Got my new bike , (Giant Explore + 1 GTS ) and the speed i find can be frustrating being restricted ? very happy overall with my new bike and as a new rider i cant believe how some cars seem to FAFF around when overtaking or deciding to.

Which leads me on to my next question to those of greater experience on the road. I find myself obviously being extremely switched on, and conscious of what's going on behind me and listening for alerts from behind.

I see Garmin produce a radar , i also note there are a few rear camera and screen products on the market, just wondering how that would work with the glare of the sun ? would be interested to hear others views on such products ?

I read that others have said invest in a good mirror ,or just use your neck muscles ? also i have read about cameras in helmets ?

Many thanks :)

Gorillazilla

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2021
If you go for mirrors, I read this while researching the 3KW Cyclone middrive

" Mirricycle, best mirrors ever used. Tough too! "

(Wierd, link is borked. Looks like the whole site is down... the forum itself works but whenever you try to read a post it breaks)

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi All,

Got my new bike , (Giant Explore + 1 GTS ) and the speed i find can be frustrating being restricted ? very happy overall with my new bike and as a new rider i cant believe how some cars seem to FAFF around when overtaking or deciding to.

Which leads me on to my next question to those of greater experience on the road. I find myself obviously being extremely switched on, and conscious of what's going on behind me and listening for alerts from behind.

I see Garmin produce a radar , i also note there are a few rear camera and screen products on the market, just wondering how that would work with the glare of the sun ? would be interested to hear others views on such products ?

I read that others have said invest in a good mirror ,or just use your neck muscles ? also i have read about cameras in helmets ?

Many thanks :)
Two GOOD mirrors, maybe quite lowdown on your bike, so that only your legs block the rear view slightly.
Or ones mounted on both the ends of the of the steering are good.
And always major usage of neck muscles, I also have a small mirror mounted on my helmet, which I can almost instantly adjust by slight movement of my head.....Very cheap and extremely effective, but looks a bit nerdy!
Many modern folks also have video cameras mounted (and always running) on their Helmet, to better document any "problems" that may occur!
Some car drivers are really strange in the head and may make dangerous passes......Look on YouTube for many appalling examples.
I also have a red plastic arm, (with a reflector facing to the rear for nights), (I have no idea what its called), that sticks out at the side maybe 30 to 40 cms, making my bike effectively WIDER on that side, forcing most cars to stay a bit further away.....
I have often thought of adding a metal screw at the end, to mark paintwork on cars passing FAR too close, but up to now I have not done that.
But if I do, something like break the arm, and repair it with a long screw for instance....and lots of good glue. Make it look a little amateurish....!!
But till now, all cars and trucks have managed to avoid it in its original length, so maybe that is an indication that it really works!!
I just looked on ebay and its called "A Bike Safety Arm". See here:-
I have had one for quite a few years, on several bikes and up to now it has worked well..
Regards
Andy

Reactions: Mark * and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
also i have read about cameras in helmets ?
I use a cheap Crosstour 4k mounted on my helmet chin using zipties, to collect evidence... They're all terrible at capturing good quality night time footage, even the GoPros.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I also have a red plastic arm, (with a reflector facing to the rear for nights), (I have no idea what its called), that sticks out at the side maybe 30 to 40 cms, making my bike effectively WIDER on that side, forcing most cars to stay a bit further away.....
Thanks Andy, that's a great idea! I've just ordered these from the excellent Bankrupt Bike Parts on ebay - there's one pair left:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm more the 'turn to look' as I feel the area covered by a mirror is too small and you might miss something, and it certainly doesn't help you take notice of cars(et all) in the middle of accelerating for an overtake maneuver, which in a mirror might at first appear clear, then a car pops out of nowhere. You might even miss either a car directly behind you, or their turn signal that they are about to pull out and make an overtake, which is what cars do to cyclists all the time.
I have ridden with mirrors, but took them off as I found them not to be as good as turning to look.
Your eyes have a better scope of whats going on behind you.
Cars, trucks,taxis,buses all have mirrors and many accidents report " I didn't see you"

The downside of turning is you take your eyes off the road ahead, and might even cause a wobble, obviously this could be dangerous, but being aware in front as well as behind is the key to keeping safe, and I'd rather rely on my eyes and judgement than leaving it all to a small reflective window.

*I've always had an interest in product design and as such put some thought into some sort of mirror that meany you didnt need to glance down, and gave you more of a field of view and have come up with the idea of using a long mirrored strip, mounted under the peak of a standard helmet. Only about 1/2-3/4" deep and curved in the convex to reflect a wider range, much like a car rear view mirror, but unlike a car version, its directly in your line of sight.
I have foreseen a downside but without actually fabricating a prototype i couldn't say whether it would affect you or not and that is the dazzling effect of night riding and vehicles behind headlights reflecting directly back at you. That would obviously be a tad dangerous.

* If I suddenly see one appear on the market someones getting beaten up ;)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm more the 'turn to look' as I feel the area covered by a mirror is too small and you might miss something, and it certainly doesn't help you take notice of cars(et all) in the middle of accelerating for an overtake maneuver, which in a mirror might at first appear clear, then a car pops out of nowhere. You might even miss either a car directly behind you, or their turn signal that they are about to pull out and make an overtake, which is what cars do to cyclists all the time.
I have ridden with mirrors, but took them off as I found them not to be as good as turning to look.
Your eyes have a better scope of whats going on behind you.
Cars, trucks,taxis,buses all have mirrors and many accidents report " I didn't see you"

The downside of turning is you take your eyes off the road ahead, and might even cause a wobble, obviously this could be dangerous, but being aware in front as well as behind is the key to keeping safe, and I'd rather rely on my eyes and judgement than leaving it all to a small reflective window.
For me, those Zefal Dooback mirrors work well - I glance sideways rather than move my head, to prevent wobbles. Those particular Zefals are the largest mirrors I could find, and provide a good view. I tried one Zefal Dooback, found that it worked for me, then bought another. Prior to these Zefals, I tried several other mirrors and they were utterly useless... either too small a view, too fragile, too ungainly and needing constant adjustment, or provided only a view of my shoulder.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor cycle front rear camera kit suffers from terrible screen glare so pretty useless I found. By all means use cameras to record events but a mirror is your best friend to see rearward approaching vehicles.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Motor cycle front rear camera kit suffers from terrible screen glare so pretty useless I found. By all means use cameras to record events but a mirror is your best friend to see rearward approaching vehicles.
There was an invention by a motorbiker to give a rear view, which was a convex polished surface I think mounted on the top of the forks. It reflects cars to either side better than mirrors which he felt were problematic.
If I remember rightly he refused to allow parts companies to take on the product as they wanted to market it for a pretty penny and he felt safety was more important than profit. It would have long fallen out of patent, so should be available elsewhere.
Found it. I remember the original program it was showcased on, thought it a fab idea, which also gave rise to my own lid mounted mirror.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There was an invention by a motorbiker to give a rear view, which was a convex polished surface I think mounted on the top of the forks. It reflects cars to either side better than mirrors which he felt were problematic.
If I remember rightly he refused to allow parts companies to take on the product as they wanted to market it for a pretty penny and he felt safety was more important than profit.
Wouldn't that add a lot of drag, unless it was a mirrored ball, or pointy at the front?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
All the pics of it place it behind the bike screen.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
a mirror is your best friend to see rearward approaching vehicles.
You're absolutely right! Until I got those Zefals, I had no idea what the heck was going on behind the bike - very handy at night as you don't have to even glance over, you can see headlights approaching in your peripheral vision. Also very useful at roundabouts, which should all be banned! o_O

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My Zefals have survived one crash and several scrapes - quite robust.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That concave mirror looks good but a bit impractical for a bicycle.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That concave mirror looks good but a bit impractical for a bicycle.
With that in the way - flying over the handlebars in a collision, would be more unpleasant than usual.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I use end of bar mirrors but always look to the side as well before changing direction. It's a good discipline that i learnt when riding a motorbike to cover your blind spot. Wouldn't be without the mirrors i must say.

• Agree

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
With that in the way - flying over the handlebars in a collision, would be more unpleasant than usual.
Surely it will tend to help the rider to stay on the bike?
Thats got to be better surely than flying off?
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a bicycle it looks impractical to mount, ok if you ride with a perspex windshield.
Might work on bent/tadpole where one might have a wind shield for aerodynamics but not a cycle.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Surely it will tend to help the rider to stay on the bike?
Thats got to be better surely than flying off?
regards
Andy
I'm a vampire, I'd prefer to avoid my chest being impaled by stakes on my handlebar.