Youtube Misinformation

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This guy is generally quite reasonable. What he's saying here is generally right but most of his reasons why are way off, which is spreading all the misunderstandings and urban myths about the regulations, which you can see being repeated in the comments. The main points are that he says there's a weight limit when there isn't, and he doesn't seem to understand that the way the throttle works can be adjusted in the settings. This video has had 30,000 views in 4 days, and he has 127,000 followers! What do you think?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
He did a little bit of digging...

I think Internet is full of misinformation including gov.co.uk pages.

Edit: It is not that bad actually. Yes, there are some inaccuracies, but general message is right.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Does Engwe claim all of their bikes are uk legal?

They have a variety of offerings.

So I don’t think that it is anything that trading standards are going to get involved with.

I have no idea what he is on about it exceeding the weight limit either.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think the general message was good although some of the specifics were wrong . He should have just concentrated on rated max continuous power and assisted speed limit. As the comments said, there used to be a weight limit but it was abolished

Reactions: robert44

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can go in currys and halfords ect and get a scooter and wont say anything bar give us the money :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that channel is just for them selling bikes they ring a bell for every sale ;)

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
He was pushing along an X26 which is clearly advertised as 1000 watts, so I don’t understand what point he was making.

As far as I’m aware it’s not illegal to sell a 1000 watt e-bike in the uk. It’s only illegal to ride it on public roads.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
He was pushing along an X20 which is clearly advertised as 1000 watts, so I don’t understand what point he was making.

As far as I’m aware it’s not illegal to sell a 1000 watt e-bike in the uk. It’s only illegal to ride it on public roads.
My understanding is that Engwe sent it to him to review. It was free and he can keep it. The idea is that he should make a good review. At least he's honest. I like the guy because he generally does good stuff. My objection is just to ill-informed people with large audiences spouting stuff as if it's true. They do a 5 minute search on the Internet. They'd be better off keeping their mouths shut if they don't know what they're talking about.

There was only one point to mention regarding illegality, and that was that it has a motor rated at 1000w, which is not allowed.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
So what’s he going to do with the bike, send it back or sell it on eBay?

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Ashley Neal is a Motornormative Driving and cycling Instructor using cycling to promote himself. He talks quite a lot a of nonsense and should be taken with a large pinch of salt. He is right about terribly designed electricbike shaped objects tho. Best Avoided.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My understanding is that Engwe sent it to him to review. It was free and he can keep it. The idea is that he should make a good review. At least he's honest.
As I understand it from those that do these types of review, they don't just send it to him unsolicited... they ask him if he wants one to review, and there's no obligation to accept it or review it favourably. He should have asked the basic questions first - i.e. does it meet UK/EU regs - before agreeing to it if he's uncomfortable with the illegality of it.

There's London Eats, a delivery rider on YT who gets free e-bikes to review all the time; he'll do one or two delivery shifts on each to review them properly and comment honestly while he's actually filming his shift, then raffle them off - he's recently raffled off a Fiido C21 Gravel bike and a Himiway Fat Tyre (among others here), and he's currently raffling an Insta 360 Pro and an iPhone 15.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ashley Neal is a Motornormative Driving and cycling Instructor using cycling to promote himself. He talks quite a lot a of nonsense and should be taken with a large pinch of salt. He is right about terribly designed electricbike shaped objects tho. Best Avoided.
Bikes that cost £1000 to service and have obsolete batteries after 8 years are best avoided.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
This guy is generally quite reasonable. What he's saying here is generally right but most of his reasons why are way off, which is spreading all the misunderstandings and urban myths about the regulations, which you can see being repeated in the comments. The main points are that he says there's a weight limit when there isn't, and he doesn't seem to understand that the way the throttle works can be adjusted in the settings. This video has had 30,000 views in 4 days, and he has 127,000 followers! What do you think?

Wron g to call things mis information, surely NO ONE 100% believes what they read/see anyway, you check for yourself

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Wron g to call things mis information, surely NO ONE 100% believes what they read/see anyway, you check for yourself
Misinformation is what makes people believe things that aren't true. That's a problem when the people have to make a decision based on their false beliefs rather than the facts. He said there was a weight limit. There isn't one. He also mentioned the the throttle was illegal without giving details, so anyone would get the false belief that throttles are illegal. Both those situations would cause people to be restricted in their choice, when they could otherwise get a more suitable ebike.

He also didn't mention that the speed could be restricted.

If you hadn't been given misinformation too, you might have been able to make a better choice for your bike.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's London Eats, a delivery rider on YT who gets free e-bikes to review all the time; he'll do one or two delivery shifts on each to review them properly and comment honestly while he's actually filming his shift, then raffle them off - he's recently raffled off a Fiido C21 Gravel bike and a Himiway Fat Tyre (among others here), and he's currently raffling an Insta 360 Pro and an iPhone 15.
Low light performance of the Insta360 Ace Pro does look much better than any GoPro, but I don't like it's magnetic mount, non-replaceable lens cover, and badly designed battery cover - GoPros suffer from none of those flaws. I'll wait for GoPro to start utilising bigger better sensors and lenses, then wait even longer for them to hit the secondhand market at lower prices, because I'd prefer not having almost near half a grand's worth of camera on the jawguard of my helmet. If I won an Insta360 Ace Pro for 99p in a raffle? Sure, might enter.

Last edited: