Zefal Cyclop Triple Adjustment Bar End Mounted Bike Mirror

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I bought this after using a couple of cheapo Chinese mirrors and not being too impressed. I've used it on the commute for a week now and I'm mildly impressed. It fits the swept-back bars on my Ortler, but I think it would fit most types of flat bar. Bought off eBay for £10 and used for a week on my day/night commute.

Good points:
  • Great field of view with the large, cats eye-shaped mirror
  • Decent build quality
  • Easy to fit once assembled
  • 3-way adjustment (but see below)
Not so good:
  • Needs to be assembled (not that tricky, but still)
  • one of the fields of adjustment relies on friction between two planes and this cannot be tightened by screws like the other two planes. The friction simply isn't enough to stop it moving when going over bumps.
So, to overcome the lens movement I have applied duct tape to stop the movement. I'll see how I get on tomorrow.

Overall, a tenner well spent - so far.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The friction in all axes of movement is adjustable. You must have missed the middle adjustment screw that you have to adjust before you assemble the mirror. Now you have to remove the top screw and the mirror to get at it. There is no need to hold anything with tape.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks for the reply. I am happy to be proved wrong, but I assembled the thing using all the screws. The plane I am talking about is the one that allows the user to rotate it out of the way when parked. I can't see any way to adjust that friction. http://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/105-cyclop.html

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As I said, remove the screw that holds the mirror stork onto the other part, then you'll see the adjusting screw underneath. There are three screws that hold it together and adjust the friction. One is in the end of the bit that goes into the handlebar, one is in the middle and holds the two circular rotating parts together, and the third holds on the mirror stork.

Reactions: Warwick

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Ah, thanks! I'll take a look at the weekend.

The instructions are rather scant and that adjuster isn't immediately apparent. When I say scant, there isn't one word...

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
As an update, I managed to tighten up the screw mentioned above and the mirror is now much more stable when riding. In fact, it survives cobbled canal ramps without moving. So, it's a good buy. If i were to be picky, it's that the viewing area doesn't quite suit me. I think I'd prefer a square mirror, instead of a teardrop-shaped one. Nevertheless, it gives me good visibility and I really miss it when I'm riding another bike.