Zefal Dooback 2 Rear View Mirror Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

VFR recommended the Zefal Cyclops, which looked very good, but I bought the slightly larger mirrored Zefal Dooback 2 because of my eyes... and it's brilliant! Installation was very slightly tricky - lots of force was required to get the damn thing into the end of my handlebar. I couldn't find my rubber mallet and had to bash away with a rubber screwdriver handle to drive the damn thing in. The parts are very rubust and high quality - once in, they can be removed - the spacer/collar can be pulled out with molegrips without damage. Very impressive quality of materials overall. My mirror had a glued fingeprint on it, which came off easily with a drop of isopropol. Final positioning was done by perching my bike at the edge of the kerb, and adjusting the ball joint until I could see a useful long distance view of cars approaching from behind. Best leave the hex bolt slightly loose until you've done that - on my handlebar, it's jammed in so tight there's no way it will fall out, even if the hex bolt was left very loose indeed.

In operation HOORAY IT'S AS GOOD AS A MOTORCYCLE MIRROR! Once you've adjusted the (again, robust) ball joint to get the right angle. it clicks into place to reveal what I have been craving for: A clear view of the road behind. I can finally see it! Such a relief! I've tried four other mirrors and they were all rubbish - they'd show me my arm or shoulder. This one delivered. It also swivels out of the way, so that my bike can still fold. Perfect.

Maybe I'll buy one for the other side... roundabouts and all that.

Thanks @vfr400

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Nice mirror, but I still prefer the Cyclops because it can be folded down when parked at shops, so nobody messes with it:
View attachment 41629View attachment 41630

That was a good call! Zefals are solid and well designed and made. It's hard to imagine how anyone would mess with mine - even if I took out the hex bolt, it's a battle trying to tug it out. The miscreant would get very sweaty and give up, I imagine.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That was a good call! Zefals are solid and well designed and made. It's hard to imagine how anyone would mess with mine - even if I took out the hex bolt, it's a battle trying to tug it out. The miscreant would get very sweaty and give up, I imagine.
I didn't mean that they would try to take it - just kick it or rip it off for the hell of it.

D

Deleted member 33385

I didn't mean that they would try to take it - just kick it or rip it off for the hell of it.

Ah yes, the perennial sh*thead problem... I suppose they could always scratch it.

shed

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2021
Thanks for review. Good to know you're pleased with them.

I was looking at these earlier on BikeInn. They are cheaper at £7.99 each there but the £7.49 postage is the downer, unless ordering a few more items at the same time.

D

Deleted member 33385

I was looking at these earlier on BikeInn. They are cheaper at £7.99 each there but the £7.49 postage is the downer, unless ordering a few more items at the same time.

They are very good indeed. Solves the mirror problem for me - I need another for the left side, that's on my next Amazon shopping list - or I could get cheaper on ebay (where you can also buy cheaper pairs):

Last edited:

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester

Postage is the killer with BikeInn. I was looking at Gaadi inner tubes and they are the cheapest I can find, but the postage ruins it.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
SJS are often the best, and postage not too bad. No stock of several sizes though.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil Dryden

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
SJS are often the best, and postage not too bad. No stock of several sizes though.
Yes, SJS are pretty good for prices and postage. Last time I checked they did not have my size, but thanks for the reminder - I've just checked again again they have them in! £7.99 + £3.50 postage which is a bargain. Just want one for the back wheel and one as a spare (hub motor), and will keep the existing rear as a front spare. Prefer to do my repairs at home rather than by the roadside.

EDIT - Even better, postage still £3.50 for 2 tubes.

Last edited:

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Let us know how the mirror is after a month, I bought a cheapo no-name similar from eBay, the downside being the lens, everytime I clean it just adds to the micro scratches on the surface and deteriorating the image, don't know if they're polycarbonate or more likely plastic but for me a mirror is a must on a bike and I'm surprised I don't see more fitted than I do

D

Deleted member 33385

Let us know how the mirror is after a month, I bought a cheapo no-name similar from eBay, the downside being the lens, everytime I clean it just adds to the micro scratches on the surface and deteriorating the image, don't know if they're polycarbonate or more likely plastic but for me a mirror is a must on a bike and I'm surprised I don't see more fitted than I do

Will do. The cheapo no-name end-bar mirror I had bought previously on ebay, lasted very little time at all... the plastic was extremely weak, the mirror snapped off while I was manhandling my bike into a fold - a few pounds gone in a split second - the Dooback 2 is £10.99 at the moment:

It's a chrome coated plastic mirror, which you should only use alcohol and something like a cheap poundland eyeglass cleaning cloth, to clean it with. It's slightly convex, which I didn't think I wanted, because of the distorted sense of distance - but it shows you a wide, useful view... instead of a narrow and very brief view of a car which is about to imminently zoom past you (if you're lucky).

If your eyes are fine with the cheapo mirror's size, why not get the Cyclop? It looks like the same high quality Zefal build (£9.72):

The plastic that the no-name cheapo mirror housing was made from, reminded me of that used on Airfix models - ok that may be a bit of a stretch, but that stuff is unsuitably brittle, too brittle. And I could never get the cheapo to stay in position, too loose inside the handlebar, no matter what I did. The Zefals are made with something which reminds me of ABS - very robust so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I've been so impressed with the Zefal Dooback 2, that I've ordered one for the other side - I would have chosen the Zefal Cyclop, if it weren't for my damned eyes... The larger Dooback 2 mirror, really works well for me.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I've been so impressed with the Zefal Dooback 2, that I've ordered one for the other side - I would have chosen the Zefal Cyclop, if it weren't for my damned eyes... The larger Dooback 2 mirror, really works well for me.
Thanks for the feedback on the Dooback. Useful to know. Zefal stuff seems to be very well made, and is very tactile! I love the fact that the Cyclops is so discrete in terms of size, but can appreciate that the Doo back will give you a wider range of vision. If I rode in very urbanised areas I'd probably go for it. I'm surprised that more leisure cyclists don't use a mirror. Having said that, I have to confess I'm only a recent convert, forced into one by difficulty in twisting to see traffic.

D

Deleted member 33385

Bloody hell, the left side Dooback 2 has just now been delivered - I only ordered it last night! And this is why I never pay for Amazon delivery... except through their overpricing of products. ( I don't have Amazon Prime)

I just wish they'd stop trying to deliver my stuff, to my psycho neighbours! :mad: I mean... I've got a note on every Amazon delivery which says "DO NOT LEAVE WITH PSYCHO NEIGHBOURS!", and they still try to. :mad:

shed

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2021
Just ordered 2 Dooback2s for our bikes from Fawkes Cycles for £7.65 each. Added in some lube and glueless puncture repair patches, both of which I need anyway, to bring it just over £20 and so qualify for free postage. Hope the mirrors are as good as Pentium says.

D

Deleted member 33385

Just ordered 2 Dooback2s for our bikes from Fawkes Cycles for £7.65 each. Added in some lube and glueless puncture repair patches, both of which I need anyway, to bring it just over £20 and so qualify for free postage. Hope the mirrors are as good as Pentium says.
I get commission on every Dooback ordered! Joking, joking... Remember to use the right collar when inserting into your handlebar end - you get two. A little diluted washing-up liquid helps insertion, when applied to the inside of the handlebar end... washing up liquid seems to be absorbed by the plastic on the Doobacks, or evaporates fast - I can't work out which. After fine adjustment of the ball joint while on the road, or at the edge of the kerb looking at traffic behind you, the mirrors click in and out of position quickly - it's handy to click them out of the way for easy bike storage. I do hope I'm not the only one who likes these! They suit my eyes better than small mirrors.

shed

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2021
I get commission on every Dooback ordered! Joking, joking... Remember to use the right collar when inserting into your handlebar end - you get two. A little diluted washing-up liquid helps insertion, when applied to the inside of the handlebar end... washing up liquid seems to be absorbed by the plastic on the Doobacks, or evaporates fast - I can't work out which. After fine adjustment of the ball joint while on the road, or at the edge of the kerb looking at traffic behind you, the mirrors click in and out of position quickly - it's handy to click them out of the way for easy bike storage. I do hope I'm not the only one who likes these! They suit my eyes better than small mirrors.
This thread seems to be getting a bit risqué with me talking about lube and you mentioning washing up liquid helping insertion . Ooooh Matron :D

• :D
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

This thread seems to be getting a bit risqué with me talking about lube and you mentioning washing up liquid helping insertion . Ooooh Matron :D

Canon 50mm F1.4 (for lens geeks)

Last edited:

shed

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2021
Fitted the Doobacks at the weekend...certainly makes a big difference being able to see a decently wide view behind me. Very pleased with them so thanks for the heads up Pentium (or whatever you seem to be being called now....what did i miss???)