Zipper z4 charger

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi Everyone not been on for a while hope everyone is ok I have just bought a zipper z4 folding mountain bike with no charger it had some charge in the battery I tried to use my charger I have for my other 36v bike but it wouldn’t work can anyone tell me what charger to get for it please

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Saw another post like this recently and it made me wonder what explanation the vendor gives about the missing charger. Just being nosey!

Reactions: gazza19

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One suspects there is a fault with the battery if a 36/42v charger doesn't allow charging.

Looking at the range of the bikes they are nothing fancy and will just use generic china parts.

Show us a pic of the charger port on the bike.

Reactions: gazza19

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
One suspects there is a fault with the battery if a 36/42v charger doesn't allow charging.

Looking at the range of the bikes they are nothing fancy and will just use generic china parts.

Show us a pic of the charger port on the bike.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally yes but one should always check, the centre is + and the side negative.
That side of the port is too easy to short out so one is best to insert an opposing charge connector in like the black and green screw types on sale at ebay then one can take polarity and voltages via the wire/ screw connections.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Generally yes but one should always check, the centre is + and the side negative.
That side of the port is too easy to short out so one is best to insert an opposing charge connector in like the black and green screw types on sale at ebay then one can take polarity and voltages via the wire/ screw connections.

View attachment 52878
How would I do that and do you have a link for also would that make the battery charge up also would I have to put one side in the lbsttery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You buy one of those dc plugs I have mentioned that will push into the charger port, place your probes on the +/- and your meter will tell you if the polarity is correct. 99.99% of the time one would expect the polarity to be correct but it is always worth a check as the check is a simple one.

Any suitable charger with the correct charge plug and voltage will charge it up but it looks like your battery has an issue.
You have tried your charger and it didn't work so first show us a pic of your charger label and the charge plug.

It is highly likely the battery may be in sleep mode (if it has one) or it is faulty , if the latter it needs opening and testing .
As it stands what voltage reading does the battery give ?

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
You buy one of those dc plugs I have mentioned that will push into the charger port, place your probes on the +/- and your meter will tell you if the polarity is correct. 99.99% of the time one would expect the polarity to be correct but it is always worth a check as the check is a simple one.

Any suitable charger with the correct charge plug and voltage will charge it up but it looks like your battery has an issue.
You have tried your charger and it didn't work so first show us a pic of your charger label and the charge plug.

It is highly likely the battery may be in sleep mode (if it has one) or it is faulty , if the latter it needs opening and testing .
As it stands what voltage reading does the battery give ?
This is the charger and charger plug will test voltage in morning as getting ready for work now will also send pic of display too

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your charge jack is of a similar type dc 5.5x 2.1 , does the connector fit in properly and all the way , I suspect not.
It is possible then that the jack isn't making a correct contact by not fitting in correctly, so the batterymay be ok.
You haven't told us the SOC voltage of the battery as it stands.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36.2v appears ok, we will have to assume the battery is in balance and it is just acase that your charger connector isn't making a proper contact.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
36.2v appears ok, we will have to assume the battery is in balance and it is just acase that your charger connector isn't making a proper contact.
how do i solve that then borrowed another charger and that was the same the green light stays on and its supposed to go red

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok now we have some more info, the Green light coming on means the BMS won't allow charging to occur. The green light also can mean the battery is fully charged but we know this is not the case with 36.2v so is is the former of the two.

The reason for the Green light being on and the BMS not allowing charging is because of a low cell group voltage or a fully charged cell group voltage , again with 36.2v it is highly unlikely to be the latter so we are looking at a low cell group voltage or a broken cell group sensing wire.
Typically any cell group that is below 3v, then a generic type BMS will not allow a charge to take place as it senses a fault (typically a generic BMS sensing low a voltage group 2.9v - 3.1v will prevent charging). The only way now to rectify such a fault is to open the battery and access the multi point sense wire connector to take ten individual cell voltages to see if or where the issue lies.

The checks aren't complicated and if you are compitent person then the task isn't onourous as you know how to use a meter , the worst part is opening the battery .
Show pics for guidance once the battery is opened and the battery pack inside is visible.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Ok now we have some more info, the Green light coming on means the BMS won't allow charging to occur. The green light also can mean the battery is fully charged but we know this is not the case with 36.2v so is is the former of the two.

The reason for the Green light being on and the BMS not allowing charging is because of a low cell group voltage or a fully charged cell group voltage , again with 36.2v it is highly unlikely to be the latter so we are looking at a low cell group voltage or a broken cell group sensing wire.
Typically any cell group that is below 3v, then a generic type BMS will not allow a charge to take place as it senses a fault (typically a generic BMS sensing low a voltage group 2.9v - 3.1v will prevent charging). The only way now to rectify such a fault is to open the battery and access the multi point sense wire connector to take ten individual cell voltages to see if or where the issue lies.

The checks aren't complicated and if you are compitent person then the task isn't onourous as you know how to use a meter , the worst part is opening the battery .
Show pics for guidance once the battery is opened and the battery pack inside is visible.
Thanks for the info il have to try drill the lock as there are no keys with it and looks like someone has tried to open it with a screwdriver already so il get back to you once I’ve managed to do it

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Not been able to get the battery off yet but connected my charger with one of the connectors you told me to get and two wires at the plus and minus then connected them to plus and minus on the discharge side of the battery and the charger turned from green to red held it on for a bit then just plugged my charger in without the connector and it just stays green still