bafang 500 watt cst or bmc v3s

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Hi guys i just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience of these 2 motors. I will run at 48 volts the bafang is cheaper I would be running with the 40 amp controller from bms the bmc is the v3s with 50 amp controller from an ebay seller from n ireland im wondering about the longevity of both and if they would both be capable of hill climbs and 30 mph

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Don't know about the BMC, but I have the CST, running at 36v, 28amp controller.

I'm a large chap, and it takes me up my local long and steep 12% hill at a good speed with a bit of assistance from me. Prob about 15mph on the hill, and about 22 on the flat. I would estimate you'd get somewhere near 30mph at 48v/40 Amps.

Hopes that's some help.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Thanks mike that sounds good imlooking to buy the bafang from bms batterie and seems good value i might order one

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm very happy with mine, as are others on here with theirs. I got mine from BMS and had no problem. Order the spoke key with it though, and a hand full of spare spokes just incase. You will need to dish the wheel when you get it.

Reactions: paul b
D

Deleted member 4366

The Bafang is 30 amps max. It's a great motor, and has the cassette spline, while as the BMC has a crappy free-wheel thread. If you lowered yout target to 25mph, the CST would win. For 30 mph, you need a MAC or BMC, or better still a DD motor.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Hi dave thanks for telling us that their is a chap called kieth on ebay selling the bmc and supplies a 50 amp controller i read it was good on the hills and pretty efficient which i want .But the motor can have probs if run too hot but my commute is only 10 mile and i suppose i not be flat out for that .I have decided to just use a 48volt 15 a/h instead of 20 ah the kit and battery will cost about 1k which i had budgeted for .I did think about a magic pie kit but not too keen on the large hub the direct drives look a good idea but i am unsure which kit

D

Deleted member 4366

There's no exact answer, just lots of choices. Everything is a compromise. Try something, learn from it and try something else.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
For my money being able to use cassette gears to easily match the required gearing is a major plus of the CST.

Having put my money where my mouth is I have ordered one, but am going 36V not 48 so that the motor doesn't get too warm with all the hills around here.

Best of luck with all the options!

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Yes dave its hard to choose which option to put my money on has their are that many but I like the idea of a cheaper option for my first conversion if i get a decent batterie i can always change controller or motor in the future and with commuting to work its paying for itself

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
For my money being able to use cassette gears to easily match the required gearing is a major plus of the CST.

Having put my money where my mouth is I have ordered one, but am going 36V not 48 so that the motor doesn't get too warm with all the hills around here.

Best of luck with all the options!
Please let me know how you get on as i am not going to do my conversion yet .Did you get your cst from bms?

D

Deleted member 4366

We already know what the Bafang CST motors can do. They're tried and tested. The 500W one has a top speed of 22mph on the road at 36v if you pedal. It has enough grunt at 30 amps to get a 100kg rider up very steep hills with a bit of pedalling. It's quiet and reliable. What else do you want to know?

My guess is that if you build a bike with a massive battery, you'll soon be looking at other options. If you're anything like the rest of us, your ideas about the ideal electric bike will keep changing because there's no ideal solution. 30 mph is very fast for a bicycle. Many of us have built such bikes, and gave them up. They're not relaxing to ride. You spend most of your time looking over your shoulder for police cars because you'll stand out going that fast. The rest of the time, you're looking for all the vehicles that will pull out on you or run you off the road because they see you as a bicycle and don't expect you to be going so fast. Then you have to find some way to tame the torque of the motor because the front tyre will wash out as you open up the throttle coming out of corners, or the back wheel will overtake the front and throw you over the handlebars when you get on any loose gravel or grass. The end result is that you need a lot of concentration to ride like that. It's not at all like a motorbike. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

Reactions: paul b and Arbol

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Good advice dave I cant find the 48 500 watt cst on bms batteries site anymore maybe sold out ? .Would 48 volt be overkill on this motor or would it give it added torque for off road will i need it and would 15 amp get me 25 miles ? Sorry for all the qeustions guys

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Another vote for Bafang 500W CST from me. Still finding no reason to want to change it. Running at 36V / 30A / 20Ah battery. Masses of torque (without throwing you off the bike), fast (12-15mph+) up even the steepest of hills, apart from when the battery is on its last legs and it drops down to 10-12mph up those very steep hills on account of power input capping at 800-900W or so when the battery voltage is down (as opposed to 1200W when freshly charged).

D

Deleted member 4366

We all use 36v batteries. You can run it with 48v, which will give it 30% more speed than I mentioned before, but it could get hot when hill-climbing if you let it slow down too much. I think that there is a 48v version, but not easy to find.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Please let me know how you get on as i am not going to do my conversion yet .Did you get your cst from bms?
Hi Paul. Will do. I haven't yet received the kit from BMS Battery - the controllers were out of stock.
Will post on here when it is built up. Actually I'm more than likely to be continually posting on here asking for help when I mess it up!