bafang 500 watt cst or bmc v3s

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
It must be something wrong with my setup? I am not impressed with the bafang CST at all.48volt 22 s09P controller.(22-23 Amp)
I was expecting better accleration and better hill climbing than my orginal Neo cross.(36w 20 amp) But I was very dissapointed.there wasn much diffrence.The neo just feel like a much better bike.I regret I didnt go for a mac 12T on 48 v.Later I borrowed the motor and wheel to a friend that was using a bafang swxk5 250w motor on 48v 15 amp setup.He thought he would have better climbing with my cst motor.He was also dissapointed.The 250w motor was better and used less power.
Actually I would suggest you get a used Tonaro bike and use it on 48v 20 amp.Its almost legal.Then you get strong hill climbing and good speed.

D

Deleted member 4366

There must be something wrong with your setup. Mine will blitz a Neo in both speed and hill-climbing. Try a S12S controller or a KU123

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It must be something wrong with my setup? I am not impressed with the bafang CST at all.48volt 22 s09P controller.(22-23 Amp)
I was expecting better accleration and better hill climbing than my orginal Neo cross.(36w 20 amp) But I was very dissapointed.there wasn much diffrence.The neo just feel like a much better bike.I regret I didnt go for a mac 12T on 48 v.Later I borrowed the motor and wheel to a friend that was using a bafang swxk5 250w motor on 48v 15 amp setup.He thought he would have better climbing with my cst motor.He was also dissapointed.The 250w motor was better and used less power.
Actually I would suggest you get a used Tonaro bike and use it on 48v 20 amp.Its almost legal.Then you get strong hill climbing and good speed.

There's something wrong there. My cst blitzes my swx for torque, speed and it's slightly quieter to.

I'm using the s12p controller, which will run up at 28 amps, so that accounts for some of the difference. Perhaps your battery is at fault? Have you put a watt meter in to see what's going on?

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Rembember my friend compared the cst and the swxk5 both at 48v 15 amp.big difference.The battery he used was a high c rate.30 amp continuous.Battery works very well on his Bafang bpm 201rpm motor.

Last edited:

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Thats Food for thought .ive just looked at the tonaro they seem really good value lots of torque

D

Deleted member 4366

Thats Food for thought .ive just looked at the tonaro they seem really good value lots of torque
The Tonaro can't hold a light to the Bafang CST with 30 amps. On the Tonaro, you have to use the gears much more, and changing down going up a steep hill requires a bit of practice, and if you have any mechanical sympathy, you won't want to do that.

Reactions: paul b

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Ive watched the you tube vids on the cst they look rapid and are not too pricey from bms but can only find it in 36 volt it might be a good option for me to buy two kits as my dad is thinking of getting one and i might be tempted to strap on and try 2wd just for the grin

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
My tonaro (soldered about 25% of the shunt) climbs steep hills better than my bafang cst and bafang bbs 02 48v 500w.but slow.the tonaro keeps going where the two others stalls(no pedalling).At 48 volts with a 20 amp controller it is a really good bike.I have only tried mine for a short ride with 48v 20 amp.I am rebuliding the bike with right now with a nuvinci and a new battery.But here is a good review of a modded Tonaro:

http://evlab.co.nz/2011/tonaro-big-hit-review-and-upgrade/

Reactions: paul b

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
My tonaro (soldered about 25% of the shunt) climbs steep hills better than my bafang cst and bafang bbs 02 48v 500w.but slow.the tonaro keeps going where the two others stalls(no pedalling).At 48 volts with a 20 amp controller it is a really good bike.I have only tried mine for a short ride with 48v 20 amp.I am rebuliding the bike with right now with a nuvinci and a new battery.But here is a good review of a modded Tonaro:

http://evlab.co.nz/2011/tonaro-big-hit-review-and-upgrade/
Looks a good option but im thinking of trying 2 wheel drive with the bafang if i dont like 2 motors fitted i then have a spare kit

D

Deleted member 4366

Two motors doesn't make the bike any faster. You're still limited by the motor winding speed. One motor turns one wheel at 270 rpm. Two motors turn two wheels at 270 rpm. Therefore, pointless having two. If you want to use two motors, choose them with the correct rpm to give the speed you want.

Alternatively you can over-volt them to increase the speed to whatever you want.

The CST motor is rear only. The front one would be a BPM2.

For two 30 amp motors, you need a 60 amp battery, which would be big and heavy.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Could i not use a rear cst on the front It would just be me tinkering about if anything has i will have another motor for a seperate conversion or spare .If i did like the pulling power then i could get a seperate motor

D

Deleted member 4366

There's no advantage and it won't fit. The CST designation means it has the cassette spline, which can't do anything on the front. Take the spline off and you have the BPM motor. It's the same inside. Just the side-plate is different.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
I may aswell just see how i go with one motor then and if i fancy another buy a front kit

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
There must be something wrong with your setup. Mine will blitz a Neo in both speed and hill-climbing. Try a S12S controller or a KU123
I sold the CST kit to my friend.He changed the connection to the battery.He used andesrson plugs.And he told me the power was much improved.He really liked the motor now.I havent tried it yet.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011

Sounds like the hall wires are connected incorrectly.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Ive watched the you tube vids on the cst they look rapid and are not too pricey from bms but can only find it in 36 volt it might be a good option for me to buy two kits as my dad is thinking of getting one and i might be tempted to strap on and try 2wd just for the grin

Motors don't have a rated volts (despite what BMS or anyone else says) - you can run a cst from 24v all the way to 100v+ as long as you keep the watts in check. You might get some eddy current losses with higher voltages and some controllers wont like the higher rpm but higher voltages wont damage the motor. Watts kill motors, not volts.

I ran a Q100 motor @ 63v and programmed the controller to give 12 amps (so 750watts peak) - ran a shade above 25mph all day long without overheating.