1000w kit how big a battery do I need

MarcelBikes94

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2020
I have a 48v 10 ah battery but when I ride my motor randomly shuts off sometimes. what size battery would I need to run my 1000W motor I was thinking 48v and 20ah

ps I was told I cannot upgrade the voltage of my battery... is this true

regards marcel

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The Ah rating is the capacity, how much the tank holds. What you need to know is what current the cells in the battery are capable of delivering, that and the maximum current rating of your controller.
DD motors are notoriously heavy on batteries stressing them with high load demands. You will need a large capacity battery with high quality (expensive) cells to run that rig.

MarcelBikes94

Apr 15, 2020
Hi
thanks for your response, I bought it from eBay so I don’t know the specifics of each cell. Could I change the controller to make it run better? Or are you saying the only thing I can do I buy a bigger battery?

thanks marcel

MarcelBikes94

Apr 15, 2020
Ok fair enough which hubs would you recommend? I think it’s time for me to change kit, I am pretty tired of everyone telling me I’m stuck because I have a rubbish hub lol

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You may be able to ask your controller to give less power, that will take the strain off the battery. You'll obviously lose the maximum power that way, but might avoid the cutouts. Could be a cheap short term solution good for a year or more while you think ahead.

A more efficient hub may be more cost effective in the long run. The 1000w hubs tend to be very cheap to buy, but the advertisers naturally don't stress the downsides: illegal for almost all uses, the need for a large good quality (expensive) battery that may need replacing fairly often, and that even with all that power it won't be very good at hill climbing.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The issue is not just the size of the battery. It's the ability of the constituent cells to deliver the rush of current that's being demanded.
Any geared hub motor will operate more efficiently with less strain on the battery - so it may give more range and have a longer life. However there may be issues pairing a new motor to the existing controller.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they can custom make ebike batts an can recell what you have and you can pick what cells you want imo about 3-400 quid.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need HG2 cells or VTC5/A, VTC6Aor VTC6A cells. for high current and drain.
But they are expensive.