119kg, 5ft6in, 29.5in inner leg recommend a stepthrough bike please

Timbo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2016
Cork
Hi Kitty Kat,

I'm somewhat taller than you, but with a similar inside leg. I have a 54cm Cube Touring Hybrid step through (old sporting back injuries preclude swinging of the leg :( ), which fits me well, although I've fitted straight bars and a shorter stem as I don't like the touring bars. Although I bought it on line, I later found that The Edge in Cork are Cube dealers, and had a good stock last time I was in there. It's a very sturdily-made bike, and is ideal for hilly Ireland.

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Hi Kitty Kat,

I'm somewhat taller than you, but with a similar inside leg. I have a 54cm Cube Touring Hybrid step through (old sporting back injuries preclude swinging of the leg :( ), which fits me well, although I've fitted straight bars and a shorter stem as I don't like the touring bars. Although I bought it on line, I later found that The Edge in Cork are Cube dealers, and had a good stock last time I was in there. It's a very sturdily-made bike, and is ideal for hilly Ireland.
Thanks! I will have a look there, I didn't even realise they were there, I like curved bars I think.
The cube is suitable for my weight, they responded very quickly on facebook so that is a definite runner, I had a very brief spin on a Giant, it was ok and I've also taken out an Oxford and it performed extremely well on a big hill that I would even dread walking up.

David@Amps, I emailed you and if you could let me know who that company would be?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks! I will have a look there, I didn't even realise they were there, I like curved bars I think.
The cube is suitable for my weight, they responded very quickly on facebook so that is a definite runner, I had a very brief spin on a Giant, it was ok and I've also taken out an Oxford and it performed extremely well on a big hill that I would even dread walking up.

David@Amps, I emailed you and if you could let me know who that company would be?
Hi Kate, I will email you later today.

All the best, David

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Hi Kitty Kat,

How good is it on the hills? I am looking at a 50cm version of that same bike soon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi Kitty, I was exactly where you are about 3 weeks ago and I think I also viewed on line the same second hand kalkoff. I n the end I went up to Lisburn and purchased a Raliegh Motus . With the current , and it is even better this weekend, currency exchange, this bike is much more affordable. I t will take 120kg, that's written on the frame. It has a lovely refined motor system and excellent brakes. I have done a 120km within the week and can feel it toning my legs. As a crank motor it encourages one to keep peddling. I am not suggesting that you ignore other brands which may offer greater value, but you should include the Motus in the mix.
The Motus is a big comfortable bike and with the 10 speed gears and motor it is possible to hold it at 25km. Almost irrespective of wind or hill . However I was on normal roads and not mountain climbing. I found it difficult to get much above this speed however, as the motor cuts off at 26 except on down hill where I could get up to 40km. Even at this speed it felt very stable.
The shop in Lisburn ( Hannas ) has had this at a discounted price, but I was given a 2017 model . As a 65. Year old male I opted for the step through version, hope this helps

Timbo

Sep 5, 2016
Cork
How good is it on the hills? I am looking at a 50cm version of that same bike soon
Sorry - only just seen your reply - it's excellent on hills. It has the Performance Cruise rather than the Active Cruise motor, and gives me exactly the right mix of exercise and fun. However, for those who know Kinsale, I don't normally try to climb up the steep hill up from the Bulman..... :)

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Kittycat I am Andy, I am about the same sizeand weight as you but a tad taller at 5ft 10in, did you decide on a bike yet? I also wrote to David of Amps but as of yet had no reply, would you have bought a woosh had they been available in Ireland?
Andy

sent via huawei P9