119kg, 5ft6in, 29.5in inner leg recommend a stepthrough bike please

kittykat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Hi, I've just introduced my self in in the introductory forum but shall go again.

I am 5ft6in tall and have an inside seam of 29.5 inches and 119kg which I'm planning to get right down.
I am open to all brands of ebike and I think I will need a battery with a fair bit of ooomph to take me! My commute to work is short, only 3m each way but I am hoping I will be cycling in and out of the local town which is 14 miles away in no time.
I think a minimum of 11 amps and maybe more but my budget is about £1600 incl VAT, a step through is preferable, at worst a ladies, I can push up the cash required if the right bike comes along but if I am do end up buying in the UK or anywhere else besides Ireland I would need to buy the ebike VAT exlc. I can supply a VAT number from my boss who will put some of the payment through for the cycle to work scheme here in Ireland, and we will arrange payment of the VAT here in Ireland to comply with the scheme rules.

Does anyone know the max user weight on a Cube bike?
I have also been considering a second half Kalkhoff which is an agattu from 2012 with a large 17ah battery, the owner says it still reads as full and they are looking for £1050 for it, it's an exhire bike so cosmetically not great but I like the sound of the battery.

I have been doing lots of research but ebikes are thin on the ground here, very little range of bikes in the local shops, I live in the sticks. The only electric bike I have sat on is a Windsor lpx which was just ok but felt quite small for me.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
At the risk of being pushy!

Hi Kitty Kat

It would be worth trying our 705Torque when they are back in Stock in two weeks.

The frame is built with an oversized down tube which makes the bike strong and very rigid so it performs better than most step throughs. The frame has a 10 year warranty and 119kg is absolutely no problem.

It's a very quiet discreet bike with a very hi torque motor for hill climbing and is fitted with a torque sensor that gives you more assistance power the harder you push down on the pedals.

We have two battery options, 11Ah and 16Ah (375Wh and 575Wh). The bikes are priced at £1599 and £1799 respectively. I would strongly recommend the 16Ah.

Importantly you should test ride a few bikes before making your decision. If you let me know your nearest town I would be pleased to recommend a local dealer where you could try several brands.

Kind regards, David

Reactions: Andy88

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Thanks David, it's not pushy at all, all input welcome. I was looking at Wisper as well, the nearest stockist to me seems to be over 2.5 hours away and the price they are charging is well above my budget anyway. I can email you my address or is there private messaging here?

Would you ship to Ireland excluding VAT when I supply the VAT no?

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
It's a very quiet discreet bike with a very hi torque motor for hill climbing and is fitted with a torque sensor that gives you more assistance power the harder you push down on the pedals
I second that - it's extremely quiet! A friend who has tried out several e-bikes as he knows someone who sells them had a quick go on mine a few weekends back and declared in the quietest he's ever come across. As it's a torque sensor you do need to put some effort in but that should be beneficial if you're aiming for some weight loss. There's plenty of assistance when you need it, though.

I'm about 5' 8" and inside leg about 1" longer than yours - there's plenty of adjustment on the seat post and handlebars that would comfortably accommodate that difference.

If you might be interested in the 705 Torque and a user perspective might be helpful, I did a review of mine on the forum here.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David, it's not pushy at all, all input welcome. I was looking at Wisper as well, the nearest stockist to me seems to be over 2.5 hours away and the price they are charging is well above my budget anyway. I can email you my address or is there private messaging here?

Would you ship to Ireland excluding VAT when I supply the VAT no?

Hi Kitykat,

It would be better to email me david@amps.bike we have just opened two new dealers in Ireland one in Belfast and the other in Dublin. Alternatively we can find a bike shop locally to you to look after you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best, David

D

Deleted member 4366

If that 2012 Kalkhoff has the old Panasonic motor, it should be reliable but not enough power for 112kg. If it's the later Impulse motor, you need to do a bit of research about reliability. There's a thread running at the moment about it.

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
If that 2012 Kalkhoff has the old Panasonic motor, it should be reliable but not enough power for 112kg. If it's the later Impulse motor, you need to do a bit of research about reliability. There's a thread running at the moment about it.
Hmmm, I don't know, it's an Agattu limited edition, I have a feeling it's the impulse 1 motor.

I just emailed you David

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Hi David. Does the wisper 705 se carry up to 130 kg as well?
It's the same frame as mine (the Torque version) which is rated up to 135kg according to the specs (which you can find here if you want them). I'm guessing David will be dashing about getting ready for the NEC show so might not see your query instantly!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
kittykat, you are correct in thinking that you would need a bike with enough oomph. For 5ft6, I would recommend the woosh Santana2 or the Big Bear LS. Both have strong motors, the Santana has 120mm motor, the Big Bear LS 140mm. Most bikes have 100mm (in diameter) motors. You don't need the Big Bear LS' higher pulling power unless you have fitness issues.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Thanks Angelnorth, on the amps download page, it says the se is rated to 135kg as well.

Trex, I was looking at Woosh bikes but they won't ship to Ireland at all. Local bike shop has oxford brand and that is it!
It's starting to look like it might have to be an online purchase, cube came back and the bike I like is just on the limit for me, lots to think about

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David. Does the wisper 705 se carry up to 130 kg as well?
Hi Kittycat,

I can confirm no problems with a 705 carrying 130kg.

Incidentally we have met a chap from Cork who will bring in the bikes for you.

Let's chat next week after the show.

All the best, David

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
Hi Kitykat,

It would be better to email me david@amps.bike we have just opened two new dealers in Ireland one in Belfast and the other in Dublin. Alternatively we can find a bike shop locally to you to look after you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best, David
Hi David

In sure you're busy with the show but wondering who is the Belfast dealer.
Bit too late for me as I bought at the start of the year (Cube from Chain Reaction) but my wife would be interested in an ebike so would be great to have another supplier over here

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Hi David, what is the difference between the mark 2 and 1 torque bikes, I have seen you mention it on another thread

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Kate,

There are four main differences.

The Torque sensor has been upgraded, it's now more sensitive and less obvious.

We have changed from freewheel rear gear cluster to cassette, the gear change is now much slicker and we can now use the cassette version of our motor.

The cassette version of the motor we use has 5Nm more torque so the bike climbs hills and pulls away with more power.

We have re worked the software to give even smoother quieter assistance.

As promised, we are now in negotiation with a stockist in Cork, if you could emailme again we can put you in touch.

Kind regards, David

kittykat

Sep 20, 2016
Ireland
Gears
Shimano Acera 8 speed derailleur with 8 speed selector 8 speed Sunrace rear sprocket.
Is this the mark 2 specification?