1st Bike Project

Adrian21

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 8, 2017
Newcastle
Hello World

I have this bike for which i'm thinking of buying the following kits .

To mention i am making my own battery so any recomendations on BMS'S and any help along the way would be appreciated .

Complete noob absolute no idea in the world so be kind cruel world!.

Here's the kit's i'm considering .

https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/custom/mix-match-your-own-conversion-kit-76.html
https://www.pandaebikes.com/shop/conversion-kits/panda-250-pro-silver-ebike-kit/

I can do both front or back but would prefer front .

Kind Regards

Adrian

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

You can only fit a front or middle motor because you have hub gears. the hub-gears will also limit you to a 250w middle motor.

it's impossible for anyone to advise you what to get without seeing a photo of your bike and you need to tell us what yo want it to do.

Adrian21

Oct 8, 2017
Newcastle
Hello D8veh .

You are most right il attach a picture of the bike now.
I'm planing to use this for a 13 mile commute to work and back so around 26 miles a day .

I would of liked to use the cyclotricity as it scales from 250w to 1000w when needed .

Would i not be able to just change the gears if i was putting an engine on the back ? .

Also any ideas for one that might scale 250w to 1000w for the front anything up to £250 pounds without a battery.

Kind Regards

Adrian

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

The rear motor comes as a complete wheel. It's designed for derailleur gears. you wou need a derailleur to change gear, but you probably haven't got a fixing for one, so no gear-changing would be possible.

I wouldn't advise anybody to fit one of those Cyclotricity kits except in some special circumstances. There's much better kits available.

You bike is totally unsuitable for one anyway. Those brakes won't be able to stop you. They're designed for an average speed of about 10 mph. Even a 250w 15 mph bike would be asking too much of them. For commuting on an electric bike, you need a bike with disc brakes, ideally hydraulic.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
As the old Irish yokel said, when asked for directions, 'It's simple, but I wouldn't start from here if I were you'.
26 miles a day - on that? I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Front hub with a rear rack battery may be possible, BUT (as D8 said) brakes are woefully inadequate. You would quickly find yourself in trouble going down some hill, especially in the wet.
Oh no wait - it doesn't rain in Newcastle:rolleyes::eek::D.
Really, try some skip hopping - bet you'll find something far more suitable and we can help you out.

Adrian21

Oct 8, 2017
Newcastle
Thought so . Well anyone wana buy a 2 week old bike for 19 inch frame 26 inch wheels £170 :)) . So then D8 you were talking about better kits than cyclotricity any around £250 ?.

Cheers

Adrian21

Oct 8, 2017
Newcastle
I've looked at panda one's . Are they really that better than cyclotricity . I'm building the battery from reclaimed laptop batteries. Why would this bike not make the 26 mile ride work ? . I totally agree on the disk break's and i'm either going to have to sell this bike or swap the front fork at least . But apart from the break's if i were to have the engine on , why not adequate?.

Adrian21

Oct 8, 2017
Newcastle
I do agree to real arguments aka disc break's for an e bike , could care less it's a girls bike . I've looked at gumtree for 3 months . I've also tried Recyke a Bike and other fb forums in the area . Nothing much came up at 21 inch bike so back to my question regarding e bike kit's not the Colour of the bike with pink strawberries ! .

I would like to know of any good e bike kits under £250 .

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
You can find a kit on eBay for under £200 (no battery) the problem is that bike is more of a "toy bike" than a proper bike,I got a bike from gumtree for £30 and converted it with the kit from electric bike conversions and it has been fine for over a year so far.

R0881E

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
UK
I thought that you guys were being really harsh on Adrian.

The brakes complaint concerned me since I will be using a road bike and not running with disc brakes...

However, I have now found the picture of the girls bike and my laughing has just woken up my office.. I can find a bike that I like on Gumtree every couple of days, I don't see how this is the best that you can find after 3 months.

Adrian, there are so many threads on here and you appear to have been doing research. Please consider buying a bike that is suitable for long commutes in the saddle.