1st conversion attempt

RON FAIRWEATHER

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2018
Hello , I am a newbe here and I am interested in trying my first conversion . I’ll have to start from scratch , can anyone recommend a simple to install kit with a bit of oomf ? Is front drive a much easier install or is rear worth the extra effort ? Cheers Ron

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You missed out mid drive.

For lightweight simplest kit to fit Is the Revos friction drive kit all done and dusted on 10 - 20 mins.

Front drive tends to be more of a pull me along affect as some times the front wheel will scrabble on loose/wet surface..
No torque arm needed with steel forks otherwise fit at least one if not two for ali forks.

Rear drive is better though best to fit a torque arm on the rhs for ease of fitting unless a steel frame.

Woosh kits or Yose power kits both sell 250w & 350w kits, going for 48v usually means a bit more battery range and power.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Ron,
Have a look at Woosh, all plug and play kits and good customer service, UK supplied.
You can go the route of individual components but you have to be prepared to get the soldering iron out.
I think front hub is the simplest for first installation. So long as your forks have a 100mm drop out, there shouldn't be any major problems. Rear hub, you have to take note of having either cassette or freewheel, and buy the appropiate motor. Dropouts are generally 135mm sometimes chainstays have to be sprung slightly.
Front hub and bottle or rack battery distributes the weight. Rear hub with rack battery is quite tail heavy, frame battery better.
Fitting the pas magnet and sensor can be the trickiest bit (depends on the bike) but usually nothing that a bit of good old in the shed inginuity can't sort out.
Best show us the bike you have, the type of riding you want to do, then we can help more specifically.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi, pretty much as Benjahmin said. We fitted the Woosh XF07 front kit to a tandem with no previous electric bike fitting experience and no significant issues. Not the most powerful, maybe not the oomf you want, but gives us the help on hills we need.

I suspect front hub is easier for a first fit; also likely to be easier if you get a puncture.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get the controller less GSM mid drive from Woosh and get KT 17a controller or try this cheaper controller lcd combo below.
The GSM kit comes with correct motor to controller cable.
Only 13a rated so a bit weedy at 36v but at 48v will give 811w output.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/GSM-external-controller-kit.pdf

Easy no need to disconnect any cables to deal with flats or worry about torque arms and drop out fitting.