Help! 1st E-Bike, need help choosing

Dan90

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2023
Hi all,

Wanting to buy an e-bike for the work commute, about 5 miles, lots of potholes, steep hills and a short trail through some woods.

Things that might help.
Budget up to £4000 but ideally less and looking to purchase through a Cycle to Work scheme. I'm 5"11 and about 75kgs.

I've looked at the E MOVEMENT THUNDER V4.2, MULTITRACKS X1B, YOIKOTO E-SUMMIT, SPECIALIZED Tero 3.0 2022, TREK Marlin +6 2024.

But as it's my first time looking into e-bikes I've no idea if these are junk or decent value for money. Then there's what's legal and not so legal.

Recently had a go on a friends e-bike, just a cheap one from Amazon but it was a lot of fun with the throttle, really liked that, are those legal? Cause I'd love to find something I can just crank the throttle on the hills and breeze up them.

I have a lot of research to do but thought I'd ask here to try get some thoughts, maybe save me a bit of time.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
You only say that because you haven't ridden a Wisper Wayfarer with hub motor. There's a reason why the hub-motor version out-sells the crank motor version by 10 to one.

I haven't driven a Bugatti Veyron to know it would be no good for me wither and have ridden FRONT and REAR hubs and they are crap compared to my mid, so don't assume because you will always either be wrong or sound stupid assuming what others do without actual facts.

I said before here, you or someone come off road MTBing with me, I'll use my mid drive you chose front/rear and we will see.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
MID drive all t5he way just google MID drive or hub drive to see how many IN THE KNOW will say it beats hub hans down
I haven't driven a Bugatti Veyron to know it would be no good for me wither and have ridden FRONT and REAR hubs and they are crap compared to my mid, so don't assume because you will always either be wrong or sound stupid assuming what others do without actual facts.

I said before here, you or someone come off road MTBing with me, I'll use my mid drive you chose front/rear and we will see.
I took your advice and checked out Google to see what people said about crank vs hub motor. It took me all morning. Here are the results:

Out of the people that knew what they were talking about, 5 said crank motors were better and 18 said hub-motors.

Out of those that didn't know what they were taking about, 13 said crank motors were better and zero said hubs.

I therefore conclude that the evidence from Google shows that hubs are better. QED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most of the world's cyclists don't live in Wales or ever go MTBing, so please stop giving bad advice by insisting mid drive is best. For the majority of cyclists in the majority of circumstances, rear hub drive is best for many sound reasons, but for SOME like yourself it isn't. Your choice is fine for you at present with your very obvious lack of extensive experience of pedelecs, but it would be an inferior choice for most commuters and the majority of leisure cyclists.

No people and country are more cycling experienced than the Dutch in The Netherlands, where 70% own a bicycle and 48% currently cycle every day. That experience extends to assisted cycling with e-bikes which they were first doing in the 1930s before anyone else even knew such things existed, and today they have the largest sales of pedelecs pro rata to population in the world. And the two largest bicycle manufacturing groups in the western world are both Dutch, that's Accell Group and Pon Holdings, between them owning and producing a huge range of the best known brands in a number of countries.

With all that vast knowledge and experience the Dutch mainly choose to ride hub motor pedelecs.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Saracen's replies due to his autism is what is expected of someone with this disibility, a blinkered one way insight as to the way their minds think and rasionalise things,
It is an inibility to except others findings or to except resonable sound discussion.

Forum users need to take in to account his postings and not berate/belittle him , we just have to accept this is his view and no matter what we may say he may never agree with.

As I have mentioned I have used hub bikes in hilly conditions and off road in the wilds of the beuatiful South Downs where one sees little else in bike or people traffic and they worked fine, for some though you will never convince them and they will be led by the mid drive clan and none more so then the short sighted LBS's who are tied to the main brands.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Most of the world's cyclists don't live in Wales or ever go MTBing, so please stop giving bad advice by insisting mid drive is best. For the majority of cyclists in the majority of circumstances, rear hub drive is best for many sound reasons, but for SOME like yourself it isn't. Your choice is fine for you at present with your very obvious lack of extensive experience of pedelecs, but it would be an inferior choice for most commuters and the majority of leisure cyclists.

No people and country are more cycling experienced than the Dutch in The Netherlands, where 70% own a bicycle and 48% currently cycle every day. That experience extends to assisted cycling with e-bikes which they were first doing in the 1930s before anyone else even knew such things existed, and today they have the largest sales of pedelecs pro rata to population in the world. And the two largest bicycle manufacturing groups in the western world are both Dutch, that's Accell Group and Pon Holdings, between them owning and producing a huge range of the best known brands in a number of countries.

With all that vast knowledge and experience the Dutch mainly choose to ride hub motor pedelecs.
The Netherlands is as flat as a pancake, therefore I'm not at all surprised the Dutch mostly choose hub motored pedelecs. I would. With 26% of the country below sea level, easier breathing. Even towing of very heavy trailers would be possible with flatness as far as the eye can see in all directions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Netherlands is as flat as a pancake, therefore I'm not at all surprised the Dutch mostly choose hub motored pedelecs. I would. With 26% of the country below sea level, easier breathing. Even towing of very heavy trailers would be possible with flatness as far as the eye can see in all directions.
Precisely my point to Saracen, his saying only mid drives are any good is thoroughly bad advice for the majority of the world's cyclists, given how much more expensive on average they are to buy and run over time and so often unnecessary.

However I fear you've discounted headwinds, which over the polders in the Netherlands are truly fearsome with no land based obstructions to impede them.

• Agree
Reactions: Oldie and guerney

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Forum users need to take in to account his postings and not berate/belittle him , we just have to accept this is his view and no matter what we may say he may never agree with.
No. I am also neurodivergent and live with someone with autism.

I welcome someone pointing out a social cue when I am being rude. I may disagree and continue, but being neurodivergent does not give me permission to behave badly.

Reactions: flecc and Az.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What, like recommending wellington boots on a motorbike? :D
Yes indeed, but it's a matter of nomenclature.

In the smart motorcycling world we don't say wellingtons, we say dairy boots, just like they do in dairy farming.

They're excellent for motorcycling. The upstairs large clothing department of the swish Honda m/c dealer in my area always has a range of dairy boots on show.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What, like recommending wellington boots on a motorbike? :D
I used to use German Paratropper boots for that - Gore-tex lining, and after a good going over with Nikwax, the leather became very supple and waterproof. They're great while their Vibram soles remain on.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I used to use German Paratropper boots for that - Gore-tex lining, and after a good going over with Nikwax, the leather became very supple and waterproof. They're great while their Vibram soles remain on.

Yes well I couldn't resist having a bit of fun. I don't really want to get on the wrong side of saneagle, he has too much knowledge and advice for me to get blocked.

I wore wellies with a pair of waterproof overtrousers for years on my commute on my CZ175 that I paid £20 for, this was back in the eighties, the bike was old even then.

Years later when I could afford decent bikes I got proper boots, saved my foot one day when I came off my GPZ900R. My son had those German boots for when he went pillion.

Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've done well over 1/2 million miles on motorbikes, riding in all weathers, sometimes very long distances, like 650 miles in a day. I used to do all the big winter rallies. I never sat in the driving seat of a car until I was near 30 years old. I can tell you that nothing comes close to a pair of wellies to keep your feet warm and dry. Also, if you want to keep the rest of you dry, one of those yellow pvc builders suits are difficult to beat. They don't cost much, but they need to be replaced every two years because the UV light eventually makes them brittle. They're still cheaper than anything you'd get in a motorbike shop in the long run.

here you can see them in action 900 miles from home during a 2 1/2 thousand mile trip. Note how dry my back is!

Last edited:

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I assume you are an american or just some obnoxious human, see my SIGNATURE "Autistic and proud " do you have a problem with Autistic disabled people you appear to ?
Saracen without wishing to stir things up further.

I have obviously cause you offense. I consider myself big enough and ugly enough to offer you an apology.
I do not need or want one in return. Though I do urge you to take notice of some that has been said/written since by others and have a more open mind.
There are a some people that have been on this site much longer than you or I and they have gained vastly more experience than us and without these knowledgeable people the site would not be what it is..........American, no........