1st weekend with Bergamont Trailster C 9.0

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not another one, keep getting grief about them of a colleague :rolleyes: Their here to stay anyhow, keeps my backside clean and mud off the forks. I reckon it's only fair weather cyclists who are anti mudguards.
I'm no fair weather rider, and I have grown to hate mudguards even more than Steve does. The exception being a front Neogaurd. :)

Out of interest, has the paint worn off the pedal crank after just 93 miles of use?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Steve A

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I'm no fair weather rider, and I hate mudguards even more than Steve does. The exception being a front Neogaurd. :)

Out of interest, has the paint worn off the pedal crank after just 93 miles of use?
Enough about mudguards already.

That wear is from me stomping on the pedals in my muddy size 12 boots. Probably should be watching my foot placement a bit as shouldn't really be rubbing that much, can see it getting worse throughout the ride in the photos. Was going to happen sooner or later anyhow.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've done it as well. I didn't have my pedal cleat adjusted properly, and wore the paint off over a period of time. Not 93 miles though. :)

I didn't make the same mistake twice, but having flats you don't have the benefit of that adjustment. Heli tape or even electrical tape is the next best option.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I've done it as well. I didn't have my pedal cleat adjusted properly, and wore the paint off over a period of time. Not 93 miles though. :)

I didn't make the same mistake twice, but having flats you don't have the benefit of that adjustment. Heli tape or even electrical tape is the next best option.
Think i'm ok on the road but off-road was too hairy to be checking where my feet are. Everything was making rubbing grinding noises by that time anyhow.

Probably got a bit ambitious for my first long ride. There was one track that I was really starting to regret half way up. Steep, long, muddy, deep ruts and torn up by a stream going down it. Going to be feeling it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve A and EddiePJ

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Here it is all gleaming after it's first bath and polish.
Before use, clean bike pics taken - Check.
Mudguards fitted - Check.

And you're good to go. :)

I've left my bike muddy for several reasons;-

Cleaning is a chore.
The mud becomes a protective layer for your paint job.
Mud covered wires stay drier, longer.
I live in England! :p

Mudguards do a good job when you're ploughing your route. They're function over form and do make a big difference. Some, more than others. :)

Just my two cents of course. Anyway, your bike looks great and so does your backyard riding track. Superb. :)

Reactions: Steve A and IR772

steveness

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
I've just ordered one of these from Voltz in Blidworth, they kindly lent me one of their own personal bikes to have a go on. I had a good thrash round Sherwood pines and it was a game changer for me.. now got to wait 2 weeks for delivery, I'm like a kid at christmas !

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I've just ordered one of these from Voltz in Blidworth, they kindly lent me one of their own personal bikes to have a go on. I had a good thrash round Sherwood pines and it was a game changer for me.. now got to wait 2 weeks for delivery, I'm like a kid at christmas !
Is it the same 2016 C 9.0 version? Sure your going to love it. Makes such a difference knowing you can power up any hill you want.

Nearly up to 500km on mine now. Unfortunately went and crashed it earlier this week. Will cost me a few quid to fix but could of been much worse. Entirely my fault, went too fast round a blind corner and got caught out by a car blocking the track. Grabbed a fist full of brake and ended up on the ground in front of the car. Got a few bruises and a smashed up the front brake lever so waiting on a replacement now. Was impressed how well my MTB gloves stood up, really saved my hands and still good to wear.

Here's a pic from one of my better rides:
Photo 31-03-2017, 6 15 48 pm_sm.jpg

Reactions: Gaz

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
Yep, same bike. Just took delivery of it and did a quick 19mile ride around sherwood pines. So much fun, I can't wait to get out again tomorrow :)

Attachments

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
Is it the same 2016 C 9.0 version? Sure your going to love it. Makes such a difference knowing you can power up any hill you want.

Nearly up to 500km on mine now. Unfortunately went and crashed it earlier this week. Will cost me a few quid to fix but could of been much worse. Entirely my fault, went too fast round a blind corner and got caught out by a car blocking the track. Grabbed a fist full of brake and ended up on the ground in front of the car. Got a few bruises and a smashed up the front brake lever so waiting on a replacement now. Was impressed how well my MTB gloves stood up, really saved my hands and still good to wear.

Here's a pic from one of my better rides:
View attachment 19062
damn.. hope you get it fixed soon mate.. great bike :)

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Now the weathers getting better I thought I'd do a quick update.

Coming up to 2,000 km. No major issues just had to replace some wear and tear parts: rear tire, chain, chainring, pedals, chain guide sprocket bearings, pads etc. Did have a problem with spoke nipples breaking, got through about 5 on the rear. Think it was an issue with the aluminium nipples failing prematurely so had them all replaced at LBS for £10.

Managed to keep up my work commute through most of the winter but not so much proper rides except for a couple of fun outings in the snow over Christmas. Looking forward to some longer rides now weather is improving and days getting longer.

Bike looks a right state at the moment as given up trying to keep it clean. Too much hassle washing it down in the dark, seems over cleaning can do more harm than good anyhow. Just scrape away the of the worst of the mud and apply a little oil when it sounds like it is needed. Will give it a proper spring clean and switch to dry lube when the weather is drier.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Like the bike, but hate the look of mudguards on bikes. I've tried just about all mudguards in the past and they have all been useless to some extent. It's much easier to clean bike without them.

I did say i hated the look of mudguards didn't i :)
I find it's not about keeping bike clean, more keeping arse dry and grit free.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Not another one, keep getting grief about them of a colleague :rolleyes: Their here to stay anyhow, keeps my backside clean and mud off the forks. I reckon it's only fair weather cyclists who are anti mudguards.
As my old drill Sergeant used to say " Any fool can be cold and wet"

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Now the weathers getting better I thought I'd do a quick update.

Coming up to 2,000 km. No major issues just had to replace some wear and tear parts: rear tire, chain, chainring, pedals, chain guide sprocket bearings, pads etc. Did have a problem with spoke nipples breaking, got through about 5 on the rear. Think it was an issue with the aluminium nipples failing prematurely so had them all replaced at LBS for £10.

Managed to keep up my work commute through most of the winter but not so much proper rides except for a couple of fun outings in the snow over Christmas. Looking forward to some longer rides now weather is improving and days getting longer.

Bike looks a right state at the moment as given up trying to keep it clean. Too much hassle washing it down in the dark, seems over cleaning can do more harm than good anyhow. Just scrape away the of the worst of the mud and apply a little oil when it sounds like it is needed. Will give it a proper spring clean and switch to dry lube when the weather is drier.
Make sure you service/lube CX bearing seal on drive side regularly especially over winter. If you don't what I'm talking about, ask or look, there is lot of info on it buried in these forums.

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
I'm having a nightmare with mine !.. done 3,600 miles since I bought it, in that time I've:

Replaced both wheels due to original ones snapping spokes

Replaced the chain guide sproket bearings every 200 miles (they just fail for fun !)

Had a new lower swing arm and chain guide spindle in an attempt to resolve the above (still failing)

Wore out 3 cassettes and several chains before replacing whole drive train with SRAM EX1 system. I thought this would give me better chain and cassette life, sadly this isn't the case and one of the rings on the cassette has worn out after 350miles !.. now got a complaint in with SRAM as £400 for a new one as its one of the fixed rings thats failed.

I'm on my 3rd Bosch motor too.. 1st one started to clunk after 2000Miles, the 2nd failed pretty much within the 1st week so was probably just unlucky with that one.

I clean the bike after pretty much every ride, I'm pretty anal about this due to how quickly I'm tearing through bearings, chains and cassettes.

I'm now starting to wonder if this bike was the right choice for me as I must have spent over £1500 on the bike since July 2017 :(

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
You need to change bosch chain ring with the chain, at €8 its cheap way to extend life of chain.

Shimano XT/SLX 11spd may not last as long as EX1 but parts are lot cheaper. Sunrace cassettes €42 every 2nd or 3rd chain (€25 +€8each).

Alternatively try XT 9spd derailleur with clutch, 14t chainring and Sunrace 11-40t cassette. The chains and cassettes are lot cheaper than 11spd and should last longer. Might even get away with 13t chainring for big hills.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to change bosch chain ring with the chain, at €8 its cheap way to extend life of chain.

Shimano XT/SLX 11spd may not last as long as EX1 but parts are lot cheaper. Sunrace cassettes €42 every 2nd or 3rd chain (€25 +€8each).

Alternatively try XT 9spd derailleur with clutch, 14t chainring and Sunrace 11-40t cassette. The chains and cassettes are lot cheaper than 11spd and should last longer. Might even get away with 13t chainring for big hills.
Good advice, but I'm thinking back to the discussion about whether it's better to pay more to get a good quality/high specification bike. That's an awful lot of messing about on a bike that costs thousands.

I bet most people never buy a chain or sprocket in the lifetime of their Wisper Torque, Juicy Classic or similar bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Related Articles

Advertisers