36v 250watt - 48v 250watt can I?

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Hi guys
I'm trying to give My partner's bike more torque, she's disabled. She has at present has a Freego hawk 36v 250watt motor, with a 7amp nominal -15amp max speed controller. I have a spare 48v 13ah dolphin battery, and a 15amp nominal - 30amp max speed controller. If I purchase a KT LCD3 display, can I, in the P & C settings, adjust the parameters to lower the voltage, and or Amps? output to give this bike a little more torque, (not speed) i will restrict that to 15-20mph.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Is the 48v controller you have a KT? The kt lcd3 is only compatible with kt controllers. If it's 30 amp will it fit in the compartment.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Is the 48v controller you have a KT? The kt lcd3 is only compatible with kt controllers. If it's 30 amp will it fit in the compartment.
Hi Pete
Yes the controller, KT lcd3 and 48v 13ah dolphin battery were bought has a kit from the now defunct - I believe! EBC. No the controller will not fit in it's dedicated compartment, but no worries there. I plan to put the battery on it's fixing plate on the rear rack, and controller next to it in original triangle bag.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
OK, so you have a LCD3 that came with the controller and battery. There is no adjustment of voltage AFAIK, but you can lower the amperage, although I think only by 5 amps or so, C5 in the menu. The motor will be OK on 48v, but 25 amp may be pushing it a bit. If you stay away from PAS 5 and go easy on the throttle, you should not have any problems.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Cheers for your advice Pete, very much appreciated. Yes sorry about the LCD confusion-My fault! Yes I need to purchase the said KT LCD3, because I retained the original on My 52v build last week. But I'm sure I can get one from ebay. Thanks again Pete.
OK, so you have a LCD3 that came with the controller and battery. There is no adjustment of voltage AFAIK, but you can lower the amperage, although I think only by 5 amps or so, C5 in the menu. The motor will be OK on 48v, but 25 amp may be pushing it a bit. If you stay away from PAS 5 and go easy on the throttle, you should not have any problems.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hmm, 52v always gets my attention:)I love projects like this, improving what you have rather than just buying new. I have an old Woosh that owes me nothing, which I plan on over volting with a 48v 20amp KT at some point, sorry Tony.:eek: I'm in Shaftesbury, so not a million miles away, give me a shout anytime, always happy to meet the like minded:)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ebike-24V-36V-48V-intelligent-LCD-Control-Panel-LCD-Display-Electric-Bicycle-bike-Parts-for-KT/32613010219.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.643c2e0esAFdqm

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Hmm, 52v always gets my attention:)I love projects like this, improving what you have rather than just buying new. I have an old Woosh that owes me nothing, which I plan on over volting with a 48v 20amp KT at some point, sorry Tony.:eek: I'm in Shaftesbury, so not a million miles away, give me a shout anytime, always happy to meet the like minded:)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ebike-24V-36V-48V-intelligent-LCD-Control-Panel-LCD-Display-Electric-Bicycle-bike-Parts-for-KT/32613010219.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.643c2e0esAFdqm
Cheers for the link, that's fantastic! Yeah Shaftesbury, just an average length bike ride on My latest build Pete. I will definitely give you a shout when I'm up there. If you find yourself in Poole, then same as! Did someone say 52v?

Reactions: wheeliepete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30amp may well be too much for a 250w hub ( which one is it do you know)?
Also the battery will it be able to deliver higher amp load asked of it (battery spec and cells used inside)?

LCD3 can limit controller amps by -5a max each , though newer models I believe use a percentage rate now.

Voltage can't be set but for torque you need 48v and about 20a amps, limit the speed to about 17mph or less so as not to convert extra power to speed. Torque will be greater at slower speed and in pas 5, you will need a battery with good 10a cells to deliver reliable power without cutting out through out the voltage range.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Also the battery will it be able to deliver higher amp load asked of it (battery spec and cells used inside)?

LCD3 can limit controller amps by -5a max each , though newer models I believe use a percentage rate now.

Voltage can't be set but for torque you need 48v and about 20a amps, limit the speed to about 17mph or less so as not to convert extra power to speed. Torque will be greater at slower speed and in pas 5, you will need a battery with good 10a cells to deliver reliable power without cutting out through out the voltage range.
Hi Nealh
Thanks for your input. The motor is a standard Freego hawk 36v 250watt bafang 8fun high torque rear gearless hub. The battery is 48v 13ah Panasonic cells - sorry I can't be more specific, I did try 5months ago when new to get more details off them,
Electric bike conversion Ltd (EBC) I believe now defunct. So I can only surmise Panasonic low to mid range of sorts. Also, unlike My new 52v battery which I had built to My spec! I'm unaware of the 48v battery BMS, sorry! It did however perform very well in all area's on My 48v build from 3months ago.

Thanks again Nealh for your help

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Hi Nealh
Thanks for your input. The motor is a standard Freego hawk 36v 250watt bafang 8fun high torque rear gearless hub. The battery is 48v 13ah Panasonic cells - sorry I can't be more specific, I did try 5months ago when new to get more details off them,
Electric bike conversion Ltd (EBC) I believe now defunct. So I can only surmise Panasonic low to mid range of sorts. Also, unlike My new 52v battery which I had built to My spec! I'm unaware of the 48v battery BMS, sorry! It did however perform very well in all area's on My 48v build from 3months ago.

Thanks again Nealh for your help

One thing I did forget to mention Nealh is, this 48v battery and 15-30amp controller are the original paired kit from EBC

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Your BMS should be fine if it ran without cutting out with the 30 amp controller on your bike, although the battery is prob. working pretty hard at that power level, but without knowing the exact cells in it, is hard to say for sure. As you need a new LCD3, it might be worth considering ordering a 20amp controller with it for an extra £20. The postage gets discounted with PSW the more you order.. Would make a neater job as it will fit in the compartment and less wires to extend to the bag.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/36V-48V-500W-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-sensor-Controller-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Hub-Motor-Controller-with/1314442_32759790640.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.3.1097382fUBW2vn

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

I very recently opened a 36v 13ah pack from them. It contained no name 2600mah cells (50)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I very recently opened a 36v 13ah pack from them. It contained no name 2600mah cells (50)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seeing K' s reply makes sense I could only see them being 2600mah cells.
If they were magenta/red with a shade of blue ring on the v+ end then most likely they are SANYO 2600mah 5a cells, they look like no name cells but have a very feint marking on the side that needs good light and a magnifying glass to find and read aslo on the v- end there is often a printed code.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 250w 8fun will start melting at 48v x 30a, asking it to handle 1440w in pas 5 or using throttle will kill it.
17a or 20a controller would be good and give very good torque,
816/960w controller output and about 650/780w at the wheel, if using throttle or pas 5. Limit the speed as suggested to 16/17mph.

Last edited: