36volt BMS board help

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
Hi.
I'm Bryan and I live in Maryport, Cumbria.
I have a lithium battery 36v15Ah with a large heavy duty BMS board, with a blown capacitor as shown in the added photo.
The board is around 8"square, can I purchase the correct capacitor or would I need to replace the board ?
All advice is welcome, I was told to ask a member for advise also..."
d8veh"

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks a bit black top right id remove it and see what it looks like on the back first

doubt you could fix it if its gone bang and taken other bits with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is a psu from a 400 quid monitor and looks ok from the top

other side different story its toast.

D

Deleted member 4366

Capacitors are cheap, so it's worth a try. What made it blow? Can you still read the case markings? What's the 8 pin connector for?

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
My local electronic engineer has checked and said its completely blown it into space, most BMS boards from China are minute compared to this one, I ordered one and you could fit six side by side in this overall area.

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
I'm not sure, it arrived in the post damaged, looks to me like reverse polarity IMHO.
I'll ask the engineer if he can try and clean away the blackened area and check the marking on the board
Bryan

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant you just send it back ? @36v 15a id not want to mess around with it less d8 got another idea?

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
I got refund, well 50% as he said it was perfect when sent, but after several argument/conversation we agreed on half each, so I asked a local electronic repair guy to have a look, I've lost sensory feelings in my hands, so my electrical engineering days are just memories now

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm totally baffled. What's the complete story behind it. Why do you have it? Where did you get it from? Was it attached to the battery when you got it? Did it go bang when you had it?

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so did you plug it in to charge it and it went bang? did it come with a battery?

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
Capacitors are cheap, so it's worth a try. What made it blow? Can you still read the case markings? What's the 8 pin connector for?
Nothing was plugged into that connection d8veh, just asked my engineer, the board underneath is okay, it's just that area that is damaged.
He has never worked on lithium battery of this size before, so he is very wary etc about doing the correct way etc

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
so did you plug it in to charge it and it went bang? did it come with a battery?
It sits on top of the battery, when the unit arrived it had lost its charge, I connected the charger and it only showed 13.6 volts.
I asked for a refund but the owner refused.
I sent it to the local repair man and he discovered the blown damage

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
where did you buy it from?ebay?

Reactions: six9giant

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
I'm totally baffled. What's the complete story behind it. Why do you have it? Where did you get it from? Was it attached to the battery when you got it? Did it go bang when you had it?
I bought it off eBay as a working battery, it was posted to me and it arrived under charged, connected charger and it only metered at 13.6 volts and not 42 volts as first told.
I asked for a refund but the seller refused any returns.
We had discussions and agreed to agree that no one could answer why it did not work.
So he refunded half the cost less postage charge, I lost around forty quid.
Took it to this local electronic repair guy, he took it apart from the aluminum box, unwrapped the plastic around the lithium battery, found the BMS board with the damaged area.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds like it was knackered b4 you even got it tbh start a pay pal dispute and get the rest of ur money back.

also get a report from the guy you got to have a look at it and send it to pay pal and the photo of the damage to it.

Reactions: six9giant

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
I purchased it well over a month ago, so we'll past the PayPal process.
I've took it on the chin and won't be fleeced again, it has made me very careful lately.
Just thought I'd try to redirect the battery by either fitting a new BMS or getting the damaged part replaced.
Just cannot find anyone that supplied this large board.
I do know the battery originally came from Bankrupt Bike parts off eBay, as I researched the type that is still on sale at £140 + postage...
Even thought about asking them for details, but I understand that they are just a auction wholesale house with no technical knowledge