375 miles need new brake pads!

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks trex. You mean prolonging the life of the rims as apposed to pads? Or both?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I have to agree with Trex.
I was on rim brake before (even with a very good quality one) and they went so quickly as well as lost the braking power
I am now on M615 hydraulic brakes and the braking power remains the same after 4000miles (same pad)

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
But that requires buying a frame, forks and new front hub motor that takes disc brakes as far as I am concerned. New pads and the occasional rim is cheaper!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I have to agree with Trex.
I was on rim brake before (even with a very good quality one) and they went so quickly as well as lost the braking power
I am now on M615 hydraulic brakes and the braking power remains the same after 4000miles (same pad)
What pad are you using? Probably not resin?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Just a normal rubber block from my LBS. As he charges me £5/pair I will be getting some of the Clarkes ones today!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
4k miles is excellant but depends on journeys times and distance, longer distance/journey time usally means less brake use whilst shorter journeys are local and usually require more frequent stops. My bike has done about 1400 very local miles in a year on B01S resins 360 of them are electric miles the pads are still viable, I should be able to get another 300 out of them.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Looks like I'll just keep buying a regular supply of pads and change them every month or so. At 1.99 each that's not too bad. Cheaper than petrol!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Looks like I'll just keep buying a regular supply of pads and change them every month or so. At 1.99 each that's not too bad. Cheaper than petrol!
Hydraulic discs are 100 per cent better.

All you might lose is the cut-out, which wouldn't bother me if it were my bike.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Hydraulic discs are 100 per cent better.

All you might lose is the cut-out, which wouldn't bother me if it were my bike.
It would bother me. There's a couple of times I'd have rammed into the back of a car without it!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
It would bother me. There's a couple of times I'd have rammed into the back of a car without it!
not required to do that. there are more than a few threads on this forum that I have been reading in the last week where people have made their own cutouts for better quality brake levers (including hydraulic ones) by simply mounting a reed switch on the brake mount and a magnet on the lever. When the lever is pulled towards the mount, the reed is closed and the cutout is triggered as the short is caused. - not difficult to do, just requires a bit of tinkering.!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
What pad are you using? Probably not resin?
Original that came with it. I am running my bike at 15mph max so possibly why it has not wore that quail like yours

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Original that came with it. I am running my bike at 15mph max so possibly why it has not wore that quail like yours
are you trying to say that some of us are on the slightly larger side if we are wearing our brakes out faster than you? :(

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I remember cwah running his bike over 25mph so ;)

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Really? I was adjusting them with my allen key and even when perfectly aligned they hardly gripped... am I doing something wrong?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Really? I was adjusting them with my allen key and even when perfectly aligned they hardly gripped... am I doing something wrong?
Just checking, and forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but you have pulled the cable up? Once pad position is set, you rarely need to re-adjust (perhaps once) during the life of the pad. Adjusting the cable however, needs to be done regularly, every few hundred miles, and more often on a new cable.

Those pads look ok to me. I use cheapo pads, ride it like I stole it, and I'm the wrong side of 17 stone. My pads do at least 1500 miles.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I'd second that. My pads are more worn than that and I only replace them when they are worn all they way down to the groves on part of the pad. Your pads look only half used by my standards!

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Its quite easy to get it wrong with all the possible adjustments - could be worth spending a few hours googling 'how to adjust bike brakes' for some tips?