375 miles need new brake pads!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
(To clarify I was agreeing with you Mike, not saying I do the same thing as crE)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Really? I was adjusting them with my allen key and even when perfectly aligned they hardly gripped... am I doing something wrong?
the blocks are dammaged because you let ridges form over the contact area, reducing braking power. Don't bother repairing them this time when new pads only cost £3-£4 a pair (wilkinsons have them for £1.99) but look after them better next time. It could be the result of dirty rim and not poor alignment.
If you want, post a couple of close-ups of the pads in situ, we'll see how to improve their adjustment.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks guys. The new pads arrive today. Thanks trex on the wilko tip.

When I fit them I will take photos. And will clean my rims regularly

Reactions: Silas Flyn

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Oh and yes. I did move the cable. Kept doing it and doing it. It was either full lock or no contact :(

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Don't want to sound patronising, but have you found the cable adjusters on the brake levers? If you set to mid point, squeeze new blocks to the rim, then tighten the cable at the brake end, you should be close and can fine tune with the lever adjuster?

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
No not patronising. I'm pretty new to this. I put the new pads on and they work a dream. Put pennies between the pads and the rim. Pulled it tight and tightened the brake cable. A bit of adjustment on the springs and it's all good. For now