Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2016
Birmingham
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

DAJ

Pedelecer
May 8, 2015
22.5 miles each way? With a charge in between the bike can do it but can you? Even with a dongle (to up the maximum assisted speed) you are going to be in the saddle for at least 2-3 hours a day and you have to spin the pedalls to get the motor to work (unless you go self build with a hand throttle).

Not trying to put you off, infact to me it sounds like a great adventure but if you are not all ready into cycling it may be a tad too far.

• Agree

btcc2000

Oct 6, 2016
Birmingham
It will be a cycle to work and I can put it on charge through out the day and then a 22.5 mile cycle home. I'm not a stranger to cycling but it has been a while, shouldn't take to long to get back into but its likely to be 5 days a week I'd be doing it.

Do you have to spin hard or can it be a leisurely pedal? Do you think the bike I posted would be any good?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's the phrase "without pedalling" that's a bit of a problem. To maintain 15 mph takes about 250w output power, which means about 350w from your battery. 45 miles would take 3 hours, so you'd need a battery with about 1000wh capacity.

A moped would be a lot cheaper, more comfortable, faster and has a lot more range. I can't see any sense in using a bicycle.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that bike only has a 200w motor and its near impossible to remove the speed limit unless you know some one with the device to remove it with.

any bosch Yamaha bike will do it tho distance wise with a 500w batt but you need to try some out first.

btcc2000

Oct 6, 2016
Birmingham
I didnt know you had to pedal for the motor to work which is why I'm here :) but I don't mind having to pedal I was just curious if the bike I posted was capable. I have a motorbike as well as car but my problem is I'm about to lose my licence due the totting up on my licence.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Doable but 5 days a week might be a tall order, the route and conditions will be the biggest factor and a 4hr + extension to your working day. My brother does that mileage to work a couple times a week on nicer days, it takes him about 60 -75mins on a Kalkhof Endeavour S ped. if you want a throttle only option get a putput. or a scooter.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That bike isn't road legal in the UK which is why they have put 200W, it is an s-pedelec capable of 45 kph/29 mph. The battery is a 468 Wh so it will do the ride with a charge at the office if the route is reasonable flat.

btcc2000

Oct 6, 2016
Birmingham
that bike only has a 200w motor and its near impossible to remove the speed limit unless you know some one with the device to remove it with.

any bosch Yamaha bike will do it tho distance wise with a 500w batt but you need to try some out first.
Any suggestions to what bike? Its going to be all road so a guess a hybrid bike would be best as opposed to mountain bikes which i'm used to. Something no more than £2000 which can have the speed limit removed easily. What sort of speeds can you get with the limiter removed?

btcc2000

Oct 6, 2016
Birmingham
That bike isn't road legal in the UK which is why they have put 200W, it is an s-pedelec capable of 45 kph/29 mph. The battery is a 468 Wh so it will do the ride with a charge at the office if the route is reasonable flat.
The bike I posted in the link isnt road legal? Its not all flat but If it runs out of charge I can take over without a motor can't I?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles make the bikes sclass speed, so not road legal but i never had a problem.

i can do 10 miles in 28 mins with avg speed 21mph and max 30 over that distance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Our posts crossed.
In that case then it might be better getting a specific road style bike like the Woosh Karoo, the Kudos Stealth/aAlamo or an S pedelec . What ever bike you get you will need to assist. S peds tend to be torque sensored so the more you put in the faster they will go.
You will need to pedal especially on hills, even with a full working throttle chances are the controller and the battery will suffer. Throttle usually demands full power/amps so trying to ask this of a controller and battery will;
1. Overheat and stress the controller eventually you will smoke it.
2. Reduce the range available and lessen the batteries life.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Speed pedelec more then 250w capable of 30mph or more only legal if registered/liceneced/insured to use on public roads. Though many don't bother as the chance of being stopped is nil but if you are involved in an accident then sh*t may well hit the fan.

Reactions: brightonebikes

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
If you're about to lose your license then I wouldn't ride a dongled bike or an S Pedelec because if you're caught they will throw the book at you.

Reactions: D C
D

Deleted member 4366

There aren't many ready-made bikes that can do it, but it's pretty easy to make your own. You can get all sorts of motor and battery combinations that will do what you want.

If I was going to do that journey, I'd get a used full suspension mountain bike with a conventional aluminium triangle frame and fit a 52V (they call it 50v) Bafang BBSHD kit and triangle battery from Em3ev.com. The kit is about £1000, so total cost would be about £1600 including the bike. It wouldn't be legal because it would take you to 30 mph when you wanted. 20 to 22 mph is about the sweet spot where you still look like a cyclist. Above that, you'd get noticed. Also, it's quite dangerous going faster than that on a bicycle because you don't have enough grip from the tyres for heavy braking and cars don't realise you're going so fast, so they pull out on you and cut you up all the time.

The faster you go, the bigger the battery you need, which is why I recommended that Em3ev triangle battery. 52v and 17.7Ah gives you 1000Wh without too much weight. If you kept to around 20 mph and pedalled normally, you'd use about 720Wh.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike I posted in the link isnt road legal? Its not all flat but If it runs out of charge I can take over without a motor can't I?
Yes but you will struggle to keep going 15mph or above as you will be trying to ride a heavy bike and anything with an incline will be very hard work.
The bike in post 1 has a direct drive hub so extra heavy and built for speed but not generally to good or clever at hill climbing and even worse if the battery is flat. Look for a crank drive or a geared hub bike alternatively get a kit and fit to a bike of your choice.

• Agree