50 cycles new store Altrincham

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I had an invite to the opening of the new 50 cycles store in Altrincham today.

Booked my ticket a little while ago before I had pretty made up my mind on what my next ebike would be.

Really impressed with the day, a lot of effort had obviously been put in to planning it, and making loads of electric bikes available for test rides around the local area.

I met Anthony there, as I had spoken with him on facebook before, and he recalled that I was looking for an alternative to the Oxygen MTB (The Rio wasnt about when we first spoke)

Anthony gave me the tour around the place, 3 floors if I remember correctly - its a bit of a maze filled with some beautiful e-bikes.

I limited what I looked at to my budget of max 2-2.5k, as there were way too many to look at with the couple of hours I had spare.

First test ride was on a Haibike sDuro AllMtn 5.0 2017 Yamaha, a bit above my price range, but with the rear suspension locked, it would be similar to the hardtail Haibike in my price range.

First thing that struck me was how light the thing was! I could pick it up with one hand, and I am no macho man. It takes a lot of effort to lift my stealth up with both hands! Different world.
Riding it was a joy, it took a bit of used to riding with the crank motor, as there is a big drop in power when you change gear which I wasnt expecting. It read in kmh, and power cut out at 27, but was quite pleasant riding just above that speed on the flat, but maybe not much more if you were out heading for work.

The other thing was the build quality. It just oozed quality, and the stopping power of those brakes! Night and day difference to what I am used to. Maybe you do get what you pay for?

I then rode the Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500
Yet again, felt like I was riding a classy BMW instead of a ford fiesta.
It felt very similar to the yamaha Haibike, I honestly couldn't feel much difference in the two. Superb build quality all round again.
This one would cost just under £2000 with a 500w battery, so probably the best one for my budget.

I also rode a Scott bike, Im not sure which one it was, more of a road bike than mountain bike. Just to compare a higher price level. I preferred the other 2 over this one. It just felt nicer to ride all round.

So, quality bikes are available at a slighter higher price than I have paid for so far no doubt. The downside....the 15.5 mph cutout. Remember, I am riding my stealth and can hit 20 comfortably before assist cuts out, and I am used to that now. It might be something I will really miss if I go to a restricted bike. Yes, I could get a dongle for the yamaha or bosch I believe, but that will mean no warranty with 50c, which removes the benefit of buying locally.

I like the idea of the lighter bike, the local service that I would get from 50c is a big thing too, especially when my experience so far is posting parts back and forward to an online retailer every couple of months.

Decisions decisions! Thankfully its a month or so away yet.

Big thanks to Anthony and all at 50c, regardless of which way I go in the future, I hope they are a big success as to my knowledge, the NW is missing anyone similar.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
First thing that struck me was how light the thing was! I could pick it up with one hand, and I am no macho man. It takes a lot of effort to lift my stealth up with both hands! Different world.
your motor weighs about 7kgs, the Bosch motor weighs half that. The Bosch battery is also lighter and the mechanical bike also lighter.
I used to live in Sale when I run our shop at No 5 Tib Lane in Manchester City Centre. Loved the area, so green in comparison to Southend.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
your motor weighs about 7kgs, the Bosch motor weighs half that. The Bosch battery is also lighter and the mechanical bike also lighter.
I used to live in Sale when I run our shop at No 5 Tib Lane in Manchester City Centre. Loved the area, so green in comparison to Southend.
If you compare the online specs for the Cube and the stealth, the cube weighs 20.9, the stealth 24kg....something doesnt seem right there. I know i have added mudguards and a rack to my bike, but it feels a darn sight more than 3 kg heavier than the cube...Id say there is a good 10kg difference....

Lots of nice pubs around there..shame you moved, would be able to test ride yours then ;)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want a dongle then just get the bad ass one and tell no one that you have it as a dealer cant tell if one has been used or not not even bosch can thus why ebike shop sells dongles and honers the warranty.

tho you could just buy it from ebike shop with dongle and warranty ;)

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
tho you could just buy it from ebike shop with dongle and warranty
that Cube stereo hybrid 140 hpa race 500 costs 3,200 smackers new and without the dongle. AB only wants to spend £2k max. He should ask his wife for his early Xmas present.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got my bike off ebay for £3500 so saved 2k on the rrp with only 160 miles on it ;)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
that Cube stereo hybrid 140 hpa race 500 costs 3,200 smackers new and without the dongle. AB only wants to spend £2k max.

I guess Im not enough of a bike geek to understand why that should cost 1200 more than the one I tried...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess Im not enough of a bike geek to understand why that should cost 1200 more than the one I tried...
The Cube Reaction 500 you tried is perfectly good for what you wanted to do, with or without dongle, but for about the same amount of money, the second hand Cube Stereo is more pleasant to ride and probably have the same depreciation as a brand new Cube Reaction.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
How do the parts on the cube compare with the Rio? Particularly the brakes

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How do the parts on the cube compare with the Rio? Particularly the brakes
Brakes: both are hydraulic brakes but the brakes on the Rio cost me twice the price of the Shimano BRM315 on the Cube because the Rio needs sensored brakes while the Cube doesn't.
The derailleur on the Cube is slicker, being Deore. With CD bikes, you need to be in the right gear so you need slick derailleur to minimize shifting time.
The Rio's derailleur is Acera M360. You hardly need changing gear with a powerful geared hub motor, so from the point of view of lifespan or maintenance, Acera on hub bikes is OK.
The crankset on the Cube is Isis system, on the Rio GXP. Both are about same on torsion stiffness.
The fork on the Cube Reaction is SR Suntour XCR32 RL-R, 100mm, mid entry level, 2.250g. The Rio's fork is RST Omega TNL, 100mm, mid entry level, 2.260g. About same quality and cost.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it was just to show you the low end vs the hi end, if you want 400 quid brakes then it will be on a 5k plus bike ;)

tho if you look on ebay for last years model and can fit them then there are bargains to be had ;)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
both are hydraulic brakes but the brakes on the Rio cost me twice the price of the Shimano BRM315 on the Cube because the Rio needs sensored brakes while the Cube doesn't.
I guess any hydraulic brakes will be better than those on mine.
Im going to try and get my bike on some scales....im still amazed at the weight difference, jsut watched a video back I took while out on them and picked it off the floor with one hand and the cam in the other

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine stock is 21.1kg tho if you go carbon you only save about just over 2kg.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess any hydraulic brakes will be better than those on mine.
with HDB, you get consistency in braking performance and user friendliness that you don't get with cable operated brakes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk