a bike stolen every 71seconds

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Mike,

here in Cambridge 2,917 bikes were stolen in 2005 and fell to 2,406 in 2006 (down 17.5%). This was due to a Police crackdown.

Cambridge is apparently the third worst spot in the country for bike thefts.

Get those bikes locked up folks!

cheers
Russ.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
I saw some 'yewts' inspecting my bike (Torq) at the shops today. Luckily I got back to it in time as I think they we're seriously considering taking it!

Need to wire it up to the mains where I leave it :D

thanks

Jed

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Places like Central London and Cambridge are "hot spots" simply due to the large numbers of bicycles there, the risk in percentage terms is probably just as great in most other places.:(

I'm seriously considering some kind of alarm for my bikes, a 12V siren on a 36V battery should seriously damage the hearing of anyone who tampers.:D

I would wire it to the mains but we all know where the sympathy would go if a thief got electrocuted.:rolleyes:

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
the mobility scooters have a buzzer that sounds if you wheel them without the key turned on, change that for a siren perhaps a police one, or a recorded voice shouting ime being stolen.
mike:D

Steve499

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2007
stolen bikes

Having any of my bikes stolen worries me a lot. A team of cycle thieves were caught operating in Central London a few weeks ago, they had master keys for most of the heavy duty cycle locks. I use a d lock and a heavy duty chain with a good padlock, its such a shame that you have to add all this extra weight just in order to stop thieves.
The other things to do is to register your bike with the police, I will try and find the web address, its a register that you can add items free of charge. Also post code the bike either by stamping your post code or using a UV marker pen, (but do it where it can't get rubbed off) you need the post code, plus the number of your house.
With the amount of bikes getting stolen its about time the Police did a bit more to stop it. When was the last time you heard of bike raids or people being stopped and the bike being checked?

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Steve
its such a shame that you have to add all this extra weight just in order to stop thieves.
as i have said we carry 6kg of security and that may not be enough, the old way of making your bike harder to steal than the one next to it wont allways work with ebikes, the nearest ebike may be 50miles away.
mike

penguin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2007
Best to bypass the electric fence Grandad, we have a duty of care, even to thieves!:)

Having been victim to theft, it is tempting, though!

I really did toy with the idea of putting a small sign to the effect of "Dear Thief, please bear in mind that if you steal this bicycle you will find that you will need to pay £250 as it only works with one type of battery charger. If I were you, I wouldn't bother- it is more hassle than it is worth." on my bike!:)

The villainous swines.

Anyway, hopefully, having upgraded to a Magnum Plus lock (SoldSecure gold approved, insured up to £1200) this will be less of a danger.

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Insurance

Hi,
Has anyone any experience of theft insurance for an electric bike?

Charlie.

Ops. Just seen the seperate thread on insurance, so please ignore.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi,
Has anyone any experience of theft insurance for an electric bike?

Charlie.
Hi Charlie,

there is a product called Cycleguard (link in the advertisers box on the right) and they cover electric bikes. Cover is approx 10% of the bike's value so you will need to decide if you feel it offers good value or not.

cheers
Russ