Accessory and Apparel Recommendations

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Question, does anyone use/plan to use those over-shoe thingies that they have on Wiggle? I was looking at the Altura Night Vision Overshoe that are advertised as :-

'The ideal commuter’s overshoe, the waterproof, windproof and breathable night vision is loaded up with reflectivity for maximum low light visibility from all angles'.

Does anyone have any experience at all of these things or anything similar. Can you wear normal/non-cycling shoes and still be effective, or is this a non-starter?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never used cycling shoes in a lifetime of cycling John, my riding has always been for utility and pleasure purposes and I've never togged up specifically for cycling, I like to arrive looking like a pedestrian.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
I have used overshoes in the past and they worked very well. Just make sure your waterproof trousers are long enough so the water doesn't drip down the inside.

thanks
Jed

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
John,

one thing I like about cycling shoes is that many of them are suitable for pedals that they can clip into e.g. SPD. The benefit being you can pull the pedal up as well as push down.

Question, does anyone use/plan to use those over-shoe thingies that they have on Wiggle? I was looking at the Altura Night Vision Overshoe that are advertised as :-

'The ideal commuter’s overshoe, the waterproof, windproof and breathable night vision is loaded up with reflectivity for maximum low light visibility from all angles'.

Does anyone have any experience at all of these things or anything similar. Can you wear normal/non-cycling shoes and still be effective, or is this a non-starter?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
That makes sense, Ive never used cycling shoes, do they make a difference? The last I have ever seen was those toe grip thingies on racers that you strap one foot in and then flick over with the other.

Seen many a person fall over unable to get their foot out, that doesnt happen with cycling shoes does it?

John

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Usually it happens once :)

The shoes I use, you give a small twist with your foot and the clip comes free. You can adjust the spring to make it as loose or tight as you like.

They do enable you to put a little more effort in as in effect, as while one foot is pushing down on the pedal, the other is pulling up. You also get a slightly better range in the push movement.

That makes sense, Ive never used cycling shoes, do they make a difference? The last I have ever seen was those toe grip thingies on racers that you strap one foot in and then flick over with the other.

Seen many a person fall over unable to get their foot out, that doesnt happen with cycling shoes does it?

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Lights on Electric Bikes

Has anyone managed to attach or replace lights attached to the main battery rather than a dynamo or separate battery? Specifically I am wondering is it possible to attach the Lumotec/DLumotec lights to the power on say, a Torq?

Anyone tried it?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Difficult John, you'd need to find a dc power converter with sufficient current handling capacity to drop the 36 volts to the lumotec voltage, whatever that is. I don't know of a stock item for that.

The LED lights fitted to current eZee bikes like the Torq have voltage dropping arrangements within the LED casings, probably resistors.

Jonathan1

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Running front light off 24V battery.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has managed to use lights from 24V or 36V. There are a few bulbs around that are 24V and low wattage. I think LED is fine for rear, but I need to see where I am going for part of my journey, so would like to run say 5W or 10W halogen light of 24V battery. ....... Is there a possibility of a standalone motorcycle light, with 24V bulb, or 2 lights in series (seems extreme) ?..............Jonathan.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Trucks use 24 volt systems Jonathan, so bulb availablity is no problem. Their headlight bulbs would be too powerful and eat the battery, but maybe the indicator bulbs might do, though consumption would still be high and they're not halogen.

Nothing wrong with running two 12 volt in series, but again using car/motorcycle headlight bulbs would consume far too much current, and the socket type could be a problem.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
Oops I just started a new thread. John, I have just bought a Light and motion Arc light which is very bright.

thanks
Jed

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Russell, a couple of questions on your post

My commute is to a formal office and so I am looking for a good waterproof rear rack bag and panniers for my office wear, and a waterproof rucksack/backpack for the laptop, key to all being waterproof, any suggestions?

Waterproofs: On most cycling forums you'll hear people tell you it's not possible to wear waterproof gear and not arrive at work wet from the sweat. As an electric biker you'll find this is not the case. I've been using an eVent jacket and trousers in the bad weather and have always arrived at my destination bone dry.

Looking at the eVent gear website, it seems the only size that will fit my 46" chest and 40" waist is the sizes for the 6'5" - 7' tall people, which might look silly on my 5'11" frame. Are they that specifically sized?

Feet: Diadora Chili Zero's for the shoes. I've changed my pedals to Shimano SPD which the shoes are compatible with.
SealSkinz waterproof socks​
Are those sealskins good?

Head: Standard cycling helmet. Nike full-face balaclava and 180s ear muffs for the really cold days

Dont you get a wet head in the rain through the holes in the hat (why dont they have hats without holes)?

Thanks

John

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi John,

I use Ortlieb back roller panniers. They cost me about £60 for the pair from Wiggle with a discount code I had a few months back. Prior to these I had some Halfords 'specials' and they fell apart within 12 months. From what I've read about Ortlieb they are practically indestructible and waterproof.

My eVent gear is by Pearl Izumi. The range I bought is discontinued now unfortunately. I would definitely pay a visit to some local bike shops to try out some clothing. It's just impossible to go by online measurements only.

The Sealskinz are great in the winter. They are quite warm and keep your feet dry as long as the rain doesn't get in the top obviously ;). Just don't accidentally put them in a tumble dryer or they'll end up looking like a pack of crinkled crisps!

As for a wet head, my eVent jacket has a hood that fits over the top of a cycle helmet with a sturdy cap at the front.

Some cycling helmets come with an elastic rain cover to go over the top.

cheers
Russ.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thread revival! :D Here's my list - some stuff already recommended by others (thanks to Russ for the tips on SPD pedals and marathon plus tyres & sizing for the Torq, Ian for the BG comfort grips and flecc, Pete & others for the rigid seatpost & sizing tips) but some of my own too... :)

Clothing

Base & Mid Layer: I second Russ's recommendation for merino wool: its great stuff, bit pricey, but well worth it. I wear mine all the time now! I got a Mondo zip, it has long sleeves & zip-neck, and full length 'leggings', both from the Icebreaker bodyfit 200 range for cool/cold to average/warm conditions. I'm going to get a thinner top too for warmer weather, and as an extra layer in the very cold. Got mine in snow & rock who stock an extensive choice from the range - they even do glove liners - and they offer a like-for-like 'price beat' policy :).

Trousers (water repellent): Arc'teryx Gamma LT trousers (hiking/climbing, from Snow&Rock) - a bit pricey (but less than their jackets ;)) but very comfortable, lightweight and flexible (stretchy), well-placed zip pockets (2 front, 1 thigh) and practical - they have a highly water repellent finish, similar to 'DWR' (Durable Water Repellent) of some other 'soft-shell' walking/climbing trousers. Water just beads up & runs off!

Wind & Waterproof jacket: Protective Victoria jacket- lightweight, well-designed & well-made, waterproof cycling jacket, minimalist look, but still has a handy front 'chest' pocket and a large pocket and rain protected air vents on the back, a light polyester 'mesh' lining and nice snug-fitting chamois lined collar.

EDIT: The breathability seems not as good as some other jackets, and I have now returned it (& got a windproof/water-repellant instead for now). EVent waterproofs are probably more breathable and if I were to get a waterproof I'd try something like an endura superlite, with entrant 2.5 DT layer proofing - almost as breathable as eVent, but cheaper. No mesh lining needed either.

Windproof & Water-repellant jacket:
Specialized windjacket - very light (132g, ~4.6oz), a good stretch fit, wind & water repellant, handy outer layer.

Footwear: Specialized 'Body Geometry' Taho (also more info here) - SPD shoes. Not sure how waterproof they are (real leather & synthetics upper), but they're fairly comfortable to walk in too, especially compared to some of the Shimano MT range I also tried on.

Equipment (Torq)

Pedals: I also recommend the Shimano PD-M324 same as Russ: a great 'starter' SPD pedal, they are dual-use - they have an SPD clip on one side, but a 'normal' pedal on the other, so can be used with either SPD or normal shoes. Also, they come with 'multiple release' cleats (SM-SH56) which can be set up to be very easy to unclip, so much less risk of falling over sideways :eek: :) - they release very easily with any twisting motion, and have already passed my first 'panic' test!

Rackbag: Altura Arran Transit Drop Down Rackpack '07 practical & flexible rear storage, with fold out 'mini-pannier' pockets, good quality build, fits well & securely on Ezee rear rack & quite quick & easy to remove/replace. High vis reflective strip on back. Good value.

Handlebar Grips: Specialized BG (Body Geometry) II grips - ergonomic & good shock absorption, especially recommended for the Torq (requires throttle mod).

Seatpost: A 25.6mm diameter rigid seatpost is a better fit than the 25.4mm suspension original, and provides a more constant ride position for pedalling.

Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus, 700x38C 622-40 on a Torq, nice smooth ride with low rolling resistance, similar pneumatic cushioning to the Kenda original tyres and very high puncture protection :).

Stuart.

Last edited:

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
As an alternative Rackbag on the Torq, try the Creek2Peak 30 litre Explorer Bag. This is a good size for carrying a spare battery if you can live with the weight being on top of the carrier, rather than in a pannier.

The Ortlieb Back Roller pannier bags can still be clipped onto each side of the carrier with the rackbag in place, but it is a bit of a squeeze.

James