Accident

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006

I went to the park yesterday on my new Quando 2, my daughter wanted to test out her new her Heelys too while there wasn't too many people out and about, so we set out and stayed on the pathways, i switched my Quando onto e bike mode twisted the throttle until I neared a large metal gate i squeezed the brake but nothing happened..I heard a slight ping noise and squeezed harder but the brake wouldn't work I turned the handle bars and came of the bike just before the gate and landed on the gravel, hurting my left side, and grazing my right hand ... I quickly got up as to not worry my daughter, and took a look at the bike, before I wheeled it home, the front light is facing downwards, the small wires are exposed which looks like the light wires, i tried squeezing the right brake but its just loose and doesn't stop the front wheel... I tried fixing the brake lead to the cycle cable but it just slips through, I cant sturdy it... I am glad I was in the park and not on a road. I thought this would be a good area to test my electric bike (Tonbridge) as its nice and flat, and I wanted to see what kind of range I would get .. I hope this isnt as bad as it looks, ive only had it 2 weeks :(

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Oh dear, that doesn;t sound good, glad to hear you're still alive! I assume the bike is still under warranty so don't forget to contact the manufacturer before you get it fixed.

I went to the park yesterday on my new Quando 2, my daughter wanted to test out her new her Heelys too while there wasn't too many people out and about, so we set out and stayed on the pathways, i switched my Quando onto e bike mode twisted the throttle until I neared a large metal gate i squeezed the brake but nothing happened..I heard a slight ping noise and squeezed harder but the brake wouldn't work I turned the handle bars and came of the bike just before the gate and landed on the gravel, hurting my left side, and grazing my right hand ... I quickly got up as to not worry my daughter, and took a look at the bike, before I wheeled it home, the front light is facing downwards, the small wires are exposed which looks like the light wires, i tried squeezing the right brake but its just loose and doesn't stop the front wheel... I tried fixing the brake lead to the cycle cable but it just slips through, I cant sturdy it... I am glad I was in the park and not on a road. I thought this would be a good area to test my electric bike (Tonbridge) as its nice and flat, and I wanted to see what kind of range I would get .. I hope this isnt as bad as it looks, ive only had it 2 weeks :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of the accident Gaynor, but shows you were wise to practice in the park first to gain confidence.

It's best to turn down the throttle and be ready to use the back brake as well or instead, despite the fitted cutouts, as that should have stopped you ok.

You say the front brake is loose, but can you say how? Looking at the brake at the top of the front wheel, is it the cable hanging loose, or the brake pads flopping around, or a brake arm adrift?

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
aaaarrgh... no brakes

Youch.. Gaynor,
sorry to hear about your prang

..I heard a slight ping noise and squeezed harder but the brake wouldn't work I turned the handle bars and came of the bike just before the gate and landed on the gravel, hurting my left side, and grazing my right hand ... I quickly got up as to not worry my daughter, and took a look at the bike, .. I hope this isnt as bad as it looks, ive only had it 2 weeks :(
hope you're on the mend, the ping sounds like the cable snapped, do you always use your front brake ? i've had front brakes fail and try to remember to use a little bit of both brakes now, wouldn't have thought it would be too serious to fix, wise of you to try it in the park first, hope you will have better luck in the New Year,

beeps

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Gaynor,

hope you're on the mend! Agree with the above sentiments, I always release the throttle when I am about to brake and always use both brakes together.

You might want to wheel your bike to your local bike shop and get them to look at the brakes for you. I'm a bit useless at setting up brakes correctly and my LBS did mine for a couple of quid and afterwards they were perfect!

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
It's best to turn down the throttle and be ready to use the back brake as well or instead, despite the fitted cutouts, as that should have stopped you ok.

Yes, I have been told i should get used to the back brakes instead... I use the right brakes automatically... also with the left brake i find the gap a little wider...the right feels more comfortable , more reachable, do you use the left hand brakes on yours?

You say the front brake is loose, but can you say how? Looking at the brake at the top of the front wheel, is it the cable hanging loose, or the brake pads flopping around, or a brake arm adrift?
At the top of the nearside brake cantilever there is a thin metal bracketed lever about 30mm long bearing the trademark of 'Tektro'. This housing has 'opened up' with the result that the flanged nut on the brake cable slips right through this instead of being held in place under tension as it should be.

I have tried reclosing the end of this housing but it opens up again when the brake is applied. It appears to me that the part suffers from an inherent weakness and will need to be replaced

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's very unusual Gaynor, that's certainly weaker than it should be. I think you mean the o/s though (right hand). This is a fault that you must speak to 50cycles about. That pressed steel link is rivetted on so the R/H brake arm complete will need to be replaced, and the outer cable termination will need to be checked to make sure it's termination is correctly sized.

On which brake to use, I normally use the front brake on the Quando to minimise rim wear on the motor wheel at the rear, but always throttle off and am ready to use the rear brake as well for emergency situations. I think you'll find that rolling off the throttle makes the left lever more reachable as the hand moves forward.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You've got the newer Tektro brakes Gaynor, that probably accounts for the reach difference. Mine has the former Diacompe types.

These brakes are in no way special to electric bikes, they are just ordinary bicycle V brakes and any cycle shop will be familiar with them.

However, you should let 50cycles have first option to do something about this before any bike shop touches it, since both they and eZee will be very concerned at any failure in braking and anxious to fully satisfy themselves of the cause.

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
However, you should let 50cycles have first option to do something about this before any bike shop touches it, since both they and eZee will be very concerned at any failure in braking and anxious to fully satisfy themselves of the cause.
Having worked for a car manufacturer in the past I think this is an excellent idea. If there was some sort of manufacturing or assembly fault which caused this problem (and I hasten to add I have nothing to say this is the case), then they may also need to issue a recall to all similarly affected bikes to prevent any chance of this happening with other owners. I'd be interested to know how much they "bend over backwards" to minimise any incoinveinience the owner may experience while this is being collected, inspected and rectified.