Adding a Tongseng tsdz2 to a Carrera Subway

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Subway 2 and adding the tsdz2 to it. I was talking it over with the mechanic in Halfords and he wondered if it was safe due to the quick release rear wheel. None of the other ebikes in the shop had this type of wheel, Is there any reason why this is a problem or is he just being over cautious?

It does feel a little dumb to buy a new bike and throw a lot of components away but I am keen to have hydraulic brakes and can't find a sensible second hand bike

Thanks for any help

D

Deleted member 4366

A QR wheel is no problem.

If you're going to use it on the road, a hub-motor might be a better solution as they're generally more reliable and give a better ride, though it depends what you want.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Subway 2 and adding the tsdz2 to it. I was talking it over with the mechanic in Halfords and he wondered if it was safe due to the quick release rear wheel. None of the other ebikes in the shop had this type of wheel, Is there any reason why this is a problem or is he just being over cautious?

It does feel a little dumb to buy a new bike and throw a lot of components away but I am keen to have hydraulic brakes and can't find a sensible second hand bike

Thanks for any help
Wow! Does he have a degree in engineering? ;)

Now the quick release on one of the wheels of my stupid silly cheap Chinese trailer did pop off the other day on the way to recycling on a corrugated section of road mind you but on the bike 2000 km trouble free :)

My bike has a the cheapest Taylor wheels 700C x 23 wheel with the quick release it was delivered with because when it came out of the skip the rear wheel was knackered... :rolleyes:

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
last bought subway one from Halfords and fitted 250w tdz2
on the subway one the rear gear change cable and rear brake cable run on the underside of the front tube.
you will lose the triple front chainring as the tdz has a single 42t chainring

there is no room for any cables on the underside of downtube with the moter fitted so had to rerouterear gear cable, (I fitted hydraulic rear brake to replace mech one)

the front chainring is slight inboard and does not line up exactly with the rear freewheel
the tdz2 is a TORQUE system with 4 levels of assist eco/tour/sport /turbo
and I find you have to put a bit off effort in
I also tried Halfords carrerra/Vulcan ebikes last easter and found having front suspention smoother than my subway one...

I have just purchased new 17ah dolphin battery and with tdz2 at 16amps sport mode about 35miles range.
no problems with rear wheel 2500 miles covered.
as d8veh suggests rear hub would be cheaper option and you could retain triple chainring.

hope this helps

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I already have a TDZS2 which I am happy with so which I am going to swop this over to the subway. I am only really doing this to get hydraulic disk brakes. I will have to re-route the gear cable but luckily the brake pipe is routed along the crossbar so can stay in place.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
my kudos vita uno and subway one had mechanical disk brakes but they are a pain as they always need adjusting my area is hilly so brakes get used a lot.
I bought a pair of shimano hydraulic brakes of e bay £40 I think from memory 355 or 350
nice easy fit undo 2 bolts and replace with hydrolic, I fitted front hydr to vita uno, rear hydro to subway no need to bleed anything