Help! Advice on converting a tricycle

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi all

I have been looking at getting a trike for my 11 year old daughter. She has cerebral palsy, and doesn't have the strength in her legs to ride a normal bike, or the balance to ride two wheels.
So, my idea is to get a sturdy tricycle to solve the balance problem. To get round the leg strength, im thinking of converting to an ebike while she builds up her leg muscles.

Ive been scouring the web for answers as to what kit is needed, and ended up confused.

So if anyone could point me to an all in one kit that would do the job, that would be appreciated.

Here's is the tricycle I am considering, with 20" wheels as I think that would be the best size for her.

Various sizes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
UK age for riding an e-trike is 14.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A front hub would be simplest for a bike like that, and I don't think the handling and slipping issues that can be a downside of a front hub will be significant in this case.

I'd probably suggest a Woosh XF07; https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits
I'm sure Woosh will advise on details such as the best way to fit a battery etc.
(I see it now comes in 20" rim that I thought might be an issue).

You almost certainly want a cadence sensor that just detects that legs are turning the pedals but don't require any effort in the turning. Torque sensors have several advantages, but always require significant work from the rider.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
still 14.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
still 14.
Oh well, just another example of the ridiculous laws in this country.
A quick google says that there are two classes of mobility scooter. For a class 2 scooter, no age restrictions, but they only go up to 4mph. Kind of defeats the objective we are trying to achieve.

Oh well, never mind.
Cheers for the tips.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
I would prefer to see a youngster enjoy themselves on a powered trike rather then be worried about an age limit.
At 11 and on a trike she's not likely to be doing 30mph down the High Street.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
high quality trikes are expensive and heavy. You need at least a differential on the rear wheels to turn safely at any speed more than about 8mph. You need to limit also the top speed.
You may also need a reversing function.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I would prefer to see a youngster enjoy themselves on a powered trike rather then be worried about an age limit.
At 11 and on a trike she's not likely to be doing 30mph down the High Street.
Thats exactly the point.

Without boring everyone to tears with the long story, she had a 9 hour operation a couple of years ago on her legs and hips to try and correct her posture/walking etc. She was living with her mum at the time.

It went well, but due to problems with rehab she is now back almost to the point physically before the op. The rehab was a failure on her mums part, and she is now living with me since Christmas following legal proceedings, and things are very different for her.

She has been offered a second op (albeit could be a long time off now), but is against the idea because she went through a lot of pain for nothing in her eyes. I am trying to encourage her as much as I can to get more mobile and saw the cycling bit as part of that. She has a twin sister who can do all the normal stuff and I know she would love to be able to do the same.

If she could build herself up by using the etrike, I am hopeful that she could see that there is a better future for her if she goes through the pain of the op again, but gets the proper support.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Delta trikes are notoriously difficult to corner and remain upright, I would hate to think of an already delicate person ending up in the hedge. Think I'd be looking at a tadpole trike.
They're inherently far more stable and give more full body support. Body position also means that the legs are used in a different way, I believe that the thighs are used as well as calf muscles. They are expensive (as are all trikes) but you may be able to get one on Fleabay. With this type (depending on gear type) a rear wheel conversion should be relatively easy.
As to the age limitation - I'd say restrict the speed to 10 or 12 mph (especially at first) and play it by ear, she#ll be 14 before you know it. It's gonna take some sort of hard hearted pedantic S.O.A.B to prosecute given the circumstances.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
If a kit had a 4mph limiter now, then it'd satisfy the regs for 3yrs. Then dealer could take the limit off. Some kits already have a walking speed throttle feature!

There are elec assist kits for wheelchairs, but don't know where & probably v.expensive.
Useful safety item would be a centrifugal speed drag brake, to stop rider getting carried away, esp downhill.
Mission Cycles used to do special needs trikes: https://missioncycles.co.uk/special-needs/
This site stocks both
Good luck

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks all for the help and info, some things there for me to look into.

Its something just to get more mobile, and do some things that her sister can do, while at the same time helping her strengthen her legs muscles over time. She could just go down the route of mobility scooters, but thats giving up really, where using an ebike, she has to make some effort.

Ill keep the thread updated

Reactions: Tarka

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A tadpole trike may be better though they ain't cheap, much more stability though.

Hammer

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2020
A tadpole trike may be better though they ain't cheap, much more stability though.
The problem with Tadpole trike is you need to be physically able to get in and out the low height which makes them stable also makes them unsuitable. My friend works with kids with CP have you looked into conductive education, I have seen some great results

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
conductive education
I hadnt heard of that until you just mentioned it. I will have a look. She doesnt have any learning difficulties its just physically where she struggles. In some ways, she is quite lucky as she could have had a lot more problems than she has. Small mercies and all that.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Having converted a few trikes my thought's are
Buy cheap a normal tricycle with 20 or 26 inch wheels if possible with a folding point in the middle [aids storage/ transport ]
Carry out a front wheel conversion with a basic cheaper kit, but with a controller and display that allows the speed limit to be be decreased or a walking mode ,the high top speed is a major problem with off the shelf trikes
Avoid a mid drive as will require a rear diff and a higher initial outlay
Will be happy to help/ advice if needed

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks everyone for the advice and help, much appreciated.

Today my daughter became the proud owner of her first bike......courtesy of @Oxygen Electric Bikes

They sold me a fantastic e-trike which after lots of measuring inside legs and bike components, fits just nicely, and will give her plenty of room for growth as she hits her teens!

She has had her first run out on it, and did amazingly well since its really her first ever bike ride of any note.

Cant thank Oxygen enough for their help with this, even delivered to my door the day after we agreed the deal, observing social distancing of course.

I now have one very happy daughter, with a bit of motivation to get moving!

IMG_20200421_160230.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well done Oxygen.