Help! Advice Please -What to get for Carrera Kraken Rear Wheel Build 48v/54v? 1000w/1500w?? 13/18/20Ah???

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Hi All

No done a build for years (i think 10 years ago with a rear geared Bafang motor) and i'm amazed how much things have progressed and the kit now available!

I have a Carrera Kraken 27.5" latest model/Hydraulic brakes and i'm looking to for rear wheel conversion with a 1500w controller/rear motor.

Not sure on battery size 48v or 54v, i'm leaning towards a bigger 54v/1500w after having a 36v, 44v self build (Hobby Batteries) and using a Chinese 48v/13Ah (Cyclotricity).

I also like the look of the KT LCD8 'vertical' colour controller, are they any good? I also will be using a thumb throttle, a brake sensor switch (i see they now have simple magnetic ones that attach/stick to the lever, when i did my first build i had to order an inline pressure switch from Germany plus swap the brakes out as they only would fit Shimano).

I have looked here but they are standard KT LCD3 -https://www.g-volt.net/new-page

I'm quite handy with a soldering iron etc (I will have to purchase another after lending mine out...lol) and will be posting pics of the build here for everyone and hope it can help others.

Any advice on where to start, not sure what i have missed tbh, but i want this build done correct and like the way Cyclotricity have their controller in a waterproof box, plus their looms are plug/play/waterproof but i can 'make' whatever i need tbh with help/advice.

EDIT -I will probably fit PAS if kit comes with it but not overly concerned.

Cheers

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Little update.

Been googling LCDs and came across this pre wired loom (looks like the Cyclotricity.

Anyone else used this?

Can I get every other part to fit it like the controller. Break sensor. Throttle etc?

Im presuming the ‘WP’ I have seen after listed items means they are the colour coded ‘Water Proof’ pin type push fit connections?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
What happened to this site!!

It's now DEAD!!! :(:(
Plenty of advice is dished out here, and often very quickly. But generally the higher the motor power, the less abundant the help.

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
So there’s not much support for off-road bikes then.

I think I will start another thread as I have ditched this idea.
I’ve actually had my very first build I done on here with Haley from DaveHand Nial/Neil. ( unsure if the usernames tbh)

its come back to me in a very poor state with broken spokes etc do needs a strip down/rebuild.

I still have all the chargers,self made balancer, the six 22v/5000mAh batteries and other stuff that I never used!!
I also have a Kalkhoff Endeavour thst I purchased from 50 Cycles that is sat there with less than 70 miles that I never use gathering dust that I don’t use. Elild this be worth anything, I have every receipt £ (£2500)/part /manual the indicators all brand new!

it just needs a new LCD display although u can set the assist level by touching together going to the button. Control.
Rhsnks for replying guys ad this Forum helped me immensely 9 or 19 years ago when everything was much harder and more DIY.
Leace a message it drop me a Pm if your interested in any gear I have as it’s not used and a waste to leave it gathering dust.

Cheers

Leighton

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For offroading, you don't want a heavy motor nor heavy battery.
I would suggest a high torque 48V 14A 250W BBS01 bottom bracket motor with a small bag battery (48V 10AH 2kg) fitted to the downtube or under the saddle. The gearing on a sports bike will do the rest.
I will have such a kit in stock end of October.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
For offroading, you don't want a heavy motor nor heavy battery.
I would suggest a high torque 48V 14A 250W BBS01 bottom bracket motor with a small bag battery (48V 10AH 2kg) fitted to the downtube or under the saddle. The gearing on a sports bike will do the rest.
I will have such a kit in stock end of October.
And the advantage of such a bike would be that you could actually ride it to the off-road area, rather than having to take it in a van or heave it onto a carrier to drive there.

There would also be very many more places you could ride it 'off-road' as you would be allowed to use public land and\or tracks. No need to restrict the 'off-road' to priveatly owned land.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There are very few places off road you can legally ride a bike over 250w nominal. You cannot ride it anywhere there is general public access. Bridleways, cycle paths, canal paths etc are all out. That just leaves private land with no public access (and landowner's permission).

On road you can ride something more powerful(speed pedelec) as long as properly registered, insured etc; but not public off-road.

The good news is that there are plenty of legal options for off-road (as Woosh pointed out above).

Reactions: Wheelie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That’s what I want to build, an electric bike I can pedal off-road.
You are misunderstanding what a pedelec is !!!
Pedelec or EPAC , a bicycle with a motor rated at 250w continuous, no throttle and < 48v nominal battery.
What you want is 1500w moped spec'd bike.

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
There are very few places off road you can legally ride a bike over 250w nominal. You cannot ride it anywhere there is general public access. Bridleways, cycle paths, canal paths etc are all out. That just leaves private land with no public access (and landowner's permission).

On road you can ride something more powerful(speed pedelec) as long as properly registered, insured etc; but not public off-road.

The good news is that there are plenty of legal options for off-road (as Woosh pointed out above).
You are misunderstanding what a pedelec is !!!
Pedelec or EPAC , a bicycle with a motor rated at 250w continuous, no throttle and < 48v nominal battery.
What you want is 1500w moped spec'd bike.
My bike i'm repairing is a build from here where i had a lot of help, all gear was from BMS Battery Site, it's 36v/500w, ive managed to find out what spoke i need, 12g/190mm so i have ordered them, i might need a new thread on how to align/true the wheel, it's been used on road/off road since 2013!!

I was just thinking i could upgrade the controller and fit a colour LCD now that would work on my existing 36v and allow me to upgrade when the battery dies.

I already have a mid drive bike and don't like it tbh, it's a Kalkhoff and has had hardly been used so will be up for sale (it does need a new LCD).

I was hoping to upgrade in the future