Advice Please

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hiya,
I have just got a new Montague Navigator And will probably add a Bafang BBS01 250/350w i know it can be done because i saw a one on you tube and anyway it looks a quite simple conversion, even the folding bit should still work. It has a 9 speed cassette and i thought it might help the chain line to drop it to an 8 speed sunrace 11-40T close ratio jobby, can anyone see any problem with that, or maybe you have a better suggestion. I will probably start the conversion after Xmas so any ideas at this stage are welcome so i can mull them over before i start. This is my first NEW bike EVER(but not conversion) so i don't want to rush it this time. What would you do if it was your bike?

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Are 8 speed cassettes not the same width as 9 speed? - if so you wont change the chain line. Indeed moving from 9 to 8 speed is a non trivial task if its indexed (as opposed to friction shifters), new cassette and shifters but chain / chainset should be fine

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Are 8 speed cassettes not the same width as 9 speed? - if so you wont change the chain line. Indeed moving from 9 to 8 speed is a non trivial task if its indexed (as opposed to friction shifters), new cassette and shifters but chain / chainset should be fine
I hope they are the same width, i dont want to mess with spacers. But i thought 8 instead of 9 would move the cogs a bit inwards, anyways i will get a bling ring which works wonders and an 8 speed chain is stronger than a 9 speed chain. As far as shifters go i already have several 8 speed ones and a Tiagra derailleur that is already being used on an 8 speed bike so no problems there.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
fair enough, sounds like you know what you are getting in to, if I recall correctly Shimano 8 speed is maybe 1mm narrower