Aldi 145L "Heavy Duty" Trunk £17.99

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So I got one of these.. But currently have no trailer, my initial plan was to ebay a local kiddy trailer to rob the axel, wheels and tow bar from, having seen similar done in a utube vid some time ago.. Hell i just asked a neighbor who shops at aldi if he sees one and is up for it to pick me one up I didnt expect him to drag his mrs n kids round there specially for me first opportunity, but here we are...
Unfortunately I haven't had time to visit my local Aldi to take measurements of the lower end of that big box (looks like it tapers), to determine whether it can be wedged into the Homcom (linked below), with the front side (or front and back) of the trailer removed. These Homcoms are very good value for money, and lately they've reduced in price. The hitch is a terrible design for heavy weights, but has withstood much abuse. The tyres and inner tubes are cheap rubbish, and last about a year suffering the same heavy abuse. Constructed with strong steel tubing... overall, it's a great inexpensive trailer and the one I use all the time. Weight according to my digital luggage scale is 15.5kg. It might be a smidge heavier now, with Schwalbe Black Jacks. I think the rims can accomodate wider tyres, for suspension. If there a lot of small shopping items, a big white rubble sack tied at the top, secured to the front cage and roped down, keeps everything inside the trailer. I haven't yet needed to add solid sides, but that's easily done.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
What measurements are of interest? i can post pics next to a meter rule if useful?

Thats very good to know about the homcom.. ive put a cheeky ebay £50 bid on one thats come up for auction.. digits crossed..
You never know about hidden features with 2nd use kit,.. i can bite the bullet for a new one if all else fails.. Mention of 'CF XL' had me a googling and finding £6-700 units.. which had me gulping silently like a goldfish for an uncomfortable period.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
homcom.. ive put a cheeky ebay £50 bid on one thats come up for auction.. digits crossed..
You never know about hidden features with 2nd use kit,.. i can bite the bullet for a new one if all else fails..
When looking for a trailer myself, it appeared all such and similar used trailer sellers wanted about £50, but if the used Homcom's hitch is knackered... about the cost of an entire new rust-free Homcom without knackered tyres, with free delivery?

Mention of 'CF XL' had me a googling and finding £6-700 units.. which had me gulping silently like a goldfish for an uncomfortable period.
Yep eye watering, even for goldfish I imagine. @Nealh very kindly alerted me periodically when used CFs cropped up, as they do more often this time of year. I bought a small Y for £90, which maddeningly, wasn't as good as his bargain CF Large Y or XL (can't recall which). But it's not a competition. It's not a competition. Not a competition. Keep an eye on ebay. It's good to be alert, Britain needs lerts.

What measurements are of interest? i can post pics next to a meter rule if useful?
I was going to measure a and b depicted below, 22.5cm up.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motorising a trailer is illegal, one is meant to display reflective triangles but I don't bother. I use more meaningfully a double flag on a bendy pole , lights , normal round reflectors and diamond reflective tape .

Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
When looking for a trailer myself, it appeared all such and similar used trailer sellers wanted about £50, but if the used Homcom's hitch is knackered... about the cost of an entire new rust-free Homcom without knackered tyres, with free delivery?

Yep eye watering, even for goldfish I imagine. @Nealh very kindly alerted me periodically when used CFs cropped up, as they do more often this time of year. I bought a small Y for £90, which maddeningly, wasn't as good as his bargain CF Large Y or XL (can't recall which). But it's not a competition. It's not a competition. Not a competition. Keep an eye on ebay. It's good to be alert, Britain needs lerts.

I was going to measure a and b depicted below, 22.5cm up.

View attachment 54835
Having a late start to the day netflix in bed etc.. Its sunday and chilli outside and i was ebaying in the wee hours,, .. But will measure at some point,

the ebay 2nd use homcom is @75 ish now inc delivery, my low ball bid got swept aside with the sunday morning shoppers.. and at the current bid, its a new one for me i think.. , since ebay is offering £79.99 for a new one..

One Feature of the box is that its mouth is more dynamic than optimal, meaning you need to fit the lid on instead of just dropping it on, too much mass in the wrong position could deform the mouth to the extent the lid will not fit perhaps?
constraint within a cage/box could resolve this?

I have had similar issues with 85cm deep clear plastic storage boxes. just takes a lil longer to close the lid fully..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Having a late start to the day netflix in bed etc.. Its sunday and chilli outside and i was ebaying in the wee hours,, .. But will measure at some point,
No worries, I'm in no hurry. I was considering getting the larger 175L version instead. The only difference between the two appears to be the deeper lid.

ebay is offering £79.99 for a new one..
It's a bit cheaper on Amazon. Every little helps as the advert says - you could buy a big bar of chocolate with the money saved, and I sincerely hope you do:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
No worries, I'm in no hurry. I was considering getting the larger 175L version instead. The only difference between the two appears to be the deeper lid.

It's a bit cheaper on Amazon. Every little helps as the advert says - you could buy a big bar of chocolate with the money saved, and I sincerely hope you do:

Indeed yes, im so tight i squeak, or so ive been told countless times.
and any savings can go towards a 2nd bike hitch attachment so both road bikes are ready to roll with cargo..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both of those box types have no issue with deforming or lid closure, one has the nice yellow clips that fold over and snap in place and the other box the lid simply snaps on .

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
OK length at 22.5cm off the ground wheels in, is just under 83cm, 82.8 by my rule, measured via w 4ft piano clamp suspended at 22.5cm off the ground on old off cuts. the vice jaws were not wide enough to cover the whole curve one end so i eyeballed it in as i wound up the clamp screw. .

Absolutely filthy day as soon as i got the 1 measurement i was heading in, no time for framing a photo, i will remeasure and measure the width when its far less wet.. so take my haste into account..

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
OK length at 22.5cm off the ground wheels in, is just under 83cm, 82.8 by my rule, measured via w 4ft piano clamp suspended at 22.5cm off the ground on old off cuts. the vice jaws were not wide enough to cover the whole curve one end so i eyeballed it in as i wound up the clamp screw. .

Absolutely filthy day as soon as i got the 1 measurement i was heading in, no time for framing a photo, i will remeasure and measure the width when its far less wet.. so take my haste into account..
Thanks! This product looks identical to Aldi's (no L X W X H mentioned by Aldi), and it's lid or top measures "94cm Length / 52cm Width / 45cm Height", so that's some useful tapering. The width available between side cages on my Homcom is 42.5cm. I/we might just be able stuff that or the 175L into the Homcom with the box base resting on the trailer platform, after removing the front cage, or removing both the front and back cages. If not, I suppose I could add a platform to the platform to raise the box base up...

175L: "94 centimeters long, 52 centimeters wide, and 56 centimeters tall "

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Where there is a will there is a way.. could a stiffened ratchet strap be snaked over wheels front and rear? if so then simple chock blocks to keep the wheels stationary while clamped down might work well.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The length of the Homcom platform is 77cm minus a bit for the rear cage (will measure), so might the box wheels hang over the front end, with the front cage removed? That's a measurement I missed depicting.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Price dropped to 71.99
Buy beans with the money saved and eat for a week, sprout them and they'll be more nutricious.

Price dropped to 71.99 and i pulled the trigger
Chuck a load of bin liners over the floor, assemble the Homcom and roll it around over them - the tyres will be completely clean if you decide to return it for a refund. It's a sturdy trailer, but I don't like the design of it's hitch - @jimriley made this for his Ikea trailer to stop the hitch dropping down when towing heavy trailer loads:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/a-trailer-for-ebike-or-non-ebike-towing.42971/page-10#post-688627

give me a week or so and I can post a few in place snaps.
Re: Big Aldi box - If they were ever stocked by my local Aldi, they were gone by the time I eventually got there. I wanted the larger 175L version anyway, which looks identical apart from the lid, therefore I look forward with interest to your findings and photos.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Chuck a load of bin liners over the floor, assemble the Homcom and roll it around over them - the tyres will be completely clean if you decide to return it for a refund. It's a sturdy trailer, but I don't like the design of it's hitch - @jimriley made this for his Ikea trailer to stop the hitch dropping down when towing heavy trailer loads:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/a-trailer-for-ebike-or-non-ebike-towing.42971/page-10#post-688627

I was surprised that, if the axle wasn't really tight, it began to lever itself out of the frame slot. It's ok good and tight.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
And a trailer is here and the big black box is NOT an easy fit, the back/front gate brackets get in the way of the protruding end. IMG220304-001258F.JPG
reversing the side walls so the brackets are on the outside may work? too cold wet n windy to potter about the back yard atm tho
im only heading back out to get things under cover for now,,

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
So not an out of the box fit.. However i think if the side walls are reversed the now on the outside end wall fitting brackets may be employed to tie the front and rear walls back onto the trailer with cableties instead of the supplied pin clips. the box secured by pipe clips round the side wall fastened to the box wall i think.. i will revisit tomorrow and cogitate overnight for now,,

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So not an out of the box fit.. However i think if the side walls are reversed the now on the outside end wall fitting brackets may be employed to tie the front and rear walls back onto the trailer with cableties instead of the supplied pin clips. the box secured by pipe clips round the side wall fastened to the box wall i think.. i will revisit tomorrow and cogitate overnight for now,,
It looks close... If you do manage to fit the box in, so that the wheels hang over the front of the platform, towards the bike, while the end wall is still on: I'd tie down, also tie forwards, over, under, sides, back etc.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/sturdy-%C2%A34-99-aldi-ratchet-tie-down-50mm.46040/

It'd be brilliant if it fits! Neat, securified bigly, waterproof, shiny...

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
When it fits!..:) I have plans with materials at hand to secure, and will gladly share if successful, tho that strap sure looks handy if/when i use the trailer without the box.. certainly a better deal than the 2x bungee cords for a £ from tesco..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When it fits!..:) I have plans with materials at hand to secure, and will gladly share if successful, tho that strap sure looks handy if/when i use the trailer without the box.. certainly a better deal than the 2x bungee cords for a £ from tesco..
I was in time to buy that, haven't used it yet - I also found a massive tie down which had fallen off a lorry... it looked dangerous on the road, so I stopped to put it somewhere safe in my home. Haven't used that either, multiple smaller tie downs are usually sufficient on the Homcom.

Related Articles

Advertisers