Almost joined the 50mph club, 49.28!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you can justifiably claim to be a member Mark. At this very cold time of the year the air density is much greater, offering considerably more resistance. Had that been a hot summer day with correspondingly thinner air you'd no doubt have been doing over 50 mph.

The air density at 10 degrees C is 6.6% greater than at 30 degrees C. A direct calculation on that factor alone credits you with 52.5 mph achieved on a hot day.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd agree with the air density thing, I struggle to manage 40mph now where I'd regularly get 45 in the summer.
Still not managed to get the 50 though, I need a steeper hill.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I hope you all have good frames. Having the frame snap in two the way mine did the other day could be fairly painful if you are touching 50 mph. 14mph was bad enough.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd agree with the air density thing, I struggle to manage 40mph now where I'd regularly get 45 in the summer.
There's also the increased "stiction" of lubricants at low temperatures, possibly sapping some more speed. Dry ball or roller bearings are best for a record attempt.

Mark Loveridge

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2009
I think you can justifiably claim to be a member Mark. At this very cold time of the year the air density is much greater, offering considerably more resistance. Had that been a hot summer day with correspondingly thinner air you'd no doubt have been doing over 50 mph.

The air density at 10 degrees C is 6.6% greater than at 30 degrees C. A direct calculation on that factor alone credits you with 52.5 mph achieved on a hot day.
Thanks Flecc! I knew there was some additional resistance through cold weather, but didn't realise it was that much!

Mark Loveridge

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2009
Mussels, your always welcome to Gloucestershire, I can show you a big hill!!

Mark Loveridge

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2009
I hope you all have good frames. Having the frame snap in two the way mine did the other day could be fairly painful if you are touching 50 mph. 14mph was bad enough.
Hi Tangent, I keep an eye on it, only been out on it a few times. I did fall off at about 20 after my front end washed out on a leaf, that hurt! But thankfully the bike is ok as I had clippy pedals and so I broke its fall!! I don't think it hit the tarmac!

Hope Giant get you a new frame soon!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've never seen anyone riding fast on a step through, I'm not sure I'd feel safe like that.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Mark, I hope your are not always so harsh on yourself! wear the 50mph badge with pride:)

Me......Self preservation kicks in, and brakes are cautiously applied:p

Mark Loveridge

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2009
Mark, I hope your are not always so harsh on yourself! wear the 50mph badge with pride:)

Me......Self preservation kicks in, and brakes are cautiously applied:p
Cheers Eddie- I didn't realise I was going so fast until I looked at the cycle meter when I stopped!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

When I had my little spill I was doing 46.1 mph. Now, as I was only HALF way down the hill does that me that I also qualify (applying the maths 2 * 46.1 = 92.2 mph! ) and it was cold! ..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I had my little spill I was doing 46.1 mph. Now, as I was only HALF way down the hill does that me that I also qualify (applying the maths 2 * 46.1 = 92.2 mph! ) and it was cold! ..
I'm afraid that 46.1 mph was your terminal velocity, in more senses than one! :)

Hurricane

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2010
Perthshire
So how many members are in the +50mph exclusive club then?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid we don't know, it's informal with new claims made from time to time. I'd guess about 8 to 10 have posted achieving it so far, that's out of over 4800 members so quite exclusive!

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
...or quite insane... :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid we don't know, it's informal with new claims made from time to time. I'd guess about 8 to 10 have posted achieving it so far, that's out of over 4800 members so quite exclusive!
There could be a lot more of course, since only the survivors report the successful result!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hmm this now seems like a challenge.
I don't have the gearing or the hills though...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the right hill that's needed, steep enough, smooth enough and long enough, with no side roads entering or other sources of sudden nasty surprises at 50 mph. Ideally clear open land width on both sides.

And the right e-bike. On a given hill my Lafree was really scary at 38 mph and I wouldn't take it further, but the eZee Torq 1 was completely calm and secure at 45 to 50 mph, much like a light motorbike's stability.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yeah I can imagine it would feel a bit scary.
Past 30mph my bike feels fine. But god knows what it would be like at those speeds.

Scared incase I'd fall off. The slide on my crash was 25mph and had enough bruises and grazes. Maybe I should put some motorcycle gear on before attempting it ;-)