soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
presta yes same valves you have atm

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ
D

Deleted member 4366

, the front was a different story and went on in a flash but could not get a seal.

i did get a seal after 30 mins with just a foot pump just had to wait for it to go off a bit just wasted half of what i put in it.
Have you tried the Easy Start method? It's fun as well as time-saving:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gubbins

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
If you can't find the adapter let me know I have a few and could post you one, no charge! You don't often hear those words in Yorkshire. Izzy
20161020_175113.jpg

Reactions: LeighPing

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The front tyre on my Haibike is already changed to tubeless, but there was only one valve in the box never got round to doing the back one.

You can guess what happened today can't you.

I couldn't get enough air into it to see where it was punctured and so had a long walk home pushing a heavy bike up some serious hills.

One good thing though, I found that the walk assist does work. It tales a few seconds then off it goes, put it into top gear and the hardest thing is keeping your finger pressed on the button.

First time for many years, I hope it's the last. I'm knackered.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The front tyre on my Haibike is already changed to tubeless, but there was only one valve in the box never got round to doing the back one.

You can guess what happened today can't you.

I couldn't get enough air into it to see where it was punctured and so had a long walk home pushing a heavy bike up some serious hills.

One good thing though, I found that the walk assist does work. It tales a few seconds then off it goes, put it into top gear and the hardest thing is keeping your finger pressed on the button.

First time for many years, I hope it's the last. I'm knackered.
Shame on you going out unprepared :oops:.
Tubes, patches a few rudimentary tools in my kit usually, except for yesterday as I found my multitool was not where it should be whwn I needed it. But just as easy to repair the pinch with wheel in situ.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have just re-read Eddies post "to go tubeless or not.." I fully respect all you guys because whatever the issue you know all about it, and SW is like a price comparison site with access to instruction vids on just about anything. But a lot of the detail goes over my head and I am never sure exactly what you are all trying to say..
With regard to a tubeless conversion, my tyre will not need any help sealing as its oh so tight to start with, but I worry about the rims, I have just taken it off again to take some snaps of the rim profile and the spoke holes/tape. Is it just a case of replacing that tape? Or, are the rubber strips incorporating a valve needed? The tyre was so hard to remove from the wheel that putting an extra rubber around might make it even harder. The wheel seems to be constructed in 2 parts, the inner that has the spoke fitment and the outer with an access hole above each spoke with a gap in between them. I dont know if this is normal or not..

Attachments

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
upload_2016-10-20_19-19-0.png

that is tubeless so all you need is rim tape ;)

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes and a valve tho you could use electrical tape as jst need to seal the holes.

after you put in the sealant and it goes off will seal it all up inside any way.

if you have a old tube cut the valve out of it and leave just enough to cover the hole inside and put it in the rim as normal.

tape the rim 2 times with some electrical tape put the tyre on and blast it on the rim with the compressor if there that tight should go on first time.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Phill, do the job properly or not at all.

The adhesive used in electrical tape will sooner or later fail, and rim tape needs to be the specific width for your rim. Electrical tape won't be the correct width, and I'd suggest choosing where you take advice from wisely.

Just two examples of rim tape for you. Each link only shown as an example, and not seller recommendation.

Firstly Caffe Latex, which I have yet to use, but reports are seemingly very good.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/effetto-caffelatex-tubeless-rim-tape/rp-prod150141?gs=1&gclid=CMqE5rSU6s8CFbUV0wodSs8MOA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Second Stans. I have used this with great success on the last three bikes.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-rim-tape/rp-prod38829

In respect of sealant. I didn't have any luck with Stans, and found it to ball up into a rubberiesd mess, very quickly. Others have had great success with it though, and if it was crap then the company would have gone out of business a very long time ago. They haven't and I can only assume that I was unlucky.

My prefered choice is Effetto Caffelatex, which I have yet to find fault with. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=effetto+caffelatex+tubeless+fluid&cat=product

Fitting of a tubeless kit has been covered in the other thread so there is no need to detail that again. :)

If you are still unsure, I'd recommend speaking to the cycle shop that supplied the bike to you. They have financially done very well out of you over the last few months, and I'm sure that they would be more than happy to advise or fit the kit for you. The kit is easy to fit your self, but if in doubt, then get them to do it for you.

I appreciate that going tubeless is an expensive undertaking when done correctly and not just a bodge job, but the expense is easily repayed time and time again. There is never a good time to get a flat tyre, and whilst a tubeless set up won't offer 100% protection, it is pretty close. :)

If you do go tubeless, still don't neglect taking along some means of puncture repair, be that a tube or tubeless repair kit.

Last edited:
  • Useful

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he is going for the slime stuff imo and electric tape wont last long was just to try it ;)

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
20161020_214930.jpg

Phill, this is what I have used...It's worked great for me.
I think you need to remove the existing rim tape and replace with Stans or Gorilla. Then refer to the earlier posts for completion, once you have done one wheel the other will be a "doddle"

• Useful

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If you do decided to tackle this job yourself, don't forget to buy some isopropyl alcohol cleaner and lint free cloth, to thoroughly wipe down and clean the rim before starting.

It seems to be something that never gets mentioned.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you do decided to tackle this job yourself, don't forget to buy some isopropyl alcohol cleaner and lint free cloth, to thoroughly wipe down and clean the rim before starting.

It seems to be something that never gets mentioned.
It does in all the vids I have seen and is stressed as important..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Shame on you going out unprepared :oops:.
Tubes, patches a few rudimentary tools in my kit usually, except for yesterday as I found my multitool was not where it should be whwn I needed it. But just as easy to repair the pinch with wheel in situ.
Oh I did take stuff, even the Aldi foam stuff that blows up the tyre didn't want to work. The only thing I didn't have was a replacement tube.
Still, you have to laugh.

Related Articles

Advertisers