Another tale of Punctures

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/72395/Slime_Pro_Tubeless_Ready_Sealant_Kit?gclid=CjwKEAjw1qHABRDU9qaXs4rtiS0SJADNzJisYwLFpp6FxxNxMJPB4akgmKastqduSmIeaUmslBoDORoCKG7w_wcB
Have mailed seller for compatibility as my rims are 25mm wide.
Good idea about bike shop and I need to go there to see if they have any interest in buying the spare battery..
I won't be rushing into anything and certainly not using insulation tape..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
What are you trying to achieve?

Tubeless has benefits, such as being able to run very low pressures without getting pinch flats, which is good if you are a keen mountain biker and appreciate the handling of the bike.

But, as the thread title suggests, if you just want to avoid punctures in less extreme riding than tubeless is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Better to spend your money on puncture resistant tyres.

The factory supplied ones are often the cheapo version.

I would look for a Schwalbe tyre with a similar tread with a high puncture resistance rating.

Something with 'Plus' in the name is all but puncture-proof.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What are you trying to achieve?

Tubeless has benefits, such as being able to run very low pressures without getting pinch flats, which is good if you are a keen mountain biker and appreciate the handling of the bike.

But, as the thread title suggests, if you just want to avoid punctures in less extreme riding than tubeless is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Better to spend your money on puncture resistant tyres.

The factory supplied ones are often the cheapo version.

I would look for a Schwalbe tyre with a similar tread with a high puncture resistance rating.

Something with 'Plus' in the name is all but puncture-proof.
I tried puncture resistant tyres and I still regularly got flats.. I have run for 18 months without a flat using slime tubes with oe tyres and thought tubeless was a logical progression

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

this rim/wheel is tubeless ready like mine as it has no holes for the spokes and is adjusted on the outside of the rim which makes it a lot more expensive.

this is what phill and Eddie has and you just need tape up the spoke holes with rim tape to run a tubeless setup.
upload_2016-10-21_0-19-26.png

both will work the same tho just the above needs rim tape to cover the holes to make it air tight.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I tried puncture resistant tyres and I still regularly got flats.. I have run for 18 months without a flat using slime tubes with oe tyres and thought tubeless was a logical progression

Tubeless may work for you, but as you've read, the kits can be a fiddle.

I know of a couple of riders who have gone tubeless, got a puncture, and gone back to tubes because of the mess and difficulty of fixing the flat.

The tubeless rims - as pictured by Soundwave - are a much better job, not least because the well rim is machined to seal the bead of the tyre rather than just hold it in place.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
If you do decided to tackle this job yourself, don't forget to buy some cleaner and lint free cloth, to thoroughly wipe down and clean the rim before starting.

It seems to be something that never gets mentioned.
I didn't have any isopropyl alcohol... I used vodka instead it worked fine except the bike wouldn't ride straight until the next morning and even then it was a bit sluggish.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Tubeless may work for you, but as you've read, the kits can be a fiddle.
I use the slime tubes too Phill. After having 2 punctures, in as many days, I considered going tubeless. Then I realised that the tyres I had on were quite thin and flimsy. So I replaced those for some thicker, inexpensive tyres.

In this video, you can see that the slime had tried to seal the puncture. Unfortunately, the hole was over 2mm'. Hence failure..

To remedy this problem in the future. I bought some Skabs, click to view.

skabs.png

So, if and when I get an oversized puncture in the future, it'll be easy to find the hole with the slime coming out, and 'touch wood', easy enough to seal with a skab patch. Minimal disruption.

Walking home was ok the first time. The second time was a chore. I hope my plan works if it happens again. :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Phill, do the job properly or not at all.

The adhesive used in electrical tape will sooner or later fail, and rim tape needs to be the specific width for your rim. Electrical tape won't be the correct width, and I'd suggest choosing where you take advice from wisely.

Just two examples of rim tape for you. Each link only shown as an example, and not seller recommendation.

Firstly Caffe Latex, which I have yet to use, but reports are seemingly very good.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/effetto-caffelatex-tubeless-rim-tape/rp-prod150141?gs=1&gclid=CMqE5rSU6s8CFbUV0wodSs8MOA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Second Stans. I have used this with great success on the last three bikes.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-rim-tape/rp-prod38829

In respect of sealant. I didn't have any luck with Stans, and found it to ball up into a rubberiesd mess, very quickly. Others have had great success with it though, and if it was crap then the company would have gone out of business a very long time ago. They haven't and I can only assume that I was unlucky.

My prefered choice is Effetto Caffelatex, which I have yet to find fault with. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=effetto+caffelatex+tubeless+fluid&cat=product

Fitting of a tubeless kit has been covered in the other thread so there is no need to detail that again. :)

If you are still unsure, I'd recommend speaking to the cycle shop that supplied the bike to you. They have financially done very well out of you over the last few months, and I'm sure that they would be more than happy to advise or fit the kit for you. The kit is easy to fit your self, but if in doubt, then get them to do it for you.

I appreciate that going tubeless is an expensive undertaking when done correctly and not just a bodge job, but the expense is easily repayed time and time again. There is never a good time to get a flat tyre, and whilst a tubeless set up won't offer 100% protection, it is pretty close. :)

If you do go tubeless, still don't neglect taking along some means of puncture repair, be that a tube or tubeless repair kit.
Hi Eddiie.
Spoke to bike shop this morning about tubeless and selling the spare battery, and their advice is , bearing in mind they know my usage, its not worth the effort or the expense and I should go with slime tubes as a compromise.

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I use the slime tubes too Phill. After having 2 punctures, in as many days, I considered going tubeless. Then I realised that the tyres I had on were quite thin and flimsy. So I replaced those for some thicker, inexpensive tyres.

In this video, you can see that the slime had tried to seal the puncture. Unfortunately, the hole was over 2mm'. Hence failure..

View attachment 16063

So, if and when I get an oversized puncture in the future, it'll be easy to find the hole with the slime coming out, and 'touch wood', easy enough to seal with a skab patch. Minimal disruption.

Walking home was ok the first time. The second time was a chore. I hope my plan works if it happens again. :)
Your dog must be pretty fit!!

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

View attachment 16063

How do you do the click to view thing without copying the whole address?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Spoke to bike shop this morning about tubeless and selling the spare battery, and their advice is , bearing in mind they know my usage, its not worth the effort or the expense and I should go with slime tubes as a compromise.

for the sake of just spending 25 quid for the valves tape and sealant going tubeless will mean no flats at all and not cost that much.

all you have to do is top up the sealant every 3 months and the next time the tyre will come off is when its worn out.

tubeless is
lighter
can run less psi in the tyre
you will not get pinch flats as no tube
sealant will fill most holes that slime tube wont

and you can still run a tube if you ever needed to.

Related Articles

Advertisers