Any UK Bafang hub motor suppliers ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've actually got a Dahon Curve at work, but its a 20" model.
Is that the posher Curve i3?

I'm thinking of putting my BBS02 750W crank motor along with my 52v battery on the Dahon just to see what its like to ride, I bet that will get up any hill i can throw at it !!!
My ancient Dahon Helios P8 with BBS01B (8 SRAM X8 gears) has managed every hill but one at 45 degrees - my balance was off, the motor could have managed it, I think. I'd expect the hub gears on the i3 to break with the BBS02's torque.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Ahh, I was wrong, I bought this folding bike not long after I broke my leg (2 years ago) to help me get down the hill to work from the car park as i was on crutches at the time but clearly hadnt thought how i was going to pedal it back up a 14% hill for half a mile !!! So I rode it down the hill to work, and thats where it has stayed !

It actually a Tern Link C7, not a Dahon Curve, I think my crash affected my memory as well !!! :p

I've added a pic, and also a picture of my new electric Fiido D2

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Here's a couple of pics of my Bafang BBS02 controller that i managed to blow (by wheelspinning in the dirt!!!) stupid really, should have been more sensible with it, I've managed to get all the potting compound off and have unsoldered most of the transistors, and have some more powerful transistors to solder in, I've gone with CSD19536KCS MOSFETs which i am hoping are a lot tougher, I'll solder them in and repot and get it tested before installing the BBS02 kit on my Tern folding bike.

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here's a couple of pics of my Bafang BBS02 controller that i managed to blow (by wheelspinning in the dirt!!!) stupid really, should have been more sensible with it, I've managed to get all the potting compound off and have unsoldered most of the transistors, and have some more powerful transistors to solder in, I've gone with CSD19536KCS MOSFETs which i am hoping are a lot tougher, I'll solder them in and repot and get it tested
After I killed my BBS01B controller, I never got the chance to try something like that - replaced under warranty. How long did it take to get the potting compound off, and how did you do it? Looks very clean. I'm looking forward to seeing your repair. When the new controller dies I'll attempt similar, secure in the knowledge I have a brand new spare controller to hand (ordered well in advance, because who's got time to wait for a delivery from China?) if my repair doesn't work.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Yikes, I'm not liking the look of those failed welds !, I also do welding and looking closely at those, they were welded at too low a power and didnt achieve any penetration into the base metal which is where the strength comes from. They've relied on the strength of the weld filler material which is always the weakest link.

So now, My Tern is going up for sale next week !! I'm not riding that again!

So now i need to find a donor folding bike for my BBS02, I do like the look of Bromptons, such a nice compact folding mechanism, but the way the wheel hinges into the fold, looks like it doesnt have space for a mid drive motor?

I've also spotted a Paselec PX6 folding bike for sale near me, but its a 750W hub motor at 48v, probably too much power for commuting and it looks like quite bulky once folded and my car is a hatchback so a bit limited for boot access really.

Lots of things to consider !

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This guy converted his (now quite rare) Dahon Jetstream with a BBS02. Is he alive? Unsure - his last posted video was 2 years ago:

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
After I killed my BBS01B controller, I never got the chance to try something like that - replaced under warranty. How long did it take to get the potting compound off, and how did you do it? Looks very clean. I'm looking forward to seeing your repair. When the new controller dies I'll attempt similar, secure in the knowledge I have a brand new spare controller to hand (ordered well in advance, because who's got time to wait for a delivery from China?) if my repair doesn't work.
I used a stainless ice pick to remove the bulk of the potting compound, then some dental picks to get the little bits out between the components fairly delicately, It took about 2 hours, but i was watching tv at the same time and kept stopping, the key is to remove lots of small bits rather than trying to remove big chunks otherwise you will damage the underlying components.
When you come to remove the transistors, cut the legs first as it makes desoldering the individual legs easier, although I do have a 12mm bit for my soldering iron that can heat all 3 legs at once and this was the quickest and easiest way but you need quite a lot of heat for this so a decent iron is needed. but either way works really.

I'll post pictures when i resolder the new transistors.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
This guy converted his (now quite rare) Dahon Jetstream with a BBS02. Is he alive? Unsure - his last posted video was 2 years ago:

Nice conversion!, I bought a Dahon Jetstream about 10 years ago now and didnt like it really but not because it was a bad bike, it was good, but i decided i didnt like folding bikes as they felt unstable at speed, but now i have a broken leg and dont like any speed on a bike really, and need to carry my bike in the boot of my car with me, folding bikes are the best thing since sliced bread ! especially if they have an electric motor on them !

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I bought a Dahon Jetstream about 10 years ago now and didnt like it really but not because it was a bad bike, it was good, but i decided i didnt like folding bikes as they felt unstable at speed
I haven't tried a Jetstream, but my Helios P8 is stable at speed - almost rides like a real bike. 52kph+ is rock solid (downhill pictured):

This review of the SL sold it to me:

Manufactured in April 2006, it's now a old aluminium frame, and I do worry a bit about fatigue... which is why I'm keeping my ebay eye open for a new old stock Helios frame, as those do turn up very occasionally. For their newer designs, Dahon have dispensed with the reinforcement bar over the hinge, which is also a handy carrying handle when the bike is folded. I wish they'd kept the "Rebar". That being said, I haven't yet found "Help! My bike's snapped!" photos of Dahon's newer frames.

750W hub ebike - beefy looking frame, weighs 30.5kg:

Last edited:
Reactions: Topdonkey

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Sorry, bit late replying, but Thankyou for finding this, thats a good price, I ordered it yesterday, so I'll calculate spoke lengths once it arrives and get those ordered and then the wheel building begins :cool:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
blimey, thats a bit heavy ! my Fiido D2 is only 19 kilos !

I'm tempted to build a Brompton with a lightweight motor, but everyone seems to do front wheel drive and i want rear wheel drive really, plus they are really expensive ! I'd have to do some saving to get one, but will probably just stick with my Fiido in the end.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There are Litepro Brompton clones - do check out Youtube reviews, they have issues. Also on AliExpress but I can't search using this computer:

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
That's an interesting find, but I'm back and focused on getting my 500w kt controller working on my Fiido once the new 16" rim arrives from China.

One thing I really like on my Fiido is the disc brakes and I don't understand why Brompton don't fit them as standard.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Brompton purists might have a heart attack if discs were default!

Reactions: Topdonkey

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
My new rim has arrived from China !, Its ok quality, feels nice and strong, I'll need to debur all the holes are they are quite sharp with lots of swarf chippings hanging off the hole edges, but i'm please with it for the price, and its 16" and 36 hole which you just cannot buy in this country for some reason.

I've measured it up for spoke ordering, and come up with needing 18 x 84.5mm spokes and 18 x 82.5mm spokes. The spoke hole size in the hub is 3mm, so should i order 3mm spokes ? or can i use 2.5 or even 2.3mm size ? I havent built wheels for a long time (10+ years!) so cant remember all the details now, but i'm thinking of using Sapim black spokes as i always liked that make and it should look good.

Does anyone know of any good UK based suppliers of custom cut and threaded spokes ? I'd prefer rolled threads if possible, but wouldn't rule out cut threads, and i'm guessing that Brass nipples are still the best to use ? and would you recomend washers under the nipples or not bother with such a small wheel ?

Thankyou