Bafang 350 watt BBS01 - could I sell it?

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
That's good news about the cable. I use the same thing to tweak my BBS02 every now and again, so if you have any problems with connecting to the Bafang software, then post again and I'll help out.
The only issue I had was finding a suitable driver for Windows 10.

As for the 350w marking on the BBS01 motor unit. I would still get rid of that, but it is entirely up to you.

Happy riding :)
Thanks its good to know someone who has used one already, also I am wondering how to effectively scratch the 350 engraving, any ideas? a wire brish head on a drill will prob be too soft...thats as far as I've got with thinking on that one...

with the regards the settings I found a very detailed artice online and there is a lot of talk of frying the controller, I am guessing that downsizing it will not be a problem...Am I right in thinking that it will make it legal tho? It would be good to really know this is the way forward, I use a mac so am gonna have to jumo thru a few hoops to get a PC for the bafang software...

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
The 350 BBS pulls near max amps and watts according to my watt meter for this though you have to select pas 9. Generally though 4- 9 a appears to be the norm though 14 - 16a when climbing, the main thing though is to up the pas level to give more amps when climbing so as not to strain the motor and to keep cadence high. If you climb in low pas you will evenyually overheat and fry the controller.
That sounds pretty scary...the bike did stop working going up hill under load back in december...I thought it was the battery...what are the sympoms of teh controller being damaged? I have never changed any settings, are you suggesting getting more power assist settings set up?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My bbs01 is in stock mode and have not found the need to even think about changing any settings it has 9 assist levels as standard.
With regards to controller damage I would think it wouldn't work full stop if a fet or 2 are blown.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
what are the sympoms of teh controller being damaged?
I can confirm what Nealh says in post #23, from personal experience unfortunately :(
The bike will power up, but the motor won't spin. The display will sometimes throw up an error code, but not always.

One tip for BBSxx controller and drivetrain longevity, is to ensure you are in the correct gear at all times. Always keep the bike in a gear where the Bafang motor is spinning nice and fast. You can judge by the sound it makes, whether to drop down a gear and keep that motor spinning.

Never standing start in a high gear either. It's tempting to do this due to the high torque that the Bafang produces. This puts a massive strain on the controller and drivetrain though, and is a recipe for destroying something pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Controllers for the bbs are available so if you do fry one they can be repaired.

Reactions: sylkie

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
That's good news about the cable. I use the same thing to tweak my BBS02 every now and again, so if you have any problems with connecting to the Bafang software, then post again and I'll help out.
The only issue I had was finding a suitable driver for Windows 10.

As for the 350w marking on the BBS01 motor unit. I would still get rid of that, but it is entirely up to you.

Happy riding :)
Sooo, I am thinking of getting ready for the cable and wondering if you could link me to any software sources? :)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Download link here:

http://1drv.ms/1jvD2Y3

Change file format (rename file) from controllerst.bjh to controllerst.zip

Extract Zip files and install.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think the OP's BBS01 is not powerful enough for 11T at the rear for where he lives.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think the OP's BBS01 is not powerful enough for 11T at the rear for where he lives.
Totally agree trex. I swapped to a 12T rear cog, and I'm running a BBS02.

These units need to be kept spinning fast, and not laboured for any period of time. The 250w will struggle to keep momentum going with an 11T on inclines.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My usage of top gear is only downhill and/or above 25 km/h. When you have several kilometres of slope it is disappointing to spin out at 40 km/h. There is a 4 km/h difference between an 11 and a 12 and the former spins out at around 51 km/h at a Cadence of 90.

I am more worried about the 28 tooth end not being enough to keep up a decent cadence climbing for over 5 minutes at 20 km/h. Although it should be alright as for the moment I do it with a 24 tooth.

My calculations are based on http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Kinninvie saves the day. Sorry, did mean to get back to you about this one, but..... ok, I have no excuse lol.

If you have any problems linking to the software, then don't hesitate to post here ;)

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
Can anyone help me with understanding the process of programming with the lead, I have a 36v battery so does that mean I have to reduce the amps to 6.9 v to make it legal 250v? is there a way of measuring the voltage output? And does anyone have experience of insuring an elec bike that has been altered from its original output?

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
They are the same motor and controller. The stamping in the casing is different and the controller is programmed in the factory BUT a programming cable is available and many "250 W" motors have been reprogrammed to 18 amps (along with other values).

Actual Amps would be 7 A x 36 V = 252 W and 9 A x 36 V = 324 W with the 15 and 18 A being peak Amps available.

I would say: set top speed to 25 km/h and go about your business, no one is going to turn the bike upside down to see what is stamped on the motor unless you run over a little old lady on a pedestrian crossing...
Great, so I will get the lead tomorrow and hope to set it up early next week when the child is at school, will the motor still pull with such a drastic reduction in amps?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No you set max Amps to 15 Amps the same as the 250 W motor. You do not want to turn it down any more than that. Your 9 assistance levels are percentages of those 15 Amps.

You can have a 25 Amp BBS 01 and it will be legal as long as it is marked 250 W, maximum speed 25 km/h - there is a guy in Norway who sells those.

What you are trying to do is create a legal footing for yourself in the unlikely case that you cause an accident and your motor is checked. By turning the max Amps down to 15 you are putting it on a par with the 250 W version of the same motor - you can say "my motor is the same as a 250 W BBS01, here have a look at its programming"

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
No you set max Amps to 15 Amps the same as the 250 W motor. You do not want to turn it down any more than that. Your 9 assistance levels are percentages of those 15 Amps.

You can have a 25 Amp BBS 01 and it will be legal as long as it is marked 250 W, maximum speed 25 km/h - there is a guy in Norway who sells those.

What you are trying to do is create a legal footing for yourself in the unlikely case that you cause an accident and your motor is checked. By turning the max Amps down to 15 you are putting it on a par with the 250 W version of the same motor - you can say "my motor is the same as a 250 W BBS01, here have a look at its programming"
i am a bit confused as I thought you got wattage by multiplying amps by volts...and where would i get a marking that says 250w, do you know?
So many questions...also about insurance and how they would see the system...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The confusion is simple . It's a rating that the motor must be capable of running continuously at 250 watts minimum.
So the manufactures rate a 500 watt capable motor as 250 watt and it's a legal motor. It just so happens that peak power can be much higher hence the legal motor is set with 15a max, and can be 34 to 42 volts so Upto max of 630 watt input to motor, quite stonkey I think.

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
to be fair, the law on this point is confusing, although there are parallels in the car industry in which emissions are tested under factory conditions and return one value, but in the real world are significantly higher.